• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ECU upgrade

This is my first thread so forgive the inexperience. I want to upgrade my ECU to get better power, response and no rev-limiter. Im not floating in $ so Im trying to do it the most effective way. Bought a chip and found out my ECU had the prom permanently in place. Would appreciate any suggestions you fellow members have.

Thanks

surf4cars said:
This is my first thread so forgive the inexperience. I want to upgrade my ECU to get better power, response and no rev-limiter. Im not floating in $ so Im trying to do it the most effective way. Bought a chip and found out my ECU had the prom permanently in place. Would appreciate any suggestions you fellow members have.
Thanks

take it someplace where they can remove the OEM EPROM without frying the mainboard or damaging the OEM chip, and then replace it with a ZIF socket. That way you can change back for SMOG testing.

With the realitively stock engine is power even made after the rev limiter? Stock peak hp is around 7250 so having a higher rev limit doens't do much good but potentially harm the engine.

surf4cars said:
Im not floating in $
If you can't afford to replace the engine if you overrev the engine, then installing an ECU without a rev limiter is not a good idea.

And satan_srv is correct; torque is dropping fast enough as it approaches redline that you won't get greater acceleration with a relatively stock engine by eliminating the rev limiter. (Someone did calculations at one point of ideal shift points in each gear, and they came out in the 7700-8000 range - close enough to redline that, for all practical purposes, shifting at redline maximizes acceleration, but also proof that the car wouldn't accelerate faster without the rev limiter.)

So are chips really worth their weight if you are driving an NA engine?

NeSX said:

I never recommend 'chips'. Every engine requires a specific tune, however since I've been told people haven't had much luck with simple MAP modifiers like an S-AFC I would recommend if you want to tune your car just suck it up and buy an AEM EMS and do it right the first time. In the long run you will always get the most power and you can swap in the stock ecu anytime you need to.

NeSX said:

some are some are not, and it depends how much they cost if the HP/$ ratio works out for you. My personal feeling is that at $50.00/HP on a stock motor that ours works pretty well, and I'm also quite sure that an AEM @ $2000.00 including the dyno tuning time will not net you a lot more HP than the 5 you will get from the chip. (you would need to get 40HP out of it for the $ per/hp to be the same, not likely)

On a highly modified motor then that might not be the case, however on a IEM NSX with cams etc, our chips nets +12RWHP or $20.83/1HP :D

YHPMV

I was wondering about this the other day.

For example, a car like the acura RSX-S. You can re-flash the ecu by sending it to a company called hondata (www.hondata.com), and not only do they raise the rev limiter (not remove it), they retune everything and you get a bunch of HP torque, a lower vtec switch over point.
This one thing brought my friends car from a 14.7@94 to 13.9@100.

Maybe you guys should call hondata :)

satan_srv said:
I never recommend 'chips'. Every engine requires a specific tune, however since I've been told people haven't had much luck with simple MAP modifiers like an S-AFC I would recommend if you want to tune your car just suck it up and buy an AEM EMS and do it right the first time. In the long run you will always get the most power and you can swap in the stock ecu anytime you need to.

The AEM is crap, the throttle response is slow and it reacts to weather changes badly. I have a remapped chip in my car and it runs great and i did not have change the rev limit. My car ran a 12.5 at 109 and cut a 1.86 60 foot.

This is because your EMS is not setup properly. The base map is rudimentry, and needs fine tuning.

Stay tuned for the release of our stage 1-3 NA tune packages.

take care,
-- Chris

DPG said:
The AEM is crap, the throttle response is slow and it reacts to weather changes badly. I have a remapped chip in my car and it runs great and i did not have change the rev limit. My car ran a 12.5 at 109 and cut a 1.86 60 foot.

Well aware of those things. It was. They released the computer before it was ready. If someone wants to do it right, then they should do it with a motec.

Last edited:
Back