• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine never gets warm?

I recently purchased an 91 NSX. I have been driving it for a week, and I have noticed that the engine temp rarely moves into the normal range, typically it is below the blue line. The only time I can get it to get to a normal temp is when I am driving aggressively for a while.

Could this be a thermostat problem, or is this normal?

Definitely not normal. Firstly, you should not drive aggressively while not warmed up. Stop it!
smile.gif
Here's a little test that might help........ When you say you are driving aggressively; what rpm's are you talking about? If the car truly was not warmed up it should hit a rev limiter somewhere around 6800 rather than the normal 8k.. So, if you are revving higher than this, I would say that you have a problem with the gauge only. A thermostat problem (ie. if it were stuck open) would likely be more consistent rather than spuratic like you say, based on air temp. of course. Meaning that it should take a long time, but the same time each time, for the car to warm up.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

By aggressively I mean hitting the rev limiter. As an example tonight I drove the car to work (about 30 miles away) and the entire way it was below the normal range. So when I got to work, I was under the assumption, since I had been driving the car for about 45 minutes, that it should be warmed up. When I went to try to approach the redline, the rev limiter kicked in...very disappointing!

Steve

Originally posted by stevesp:
Yep, it kicked in at 7100 rpm. Thanks for the advice, I will be making an appointment at my local dealer asap.

Steve

Exactly where it should kick in when the car is not operating at normal temperature. Thermostat failed open or the temp sensor on the thermostat housing? BTW, you haven't mentioned gas mileage or driveability - any changes?

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Back