• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

extremely sore abs

I work out my abs 2-3 times per week. Last Saturday I did abs, and had a little extra time to kill, so I spent about three times the amount of time and exercises doing ab work.

It's Tuesday and my abs are sore as hell and killing me. Seasonal allergies are kicking in, and I am hurting with every sneeze. Just touching my mid-section feels tender and it hurts.

I've been taking Glutamine pills to try to make the soreness go away. I can't even go to the gym tonight and do some cardio because my abs hurt so much.

Sore abs suck!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sometimes abs are hard to reach, so ... mission accomplished.

What exercises were you doing?

I was gonna say your abs needed to be exercised more...brakes that is:wink: then I read your post.You obviously overtrained your abs that day..symptoms will slowly resolve,but what is your goal?

My goal is to look like AAAAHHHNOOOLDDD!!!! :tongue: j/k Seriously just stay in shape and have lean body mass, and great abs.

I was doing leg raises, side abs movements with weights, and finally crunches. I usually just do one exercise per workout, but I did 3 exercises, 3 sets each, 10-15 reps per set, for about half an hour, and I really over-trained I guess.

Today is day 4 after the workout, feeling a little better. Taking Glutamine still to make it feel better. I have never been so sore 3 - 4 days after a workout. Ugh.. Need to feel better for back / biceps workout tonight. And cardio.

when I used to lift in earnest best abs results i got was doing incline bench situps with weight...I'm not a big guy but was able to work up to a 45lb plate.

Oh wow that's horrible. Aging sucks!!

Do a fraction of the same movements again daily and it will be gone in no time...

The worst thing to do is to do nothing.
LOL that's true. I did work out chest / triceps on Monday, 2 days after killing my abs. Just laying down on the bench to do bench press hurt like hell. I tried a very light ab movement but it about killed me...

But I feel a lot better today and will do back / bi's... need to take more glutamine...

when I used to lift in earnest best abs results i got was doing incline bench situps with weight...I'm not a big guy but was able to work up to a 45lb plate.

Impressive!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Do a fraction of the same movements again daily and it will be gone in no time...

The worst thing to do is to do nothing.

I definitely agree. How is your stretching routine and duration? You might also want to intake potassium prior to your work out and after. Bananas etc! Over working a muscle group will not gain progress but more torn muscle tissue and DOMS causing pain. A fast recuperating muscle such as the abdominal muscle group is one of the tougher area as you are using other muscle groups instead of a targeting one, this also in difficulty includes LEGS. Running also helps improve your lower abdomen area (Pros and cons). Remember key is to build and work that mid section affectively by hitting targeted area with resistance, takes practice and commitment. Heavy weight will not always net that wash board look and feel. Time, patience and repetition in your committed workout does. Light weights can do more in sculpting with higher reps in your given sets and can reduce your after affects from muscle aches and pain. If you are just starting this program then NO pain NO gain. There is usually more to it but I am not typing a novel including Diet etc.

Keep at it.

I definitely agree. How is your stretching routine and duration? You might also want to intake potassium prior to your work out and after. Bananas etc! Over working a muscle group will not gain progress but more torn muscle tissue and DOMS causing pain. A fast recuperating muscle such as the abdominal muscle group is one of the tougher area as you are using other muscle groups instead of a targeting one, this also in difficulty includes LEGS. Running also helps improve your lower abdomen area (Pros and cons). Remember key is to build and work that mid section affectively by hitting targeted area with resistance, takes practice and commitment. Heavy weight will not always net that wash board look and feel. Time, patience and repetition in your committed workout does. Light weights can do more in sculpting with higher reps in your given sets and can reduce your after affects from muscle aches and pain. If you are just starting this program then NO pain NO gain. There is usually more to it but I am not typing a novel including Diet etc.

Keep at it.

Thanks. I took a pre-workout drink, jack-3d before, and then BCAA's + glutamine + protein after. I also do a lot of cardio but it hurt to do cardio with a mid-section that is in pain LOL. I've been lifting for a year now and this has been a tremendous shock in how sore I got. Must be getting old... :frown:

Thanks. I took a pre-workout drink, jack-3d before, and then BCAA's + glutamine + protein after. I also do a lot of cardio but it hurt to do cardio with a mid-section that is in pain LOL. I've been lifting for a year now and this has been a tremendous shock in how sore I got. Must be getting old... :frown:

I tried that jack-3d stuff once. I thought my heart was going to explode.

Wow, usually you plateau by then. Back when I was going to the gym every day (you'd never know that I'd ever set foot into a gym looking at me now), there were parts that I just couldn't hit hard enough, no matter how much I mixed up the routine.
Then I'd push a mower at home and get sore in ways to which I though I was immune.:redface:
So, congrats on still being able to get sore.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to take this thread to heart.

I think my next ab workout is scheduled for June.

I noticed my ABS making a funny noise as I'm backing up!!....................................Oh, wrong ABS...............Kidding.

LOL you guys.

My abs miraculous healed today. Was able to do a light ab workout today after back / bi-ceps... Fingers crossed won't be too sore tomorrow.

My old college roomate (Kinesiologist SPORTS MEDS) and I were working out. We would always do a post work out routine on the previous days muscle group to reduce pains. This combined with the proper pre work out food intake to prevent DOMS aches and pains usually does the trick.

Back