• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factor X Vortech Supercharger for less than $5000! And Anytime Racing's new exhaust!

I was down at Factor X Motorsports in Fullerton, CA tonight to pick up my car. They're in the process of doing a clutch replacement for me as well as installing a NOS dry kit for me. (MORE POWER!!! =P)

While I was there I had the opportunity to talk to them about one of their projects and that is their Vortech supercharger kit that is nearing completion. The kit looks very clean and the projected numbers are outright astounding!!! That thing is going to put out some lunatic power. And it's going to debut at a price just shy of $5000. They're looking at an option of a speedster engine bay cover which sounds very cool. I am definitely putting it on my wish list when it comes out. There are a lot of new kits out for the NSX and I think this one will definitely be a contender. For the time being I think I'll have to be content with a 100 shot. ;P

I also have the privilege of having John (Anytime) prototype exhaust on my car at the moment. The guys at Factor X were using my car to do some baseline testing as my car is bone stock. I just got to drive my car home with the exhaust on. Initial impressions? The car at idle is relatively quiet with a nice low hum. Open up the throttle though and it quickly builds up to a raucous roar at WOT. A tad bit loud for my taste but for some of you, I'm sure that'll be just right. Interestingly enough, once you've hit speed and level off, the tone of the exhaust becomes much more placid. They have yet to finish tuning. I just thought you guys might like to hear about it. Good job John!!! =)

[This message has been edited by Darkcyd (edited 06 August 2002).]

Damn - now Factor X and ACR Motorsports are throwing their towels into the forced induction pit!

Things are starting to get interesting around here!

If Acura won't build another NSX - it looks like "the people" will!

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

I think Larry has done a custom Vortech install already. And IIRC, PDs car has a Vortech blower.

Pros: relatively quiet (new helical gear in the SQ "super quiet" series); good peak power.

Cons: it's a centrifugal, so the power comes on strongly only in the upper half of the rev range.

I've got a Vortech SC on my commuter car and it's a pretty nice blower and easily pushes enough air to make 10-psi if you provide enough charge cooling. Given the likely availability of several reputable turbo solutions, I wonder if this may be hitting a saturated market. At our last NW-NSX club meet, Brian (BBSC) and I (CTSC high boost) were marveling at Tunapie's fantastic TT setup. If we had it to do again, we both concurred that we would have gone turbo - but alas those options really didn't exist when we took the plunge. In contrast, we have an embarassment of riches for forced induction options today...

Ahhhh.....

Things become so much clearer now.

With all these new options coming out. I think I understand some of the posts that were made over the past few months.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Hey Number9,

Please expound on why you would go TT if you had it all to do all over again.

Better / more linear power, better packaging, longer life, lower costs, lower maintenance, etc...

------------------
Nick M

Ignoring smog legality, a properly executed turbo should have a better torque curve with more boost available at lower RPMs and better power than SCs at any given boost level. The downside is that the turbos are harder to tune, and most of us didn't want to be alpha/beta testers. But since Gerry has now apparently completed his testing and is almost local, the knowledgeable-local-tuner prerequisite has been resolved for us NW-NSXCA folks. Socal folks have Larry.

BTW, Tunapie did a homebrew setup starting from a Bell kit, but he made major improvements and the installation was amazingly clean, especially the intercooler plumbing, so from the top you couldn't easily tell it was boosted at all.

Larry over at NSX Modified has indeed done a custom Vortech SC job. I've seen it myself. =) I believe the Factor X setup is designed to be a very easy bolt-on system that requires very little work to install. Don't quote me on this but I think the install/uninstall will only takes about 2-3 hours of shop time. Making it very convenient to remove for smog checks and to take to tracks that disallow certain setups or amounts of power.

Anyone have an early pic of the Factor X Vortech Supercharger and what is a "speedster" engine cover?

------------------
Nick M

I didn't have my digicam with me. Sorry. =/

A speedster cover would be something similar to the modifications available for the S2000 or Z3 where you have two humps rear of the seats. An example of the S2000 cover is the one made by Tonneau. These would accomodate the turbine for the supercharger and give it a sleek look.

It was discussed on S2KI.com here
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49762&highlight=DooV

I have yet to find a good pic of the setup but when I do, I'll post it.

Can you describe the engine bay? Did it look more like the CompTech Wipple setup or more like the Basch Boost Paxston setup or more like something else?

Also if you are interested what others pay for engineered (non NSX) super kits go to http://www.superchargersonline.com/superchargers.asp

A small sampling of kit pricing:

Allen Engine Development = $3,850.00
Jackson Supercharger Kit = $2,995.00
Kenne Bell screw-type = $2,850.00
Magna Charger Supercharger System = $3,630.00
Paxton Supercharger = $3,049.00
Powerdyne Supercharger Kit = $3,949.00
ProCharger P-1SC HO Supercharger Kit = $3,349.00
Vortech Supercharger Kit = $3,299.00
Whipple Supercharger Kit = $3,999.00

Many of these kits are comperable to existing solutions on the NSX market and these are retail prices. This is interesting in that (depending on how you look at it) the current CompTech setup is competitive with much higher volume options. Now that the price of the 6psi kit has dropped to $7,500 it is getting more competitive.

These numbers help me to understand a little of the economics as well. If a Jackson Super kit for the NSX sells for $5k and the CompTech is $7,500 then they are within the limits of the "NSX low volume tax" and I can (at a high level) try to compare apples to apples (from a $$$ to HP to quality standpoint).

------------------
Nick M

[This message has been edited by matteni (edited 06 August 2002).]

Hi Nick, Comptech's price on the Supercharger is actually $8900. $7500 was the "discount" price I quoted to you.

Originally posted by matteni:
Can you describe the engine bay? Did it look more like the CompTech Wipple setup or more like the Basch Boost Paxston setup or more like something else?

Also if you are interested what others pay for engineered (non NSX) super kits go to http://www.superchargersonline.com/superchargers.asp

A small sampling of kit pricing:

Allen Engine Development = $3,850.00
Jackson Supercharger Kit = $2,995.00
Kenne Bell screw-type = $2,850.00
Magna Charger Supercharger System = $3,630.00
Paxton Supercharger = $3,049.00
Powerdyne Supercharger Kit = $3,949.00
ProCharger P-1SC HO Supercharger Kit = $3,349.00
Vortech Supercharger Kit = $3,299.00
Whipple Supercharger Kit = $3,999.00

Many of these kits are comperable to existing solutions on the NSX market and these are retail prices. This is interesting in that (depending on how you look at it) the current CompTech setup is competitive with much higher volume options. Now that the price of the 6psi kit has dropped to $7,500 it is getting more competitive.

These numbers help me to understand a little of the economics as well. If a Jackson Super kit for the NSX sells for $5k and the CompTech is $7,500 then they are within the limits of the "NSX low volume tax" and I can (at a high level) try to compare apples to apples (from a $$$ to HP to quality standpoint).

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
Hi Nick, Comptech's price on the Supercharger is actually $8900. $7500 was the "discount" price I quoted to you.

I appologize if that was not public knowledge / an ACR private special. From your email you stated this was your pricing so I didn't think it was information you were protecting.

As you can tell - I was posting for comparison and apologize if this was not information you wanted to publicize / my bad!

I digress from the topic a little but something worth noting is starting to unravel ............

Comptech reduces their price on the SC; focusing on the coupe or pre 97 they note now it is to $8900

A new vendor from Florida, SpeedDistributors posts he can ship it for $8000

And now we get a post from ACR Motorsports that the price is $7500 I assume shipping and tax is excluded.

At about 10 hours install for $75/hour we are now talking a new Comptech SC for less than $8500.

While I have a 98-T, anyone else wants to bud in this price war .......... I like this
biggrin.gif

Does anybody know what the install times are for the other applications? How long does it take to put in a GruppeM or a Basch or Larry's single turbo?

What is the Tunnapies TT set up? I have never heard of this before now. Also, I need pictures of all these things. Do any of these guys have websites with pics and prices?

Back