• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

engine lid mod

hi gang, I know I have seen some various pics over the years but after doing a few different searches on here I cant find anything! I am wanting some DIY info or at least some pics to go off of to do some cutouts on my engine bay lid and maybe install some mesh on the underside.
thanks in advance for any help,
Clint

this is what i did. i took the bolts (4 total) out of the two bases (holds the engine lid) from the driver and passenger side. after that, i took off the lid, and stored it in the garage. engine exposed :biggrin:

It's not that difficult a job.I just did mine and it turned out great. I removed the sound baffle material , then used a Dremel tool with a metal cutting wheel to open it up . I then went over the edges with various grades of sandpaper to smooth/even it out. I then used a long strip of black door edge molding to cover the edge. I used to just have the lid off, but this gives it a more refined look--almost factory in appearance. Send me your email address and I'll fwd some pics. Unfortunately, I can't get my pics onto this site.

Contact(pm), bonestockracing (one word), on here... He's the lid mod god:wink: He can do glass, mesh, paint and occasionally balance a ball on his nose for ya'

:biggrin:

Guys it looks great but what are the drawbacks? UV bad on the engine? extra noise? how is the noise issue?

Last question, why is the stock one so heavy?!

TURBO2GO said:
Guys it looks great but what are the drawbacks? UV bad on the engine? extra noise? how is the noise issue?

Last question, why is the stock one so heavy?!

I don't think that UV is going to damage much. There are a few other cars out there today that come with a see through engine lid OEM anyway. There is some extra mechanical noise without the cover in place, and the rear glass rattles which is most noticeable in the rearview mirror. The only major drawback that I noticed is that when driving in the rain the glass fogs up and water from under the car sprays up and onto the glass. If it matters any, I've had mine out of my car for six years.

As for the weight, well since yours is designed to hold the removable top it probably has to be reinforced more than the one's for the coupe. That's my guess at least.

I have a stock one with a big hole in it, I got half way through the DIY and lost interest, buying a carbon fiber cover instead - I was trying to sell my 'pre-cut cover' with limited sucess:

P1020175.jpg

P1020180.jpg

P1020183.jpg

P1020192.jpg

P1020194.jpg

Let me know if you're interested, I am mainly looking to get rid of it.

I've been intending to work out some cut project like shown above. I haven't gotten to that yet so I've simply removed the cover all together. Clearly not the crafty-most method. As far as the rear glass vibration, you can put a small piece of rubber foam where the latch is. That's all I did and It's a nice snug fit. Don't get me wrong a nice cut out cover is the way to go. Paint that damn white coolant bottle black as many do. I have not gotten to that yet either; its time will come.

I've been a bit worried about the UV as well. I've only had it out for a couple months. As far as the rain issue, I was wondering about that but since I rarely drive in the rain, I hadn't noticed it.

Good Luck, I'm thinking a UV protected glass and a painted water bottle for the future.

Doc308 said:
It's not that difficult a job.I just did mine and it turned out great. I removed the sound baffle material , then used a Dremel tool with a metal cutting wheel to open it up . I then went over the edges with various grades of sandpaper to smooth/even it out. I then used a long strip of black door edge molding to cover the edge. I used to just have the lid off, but this gives it a more refined look--almost factory in appearance. Send me your email address and I'll fwd some pics. Unfortunately, I can't get my pics onto this site.

I did what you did, but used chrome door edge molding. Turned out pretty good:

attachment.php

Back