• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ERROR CODES on App, but not dash

You and one other NSX tech seem to know your stuff. It’s too bad someone like you wasn’t available to fix my car. I’m glad people are able to get more power out the car, but I don’t have spare money laying around to replace a $75k engine if it blows up. Furthermore, the quest for more power is a terrible addiction. Been there, done that. Now I’m a recovered addict. OEM is fine for me. Right Jinks?

Like Nancy Reagan always says,"Just say NO!" Seems like everyday I hear someone say this car is riddled with gremlins. You'd have to either have disposable income or just be flat out dumb to modify this cars ecu...

Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. The AcuraLink app sent three notices to me. The dash never showed any errors. Dealer couldn’t find any ‘hard error’ messages buried inside the car’s brain. The car was communicating correctly with the app (for example, the Miles to Empty message on the app, corresponded precisely with that data on my dash).

Finally had had to delete the app, reinstall, and reload the vehicle data. No new app error messages.

Weird, eh?
Did you have the car in "ON" without the engine running? that produced the exact same codes on my car.
No delete message option, I know, poor app.

Did you have the car in "ON" without the engine running? that produced the exact same codes on my car.
No delete message option, I know, poor app.

i can’t recall with certainty. But now that you’ve asked, I’ll pay special attention to the “on, but not running” status when it happens again. And I’m sure it will.

Any update to this issue?

Nope. It’s as if the NSX has healed itself. I have run it hard and sideways since the catastrophic failure. And now, I can’t make it malfunction. Really, really odd.

Nope. It’s as if the NSX has healed itself. I have run it hard and sideways since the catastrophic failure. And now, I can’t make it malfunction. Really, really odd.

Well let’s keep our fingers crossed that you don’t any further issues. Just make sure to document as you’ve done in the past. My car would through warnings and shut down sometimes for no reason. No codes would get stored and after I would restart it it would drive fine again.

I’m glad that I won’t have to worry about it anymore. I just had my final Lemon Law hearing and all I have to do is wait for instructions to turn the car in for my buyback.

UPDATE: Happened again. Dealer confirmed.

Happened again today on my way to work. This time, I was in Quiet mode, just driving out of my neighborhood. [Last time, it happened during very hard driving in Sport+ Mode.]

Alarms went off, and my dashboard lit up with:
* ALL WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM PROBLEM, and
* HILL START ASSIST PROBLEM, and
* BRAKE SYSTEM PROBLEM, and
* POWER STEERING SYSTEM (EPS) PROBLEM, and
* VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST (VSA) PROBLEM, and
* ALL WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM PROBLEM, and
* EMISSIONS SYSTEM PROBLEM {with a picture of an engine below the text}, and finally,
* DYNAMIC MODE CHANGE UNAVAILABLE when I tried to toggle from Quiet to Sport.

The dash would cycle through all of these error messages, every 5 seconds. The good news is that my dash was still cycling through these errors, when I pulled in to my dealer’s shop. They hooked it up to the diagnostics, and sent all the data to an engineer at Acura (don’t know if it was Ohio or California). So I’m in another Loaner car, waiting on Acura to diagnose. I’ll keep you guys appraised.

It certainly is not unheard-of to have supercar glitches. McLaren, for example. ANY McLaren, for example.
In fact, Matt Farah doubted that he was in a real McLaren 720, until he got an error code while testing the car. Hilarious. See https://youtu.be/kPF4pYs4aPw at 12:44.

I forgot to mention these things:

First, the braking regeneration ceased. I could see that the drive battery was charging, but only due to engine power. When I braked — hard or soft — there was no indication of re-gen on the dash.

Second, in stop-and-go traffic on the way to the dealer, the car would lurch forward in a fast wave-like motion. I could hear the engine going WUH-WUH-WUH during even modest acceleration.

Lastly, the car would not go into its “stop-sign engine shut-down”. It would just idle at stop lights, even though I was in Quiet and/or Sport Modes. (All this actually happened twice today. I shut it off, and all the errors cleared. Then drove very modestly, and it all went to sh!t yet again. At that point, I headed to the dealer.)

Thoughts? (Other than DocL telling me how crappy an NSX is.)

I hope the mothership identifies the culprit and the fix for your car -- and that goes for the sour ones that they had to take back.

I forgot to mention these things:

First, the braking regeneration ceased. I could see that the drive battery was charging, but only due to engine power. When I braked — hard or soft — there was no indication of re-gen on the dash.

Second, in stop-and-go traffic on the way to the dealer, the car would lurch forward in a fast wave-like motion. I could hear the engine going WUH-WUH-WUH during even modest acceleration.

Lastly, the car would not go into its “stop-sign engine shut-down”. It would just idle at stop lights, even though I was in Quiet and/or Sport Modes. (All this actually happened twice today. I shut it off, and all the errors cleared. Then drove very modestly, and it all went to sh!t yet again. At that point, I headed to the dealer.)

Thoughts? (Other than DocL telling me how crappy an NSX is.)

I’m not to going to tell you how crappy the car is, you’ve already figured that out on your own. There won’t be any codes stored. At least you were able to get it to the dealer with all of the warnings present. Let them try to figure it out and start keeping a log of how many days your car spends in the shop. I’ll gladly give you my Lemonade recipe.

This probably won't help at all, but I'll share just in case it does. I had a similar "Christmas tree" event happen a couple of times on my ZDX when it was pretty new. The dealership was stumped and had to involve engineers from corporate who figured out I had a bad wiring harness. They had to do some decent surgery on the car to get to and replace said harness, but the root cause of the Christmas tree was bad/intermittent signals from one system that cascaded to the computer thinking the world was coming to an end. Nothing was actually wrong with any of the systems, just bad signals made the computer think there was. Since replacing that harness, I haven't had another problem with the car in eight years.

I just experienced a similar problem when I went to start my 2017. I purchased the car used with 4500 mile on it and have driven it for four months with no problems - I love the car. When I attempted to start the car I received a “brake system failure” notification and the ignition wouldn’t engage. Fortunately the car was in my garage and I wasn’t stranded on the road. Does anyone know if this problem can only be serviced at the dealer? Is there any way for me to “reboot” the system?

Error Codes

Please keep me posted on your experiences with your error code issues. I experienced my first “brake system” error today when I attempted to start my 2017. Fortunately for me my car was in my garage but it won’t start. Since it’s Sunday I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to contact the dealer. This doesn’t do much for my confidence level - nothing worse than being stranded on the road.

Please keep me posted on your experiences with your error code issues. I experienced my first “brake system” error today when I attempted to start my 2017. Fortunately for me my car was in my garage but it won’t start. Since it’s Sunday I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to contact the dealer. This doesn’t do much for my confidence level - nothing worse than being stranded on the road.

Did your car have the third brake light recall done? If not, then your car is a brick and needs to go to the dealer for the recall.

Third Brake Light Recall

Did your car have the third brake light recall done? If not, then your car is a brick and needs to go to the dealer for the recall.
As of a couple months ago all recalls were up to date so unless it’s a recent recall I assume it was done but I’ll verify it. I appreciate your input

As of a couple months ago all recalls were up to date so unless it’s a recent recall I assume it was done but I’ll verify it. I appreciate your input

This car is so complicated that it can be anything if the recall was already performed. I had so many events where my car would throw warnings for no reason and the codes didn’t get stored in the ecu. A few times my brake pedal would go to the floor and the car would be difficult to stop. I would have to pull over and turn it off and on again and it drove like nothing happened. There was also a burning smell in the car when it happened and when I took it to the dealer they found nothing wrong.

I wish I could offer you some better advice.

Error Codes

This car is so complicated that it can be anything if the recall was already performed. I had so many events where my car would throw warnings for no reason and the codes didn’t get stored in the ecu. A few times my brake pedal would go to the floor and the car would be difficult to stop. I would have to pull over and turn it off and on again and it drove like nothing happened. There was also a burning smell in the car when it happened and when I took it to the dealer they found nothing wrong.

I wish I could offer you some better advice.

Well hopefully I’ll know more after I get the car towed to the dealer tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again for your insight.

Well hopefully I’ll know more after I get the car towed to the dealer tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again for your insight.

Good luck. Make sure to call the NSX concierge number today and document the problem.

Happened again. The App is proving worthless.

Nothing wrong with the car. But just received these five error messages on my app.

Is is this happening to anyone else? — receiving errors on your app only?

Attachments

• 9885B34C-DA48-4BF1-A9B2-EDD9E44A96E2.jpg
    9885B34C-DA48-4BF1-A9B2-EDD9E44A96E2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 9C72BF30-A2DF-44F9-9662-FD73989433EC.jpg
    9C72BF30-A2DF-44F9-9662-FD73989433EC.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 135
  • C1BF5D00-EDB9-4035-A222-60AD078785AC.jpg
    C1BF5D00-EDB9-4035-A222-60AD078785AC.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 147
  • F3FA4AC5-5762-4859-A0B0-2C85ADDD945D.jpg
    F3FA4AC5-5762-4859-A0B0-2C85ADDD945D.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 137

.....and?????? How did it go?

LandLawman. I’m not familiar with that app you have. However what if you uninstall it? Will the warnings show up in the car.

It’s the same app for any Acura. It’s called “AcuraLink”.

In point of fact, I have to uninstall the damned app, in order to clear the codes. Then I have to re-scan my VIN in order to reinstall the app.

Thankfully, no: Uninstalling the app does not trigger an error on the car’s dash. It clears the errors within the app. It’s the only way to clear the errors within the app. Grrrrrrrrrr.

The good news is that there’s no problem with the car. Not yet, anyway.

Can you start the car with the app or send Google map directions to the car?

System Dash Messages

I just had my battery tested and replaced on my 2017. The dealer claims any drop in voltage can cause error messages. So far so good but time will tell. They suggested using a “Battery Tender” for days not driven. They also informed me to keep the Key Fob at least 25 feet from the car when not in use or the car never goes into “sleep mode” which can also drain the battery.

Can you start the car with the app or send Google map directions to the car?

No — no remote start with the NSX.
Yes — the app lets you send directions to the car. And that’s actually very helpful. I use it frequently. What’s more, you can retrieve the most recent 5 or so downloads, even if they’re a month or two old. {Not all such systems store map downloads. Some are “use-it-or-lose-it”.}

On the car’s dash, under the “Home” menu, there’s an Icon for AcuraLink. Interface has been pretty-much seamless. No issues. Well....no issues other than that the app keeps telling me that the sky is falling. Other than that? No issues.

Back