• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

elite XC on CBS...what a joke

just wanted to share what i thought of that...way to put MMA back about 5 years in joe blow publics mind:frown:

For the show to be on mainstream tv...I think that they did well. A couple of fights were stopped prematurely, but the reason is fear of MMA being too bloody for tv. As people get past the shock of human cockfighting, they will allow more to happen before stopping the fights.

. As people get past the shock of human cockfighting, they will allow more to happen before stopping the fights.

what? first off NONE of the fights where stopped due to being "too bloody"
the ref should have called the kimbo fight after he was not defending, nor attacking...the ref even said, on camera as the second round ended "those punches were not hurting kimbo"...he has ZERO ability nor attourity to make that desicion or comment.... the scott/robbie fight was bloodier than the kimbo fight.

and your "human cockfighting" comment is ignorant

its also disgustiong how they are giving this guy tomato cans (which almost/should have/did) beat him...they have SOOOOOOOOOOO much riding on this hack, he has to win of thier ORG will crumble.
they are taking the worst of boxing, and the worst of wrestling, and adding some MMA.....its embarrassing.

I can kinda see the call on the scott/robbie fight....scott did say, "i cant see yet but want to fight" since it had only been 2 minutes of the allowed 5 minutes the doctor should have given him the remaining 3 minutes to see if his vision cleared. I am 99.99999% sure scott felt this is how it would happen, which is why he even said anything.

i have one question too...since brett rodgers had already beaten Thompson...why was tompson, who has not won a fight in awhile fighting Kimbo? Why was it not Brett Rodgers, who is alot better than Thompson....sounds to me like they HAD to have Kimbo win....
weak weak weak........

Its going to be embarrasing to now have to defend MMA to all of my friends who come over for other MMA events, but are casual fans...

the production value was horrable, the event sold only 8000 seats, and it was free......I think this alone should tell the story of how bad this was...
here is a nice little writeup from Yahoo...........

NEWARK, N.J. – The closest Kimbo Slice came to providing the type of street beatdown that marked his rise to YouTube infamy came during Saturday nights’s Elite XC post-fight press conference.

The hyped heavyweight street king from Miami struggled with James “Colossus” Thompson before putting him away in the third round of the main event of the first prime-time network mixed martial arts card.

And fellow fighter Brett Rogers wasn’t impressed. “I gotta be real,” said the unbeaten heavyweight. “I thought you tapped.”

Kimbo shot up out of his seat and said “that sounds like a challenge,” giving Rogers his trademark glare. A couple dozen people got in between the two fighters before the two could brawl backyard style.

Slice’s posse spent the next several minutes staring at Rogers, but Rogers wasn’t the only person raising questions after Slice took some time to beat his British opponent, who came into the night a loser in five of his seven previous fights.

In the end, Kimbo gave the announced crowd of 8,033 at the Prudential Center what it came to see, delivering an early third-round TKO that would have been a knockout had it gone on another 20 seconds.

“It was a tough-ass fight,” said Slice. “I never underesimtated James. He used his weight well, had a good little minute it on the ground. He had a good little ground and pound.”

But how did it look to the viewers at home? Kimbo’s buzz had largely been fueled by the clips of his YouTube fights, where he had mainly crushed unsuspecting rubes in a matter of seconds. Saturday night’s promotion heavily leaned on Slice, leading viewers to believe another quick KO was on the way.

“We’ve put a tremendous burden on Kimbo Slice,” said Elite XC promoter Gary Shaw. “We’ve set the bar so high that anything other than a tremendous performance is going to seem like a letdown.”

The hardcore mixed martial arts fan might be able to appreciate some noticeable improvements in Slice’s game. He demonstrated the basics of ground defense, such as the time he kicked Thompson off in order to scramble to his feet in the first round. And he also took the feet to the ground and went for a guillotine submission.

Near the end of the second round, Thompson got Slice in trouble on the ground. The Manchester, England native pinned Slice on the ground, isolated his arms, and began raining down elbows, with Kimbo getting saved by the end of the round. But Rogers, and several readers chiming in on our MMA experts blog, felt Kimbo tapped, something he vigorously denied after the fact.

“Not one time did I tap,” said Slice. “I didn’t make any gesture of tapping. If he got me into a submission, he would have had to break something, because tapping isn’t in my repertoire.”

The judges weren’t sure how to take the fight, as one scored the second round 10-8 Thompson while another scored it 10-9 Slice.

If experts can’t figure out what to make of what they’re seeing, then the casual fan at home must have been wondering what the fuss was about.

“It’s not about me,” said Slice. “I can take a little ground and pounding, I won’t be tapping out from that. I’m still a baby at the game, I’ve got a lot of room to grow. I won’t be smoking as much, because I’ve got a lot of training to do.”

The Kimbo show was the main event of a mixed bag of action in the network prime-time debut, which included Gina Carano’s fantastic win over Kaitlin Young in the fight of the night.

But the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which oversaw the event, had a lightning-quick trigger finger on fight stoppages, apparently not wanting to let unpalatable scenes play out on network TV.

Both Rogers’ win over Jon Murphy and Joe Villasenor’s TKO of Phil Baroni were stopped as soon as the fight hit the ground. Robbie Lawler’s no contest against Scott Smith in the middleweight title fight was stopped right at the moment a methodical match was beginning to turn into a dramatic struggle.

“For TV, we had a bit of everything, we had blood, we had intrigue, we had some controversy,” said Shaw. “We had a little bit of everything. … I never wanted this fight to end.”

The pacing of the show suggest the promotion needs to work out the kinks before their second broadcast. CBS viewers got less than nine minutes of action over the first hour and a half of the broadcast. The show also ran more than 45 minutes over its allotted time, no doubt sending network station affiliate general managers into apoplectic fits as they waited to cut to their local news. Such an overage would be unheard of on an Ultimate Fighting Championship telecast.

The broadcast was well into overtime when Kimbo kicked his game up another gear. He clobbered Thompson with a big right hand in his first strike of the final round, opening a gusher on the Brit’s right ear. Kimbo went in for the kill and rocked Thompson with his big fists. The referee stopped it before things got out of hand.

“I’m disappointed,” said the affable Thompson (14-9). “I thought I had a great chance. I thought I deserved it. I don’t blame people for asking why I was in here getting this fight. I just want to entertain, I’m an MMA fighter.”

Was it entertaining enough for the casual viewer to turn in a second time? “That is up to the fans to answer,” Slice said. “I think I did alright. They saw me go for a few things and succeed. They saw a good fight, that’s what its about.”

His promoter, however, didn’t wait for the fans to answer. “Kimbo pulled it out,” said Shaw. “He did what he had to do, I still believe he’s a superstar, I haven’t changed my opinion one bit.”

sounds like Shaw wants to be the next Don King.

more yahoo....

It sounded like such a good idea when the news broke a few months ago that CBS would broadcast a series of mixed martial arts cards in prime time.

But after watching its effort on Saturday’s Elite XC show from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., the good news might be if CBS opts not to do another show.

These were supposed to be the professionals who would show the amateurs at the Ultimate Fighting Championship, who do their own production, how it’s supposed to be done.

And while neophyte play-by-play man Gus Johnson acquitted himself well and analysts Mauro Ranallo and Frank Shamrock didn’t embarrass themselves, the broadcast dragged on interminably.

There was more chatting than “The Tonight Show.” Fighters were introduced as they made long, slow walks to the cage, then were introduced again once they hit the cage. Given that the show went 45 minutes over its allotted time, what do you want to bet the ring walks will be eliminated if there is another show on CBS?

For some reason, particularly early in the broadcast, CBS chose to use its overhead camera to repeatedly show Elite XC’s skanky-looking cheerleaders doing nothing more than shaking their butts.

This wouldn’t have been so bad had there actually been a fight on the air every now and then. But after the show had been on the air for 32 minutes, there had been 61 seconds of actual fighting. When it was 70 minutes into the show, there had been just 2:12 of fighting.

The whole show was built around Kimbo Slice, the Internet-generated star whose street fights made him into something of a mythical figure in the sport before he’d ever faced a serious opponent.

Slice’s name and face was everywhere in the days and weeks leading up to the bout. Considering the way this dragged on, though, you have to wonder how many folks were still awake when the bell rang to begin Slice’s bout with James Thompson at 11:27 p.m. ET, nearly a full half-hour after the show was supposed to have been over.

While it was mostly C-level talent on display, the fighters by and large held up their end of the bargain. Brett Rogers delivered a one-punch knockout of one-time Syracuse linebacker Jon Murphy in just 1:01 in the first fight of the night.

After glorifying loutish middleweight Phil Baroni as some sort of star – ignoring the fact he’d lost three of his last four and was just a decidedly mediocre 10-9 coming in – CBS looked bad when he was knocked out in 1:11 by Joe Villasenor.

The next two bouts were sensational. Gina Carano outslugged Kaitlin Young after two rounds and middleweights Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith went at it fiercely until Smith was inadvertently poked in the eye in the third, forcing a premature end to their middleweight title bout.

The main event showcased two mediocre fighters in mediocre condition, though after listening to Johnson, Ranallo and Shamrock, you’d have thought we were watching the MMA equivalent of Ali-Frazier.

Have no doubt about this: Slice would be destroyed by any legitimate mixed martial artist. Had Slice faced ex-WWE champion Brock Lesnar, the current UFC rookie hopeful, he’d had been beaten in less than two minutes.

As it was, Slice struggled his way to a sloppy third-round knockout of a complete tomato can.

You can’t blame Slice, because he had no business being in a main event of a mixed martial arts bout at this stage of his progression. It takes years of training and sacrifice to reach the main event in MMA and Slice was only there because of the notoriety he’d gained in his YouTube street brawls.

It was kind of ironic that at the show’s opening, Shamrock said with a straight face, “You won’t find them fighting in a bar and you won’t find them fighting in the street.”

Really?

Well, this card featured a guy (Baroni) who fights in bars and another who made his name by fighting in the streets.

CBS should have known better.

The fans deserved better.

The sport deserved better.

The CBS folks ought to take a look at the WEC card on the cable network Versus on Sunday to see how an MMA show is supposed to be put together. They’ll learn from watching that show how to introduce the viewers to the fighters but not drag the show on like a book that goes on 200 pages too long.

They’ll see quality fighters between trained and competitive MMA fighters.

Hopefully, CBS didn’t manage to turn off a large segment to the country to what is a classic and compelling sport.

There’s no question, though, that CBS didn’t do MMA any favors Saturday.

I applaud Kimbo for making life changes and being humble all while beating the heck outa that British dude with the alien ears.lol

I disagree with the above comment that the Kimbo fight should have been stopped because he was not defending. All the blows were sissy girly punchs on his head did not even bruise him or cut him.

Kimbo has dropped over 30lbs and worked on his cadio and has aknowledged that he needs to work on being an over all fighter not just a ass wooper brawler, hes the most fun to watch in the heavy weights as his hits are so powerful.

The other two middle weights whose fight was stopped because of the eye gouging was a good fight, though they were pretty tired by second round.

I applaud Kimbo for making life changes and being humble all while beating the heck outa that British dude with the alien ears.lol

I disagree with the above comment that the Kimbo fight should have been stopped because he was not defending. All the blows were sissy girly punchs on his head did not even bruise him or cut him.

Kimbo has dropped over 30lbs and worked on his cadio and has aknowledged that he needs to work on being an over all fighter not just a ass wooper brawler, hes the most fun to watch in the heavy weights as his hits are so powerful.

The other two middle weights whose fight was stopped because of the eye gouging was a good fight, though they were pretty tired by second round.

AS ALWAYS YOU ARE 100% WRONG

It was entertaining. Leave it at that.

AS ALWAYS YOU ARE 100% WRONG

Ignorant? You need to re-evaluate your train of thought because you're not looking so bright yourself. Human cockfighting is the term that has been frequently used by the media in order to downgrade the sport and that's what I was referring to.

Ignorant? You need to re-evaluate your train of thought because you're not looking so bright yourself. Human cockfighting is the term that has been frequently used by the media in order to downgrade the sport and that's what I was referring to.

My sincere apologies then, I took your using that description as to mean this is how you felt about it.

FWIW I do not think “most” media describe it this way, and have not for along time.

I do find it funny that the wife of John McCain, who started the description, is now the lead sponsor of the UFC……

Shit..... I'm just hoping to be 50% right if I comment on the fight after that :eek: :biggrin:

:biggrin:
As long as you don’t say you respect a "pro athlete" for his training methods, even though that athletes training is to "cut back on smoking"...you would be 100 % right!!:biggrin:

As long as you don’t say “the punches didn’t do any damage as they were little wussy punches” you would be 100% right.:biggrin:
No where does it say the punch has to inflict damage. And think about it…the Thompson guy is like 260 pounds….even if it they didn’t have power, im sure they didn’t feel good…:confused:
As long as you don’t say that it was a fair stoppage, cause of an eye poke…before the ALLOWED RECOVERY TIME has expired; you will be 100% correct.
As long as you don’t talk like you are a MMA god who don’t even know the rules of the leagues you wish to fight in…you will be 100% correct. :eek:

MMA on CBS... wow... now that was something. Its obvious there is big money in it now, and boxing is fading into a non-factor. It's just funny how CBS executives called it too brutal for TV are now promoting it. Anything for a buck....

01, I hear your point, but personally I don't think I care if MMA is "set back" as a sport in Joe public's eyes. I liked the old days when no one understood MMA and only the very serious studied and trained in it. I liked the fact that there was little money in it and Sherdog wasn't the place where 13 year olds hung out. I liked my BJJ class small, with a bunch of hardcore and serious guys, and the days when not every Karate school also taught BJJ on the side with a blue belt in charge. I liked the days when PRIDE was not owned by Zuffa and the fighters in Japan did not have their livelihood controlled by those that control the UFC.

So what was the drawback? less MMA on TV... sure... no shows on SPIKE... and maybe worst of all, less money for the fighters. These are all legit issues, but a lot of good is also going away. Money ruins almost everything. Look what happened the quality of the Cannes Film Festival. It used to be about quality.. now Diddy pulls up in his Yatch... it's a joke now. As MMA gains popularity, a certain genuineness and quality is also being lost. Popularity and quality don't mix well. Britney Spears is very popular but she is a lousy singer. Now we will have more promoters, more marketing people, more rules, etc. We will get more Kimbo fights to please the youtube crowd. That was some of the worst technique I had seen in a cage.

Do you remember UFC 1? Where the fighters fought under a 40-watt light bulb in a barn? yeah the venue sucked, but you went into the cage with no BS, almost no rules, no time limits, no weight limits, and came out either after you had tapped or out cold. Am I the only one that saw something very real and raw about it? OK so it wasn't for everyone. So what. Its why I like the NSX. Because its not for everyone.

That's just my .02. I know a lot of people feel differently.

I do find it funny that the wife of John McCain, who started the description, is now the lead sponsor of the UFC……

You gotta be kidding. I did not know this...

My sincere apologies then, I took your using that description as to mean this is how you felt about it.

FWIW I do not think “most” media describe it this way, and have not for along time.

I meant to put the word cockfighting in quotations to show that it is not how I felt. John McCain is the one who actually made the initial term. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

:biggrin:
As long as you don’t say you respect a "pro athlete" for his training methods, even though that athletes training is to "cut back on smoking"...you would be 100 % right!!:biggrin:

As long as you don’t say “the punches didn’t do any damage as they were little wussy punches” you would be 100% right.:biggrin:
No where does it say the punch has to inflict damage. And think about it…the Thompson guy is like 260 pounds….even if it they didn’t have power, im sure they didn’t feel good…:confused:
As long as you don’t say that it was a fair stoppage, cause of an eye poke…before the ALLOWED RECOVERY TIME has expired; you will be 100% correct.
As long as you don’t talk like you are a MMA god who don’t even know the rules of the leagues you wish to fight in…you will be 100% correct. :eek:

How many streets fights have you engaged in by choice?

Punches that do not inflict a cut, bruise, blood by a 260lb macho man is pretty impress to a WWF fan:biggrin:

Fair stoppage, the physician asked the guy if he could see from his right eye his response was "no", but your also a clinical consultant :rolleyes:

Stick to your rules and fantasy football or hire a bodygaurd or better yet carry a pistol a true fan of mixed martial arts.

How many streets fights have you engaged in by choice? what would that have to do with ANYTHING?...this was not a streetfight....
Punches that do not inflict a cut, bruise, blood by a 260lb macho man is pretty impress to a WWF fan:biggrin: while i am not saying they were impressive, they still had some point value, and your hero Kimbo was not trying to move out of thier way, for over a minute. Had this been any other fight, or fighter....I would bet my car that the fight was called.
Fair stoppage, the physician asked the guy if he could see from his right eye his response was "no", but your also a clinical consultant :rolleyes: no im not a clinical consultant...but the rules are plain as day....you get an eye poke or groin hit you get 5 minutes to recover, if you cannot recover AFTER that 5 minutes, fights called. so the only thing that makes it "FAIR" was a doctor called it, even though this may have been her first MMA event, first time on TV...and she got excited and jumped the gun. It is "fair" i guess, yet still wrong as you cannot just change or ignore the rules as you see fit.
Also i am like 75% certain that since it was a title fight for 5 rounds in eliteXC, that if the fight is called for something like that in 3 rounds or less, its a draw....i had never really paid attention to this rule in the past but will be trying to find out what all of THAT is about.
Stick to your rules and fantasy football or hire a bodygaurd or better yet carry a pistol a true fan of mixed martial arts.First off i will stick to the rules, because that is the only thing that makes this different than your cherished steet fight, or human cockfighting(gman :biggrin: ) and thats what is used to decide the match.
I dont know ANYTHING about football, and dont play fantasy football, or watch it on TV.
Why would i need a bodygaurd, or to carry a pistol? are you the "true fan of MMA", going to attack me?

You dont sound like a "true fan" you sound like someone who started taking "kung fu" lessons as a kid, and now you want to fight in the UFC cause you think it will be a better life for you.
You sound like the "true fan" who reads all the books, repeating things you have read, trying to make them sound like your thoughts and principals.

you really do confuse me....

Last edited:
Back