• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gen2 Forums

Just a question about the gen 2 area, @Honcho , is there still a need to keep it secret? I can understand five years ago why there was a need, but does that need for secrecy still exist? There are a lot of us who are gen 1 owners who like and have interest in the gen 2...

[MENTION=32021]neuronbob[/MENTION] I started this thread here, since it has more to do with the site than with [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION]'s discussion thread.

Gen2 is a touchy subject. Basically, new owners, many of whom just spent $200k on a car they were really excited about, came here to talk about it and were greeted with lots of non-owners telling them how dumb they were for buying the NC1. Those same non-owners then proceeded to nitpick the NC1 and incessantly magazine race it against other exotics, none of which they could ever afford. Can you imagine that if it were you? Lud created the private forum to help deflect some of this, but over 200 NC1 owners moved off this forum and onto a private FB group. Criticism is ok to a certain extent, but a lot of that behavior was inappropriate trolling, as far as I'm concerned. Gen2 owners are concerned if they come back to Prime, it will happen again.

The way I see it is that NSX Prime is a site for people who either own a NSX now, owned one (or more) for a very long time, or are thinking about buying one. It's also for fans of the NSX. It is not for internet trolls or drama starters. Conduct like what occurred before will not fly around here as long as I am calling the shots, and we have a new team of mods in place to help keep it that way. Instead, NSX Prime is a place for NSX lovers to talk and learn about the car they love, and we want to encourage that as much as possible.

With that said, we're kicking around what to do with the Gen2 forums because we want to convince these NC1 owners that it is safe to come back to Prime. Right now, I'm thinking about locking down most of the forums to verified owners only, but leaving the prospective owner forum open to registered Prime members. Basically, all registered members can read the Gen2 forums (except the private forum), but only actual NC1 owners can post in the restricted forums. The private forum likely will stay private because it needs to be a safe space for real owners to post criticism/concerns about the NC1. But, all members can read and post in the prospective owner forum, which will be heavily policed.

Thanks for the reply, [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] ! What a shame so many people see fit to troll and bully people, even in the NSX world. I remember five years ago on the forum and it was pretty bad then for NC1 owners.

I'm staying mum on this one. ;)

You were rightfully pissed. I really felt bad for your situation and how it was handled (badly). But that’s off topic here.

I'm torn on this one. I've had my moments with the NC1. I've loved it enough to come close to buying one early, then was disappointed, then acceptance of what it is. I do think the current climate is significantly less hostile.

I'm leaning towards a more open NC1 environment to test the waters. We will monitor it closely and if it gets out of hand it can be set to private again. The upside seems worth it...

This is basically how most Facebook groups and popular forums in general start of. It has to have an open format to catch momentum and reach critical mass of users.

I agree, let open it up so all registered Prime members can read the post and see what the NC1 Owners are raving or complaining about on their NSX's.

Kids that own Civic's and Prelude's in the 90's are now buying NSX's, and they did not get any useful information on FB....they came on Prime.

So let's open it up

Bram

Last edited:
I concur with opening up the NC1 forums. We now have an army of moderators to throttle the trolls.

I concur with opening up the NC1 forums. We now have an army of moderators to throttle the trolls.
Agreed.

To some degree, if people are getting butthurt too easily over what some desktop warrior says, they need to develop a thicker skin. It is the internet. If the person is attacking, disrespectful, trolling etc, then users should be able to use the report function and let the moderators take action and clean up threads as needed and get the conversation back on topic. With more moderators around, warnings can be issued, and problem users/trolls/drama queens can be banned swiftly.

From my experience as a moderator on another car site for the past 10 years, when there is a good team of moderators in place, members typically stay for a long time and share their knowledge and experience rather than going elsewhere like Facebook.

As stated, open it up and see what happens. If it's unmanageable or things turn ugly, set it back to private. Personally, I know I would like to learn more about the NC1 and respectfully participate in conversations, especially now that used NC1's are becoming more and more affordable.

I just got access to the owners site and say keep it private. There is personal info there that needs to be scrubbed if it’s ever opened. Owners shared more in the private setting. Names, locations, etc.

Good point,,,before a once private section gets public access the individuals need time to review and alter as needed before hand.

I think the private forum is going to stay private, but it should only really be used for serious or controversial issues with the car and/or Acura/dealers. The rest should post in general discussion or the specific sub-forums.

@neuronbob I started this thread here, since it has more to do with the site than with @RYU's discussion thread.

Gen2 is a touchy subject. Basically, new owners, many of whom just spent $200k on a car they were really excited about, came here to talk about it and were greeted with lots of non-owners telling them how dumb they were for buying the NC1. Those same non-owners then proceeded to nitpick the NC1 and incessantly magazine race it against other exotics, none of which they could ever afford. Can you imagine that if it were you? Lud created the private forum to help deflect some of this, but over 200 NC1 owners moved off this forum and onto a private FB group. Criticism is ok to a certain extent, but a lot of that behavior was inappropriate trolling, as far as I'm concerned. Gen2 owners are concerned if they come back to Prime, it will happen again.

The way I see it is that NSX Prime is a site for people who either own a NSX now, owned one (or more) for a very long time, or are thinking about buying one. It's also for fans of the NSX. It is not for internet trolls or drama starters. Conduct like what occurred before will not fly around here as long as I am calling the shots, and we have a new team of mods in place to help keep it that way. Instead, NSX Prime is a place for NSX lovers to talk and learn about the car they love, and we want to encourage that as much as possible.

With that said, we're kicking around what to do with the Gen2 forums because we want to convince these NC1 owners that it is safe to come back to Prime. Right now, I'm thinking about locking down most of the forums to verified owners only, but leaving the prospective owner forum open to registered Prime members. Basically, all registered members can read the Gen2 forums (except the private forum), but only actual NC1 owners can post in the restricted forums. The private forum likely will stay private because it needs to be a safe space for real owners to post criticism/concerns about the NC1. But, all members can read and post in the prospective owner forum, which will be heavily policed.

So as a newly minted NC1 owner, how do I access the private forum?

provide your vin to honcho via pm

I think everyone should be able to read the posts but only owners can comment.

Driving regularly this car is a whole world away from test driving one or being a passenger. I had been in many NC1's but owning one and learning the car has been a wonderful surprise. With the different modes it's like having a street car and track car all in one. This car drives differently than what I expected and I have driven many cars in my career.

I would not like to have people commenting on the car when they have had no real seat time and want to do magazine racing and be silly.

Last edited:
I think the private forum is going to stay private, but it should only really be used for serious or controversial issues with the car and/or Acura/dealers. The rest should post in general discussion or the specific sub-forums.

I suppose that’s a fair compromise, particularly with the revelation above that folks were sharing personal info in the private forum. I’m still a potential NC1 owner (though at this point, it’s going to be a bit before I can buy one...kid’s schooling takes precedence and I no longer have that “fu” money, LOL and sigh...) and definitely have interest.

PM sent.

Back