• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Eliminate the Regional Forums

I would like to recommend that the regional forums (Northeast, Midwest, etc) be eliminated and the messages folded into the "General NSX Discussion" forum. The problem with having them separate (the way they currently are) is that they are VERY easy to ignore, either by those who have their browser favorite set to the general discussion forum, or by those who don't bother scrolling down on the list of forums to see the regional forums and whether anybody's posted. Furthermore, there's not a whole lot of traffic on the regional forums, so they won't overwhelm the general discussion forum in any way.

From looking at the number of posts and the visits that come in, I think that just stressing the regional mailing lists would be a good replacement for the regional forums. Just my .02

I think that just stressing the regional mailing lists would be a good replacement for the regional forums.

That could be done also (i.e. as part of eliminating the regional forums).

As an aside... for whatever reason, there are some people who choose to participate in the NSXprime forum(s) but not in the e-mail lists. I don't think we can necessarily conclude that they aren't aware of the regional e-mail lists. Maybe they just don't want to receive too many e-mails in their inbox?

I would rather continue on with the regional forum's. I happen to like them, and find them a very convenient way to get in touch with my local NSX'ers...although I must admit that the number of people who check in to the regional forum can be counted on 1 hand..
It could just be the small number of owners in the WA-OR area.

I think the concern was not that the traffic would overwhelm the general forum, but that the general forum already had so much traffic that regional messages would be harder to find and keep track of, especially for those who do not check in very frequently.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 10 April 2001).]

For what is worth I wouldn't mind if you got rid of them as well, for the same points that nsxtasy makes.

Maybe a consolidated "regional events" or just "event" one would keep some clutter off the other forums?

In any event, thanks for even listening to this "bitching"
smile.gif

On a related topic, I'm trying to find where to get on the nsx listserver. Could you point me in the right direction?
I don't know if it's an nsxprime list server or separate, but I found out it existed while I was at Larry's shop. I definitely want to get in on that.

I'd vote to keep them. Reason being, besides the NSXCA listserv, there is no medium for all regions to be able to communicate within each other.

I like the NSXPrime region boards as they are independent of the NSXCA and list moderators (Lud is pretty hands-off, so he doesn't count).

JIMO of course...

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Lud is pretty hands-off

Actually, Lud is quite the opposite; he's STRICTER than the current or previous administrators of the e-mail lists. He promptly removes any personal attacks, and moves off-topic topics to the off-topic forum. Of course, both of these activities are unique to bulletin board forums and cannot be done with an unmoderated e-mail list, and are virtually imperceptible to most forum members. But he's there and he's doing a great job at it IMHO.

Opinions on keeping vs. eliminating the regional forums seem pretty split. Given that, I am inclined to keep them around for now unless a bunch of people jump in and vote one way in the near future.

I noticed nsxtasy just posted notes about a couple regional events. He posted the main message in the regional forum as well as a note in the main forum with a link to the regional forum. That is a great solution, the only down-side is that it it involves an extra step for the person posting about the event.

Ideally the software would let you flag a message/thread to appear in multiple forums when you posted it. Unfortunately the program does not support that feature yet.

Re: Moderation of the forums... Mostly what I do is move threads to the proper forums and delete for-sale ads. I've only deleted a few unpleasant threads, mostly "some other car vs. nsx" arguments started by non-NSX owners.

The few times I've seen NSX owners get upset with each other, I usually just post a reply to the thread asking them to chill out and that's the end of it. Luckily most NSX owners seem to be both mature and secure enough to not feel the need to put down other people's cars or engage in personal attacks when someone expresses an opinion they do not agree with.

Back