• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Firmware updates?

Being amongst the oldest here I confess to not knowing much about firmware updates.
Am hoping some readers are conversant with this.

I've read Tesla owners receive firmware updates on the controls in their cars as Tesla makes improvements.

The NSX engine/electric driveline/transmission must have been tested under a myriad of configurations and the engineers settled on a certain combination of turbo boost/electric drive/transmission shifting etc.

Continued development of the NSX may result in different/refined software/firmware in the future.
Is is possible with a modern car like the NSX that Honda could update an NSX's software/firmware at the dealerships over time?
For example if a higher boost configuration was developed could all NSX's be updated with new mapping?

My Q50 has had multiple code updates at the dealership

Forvthe new NSX should be expectable though I doubt they will be using such an approach for the ICE output gains

I would be surprised if they didn't. The digital nature of this car allows for so many possibilities. However, I believe this is an additional profit center for Acura. Updates/Patches/Fixes will be free. However, upgrades may not be free.For example, Mclaren already pushes a lot of firmware revisions to their cars. I believe it was software Version 13 on the 12C that included fixes but also included (at an extra costs) a Track Pack App. I forget the exact costs but it was in the thousands. Pretty cool feature though which includes telemetry, video, and lap time recordings.

Last edited:
Since Tesla knew from the beginning that (i) their software was not going to be fully baked at launch and (ii) they wouldn't have a physical dealer network periodically touching cars, they made an extra effort to design a very robust system for patching software "over the air" (cellular download / install). Although cool, this would be viewed as a VERY dicey/risky approach by any traditional car maker. Lots of liability an regulatory issues-- especially if you're touching systems impacting drivetrain and safety systems (and not just infotainment stuff).

But Tesla didn't have a choice. They *HAD* to make it work. Perhaps others will follow their bold (reckless?) approach, but I kind of doubt it.

They other issue for cars with ICE systems is that they really can't monkey with engine/exhaust systems too much without getting the whole system certified for emissions. Not a concern for Tesla, but would be an issue on the NSX.

My guess is that, for the NSX, the conservative approach will be "we'll just update things at the next oil change."

Firmware updates have been around for a while. It really just depends on how it is accomplished. It can be done over the air if the car has cellular or wi-fi capability. More common is through a data port such as the OBD port or something proprietary to a specific manufacturer. Another possibility is through a USB port, as more and more cars come with those.

Of course, having the ability for over-the-air updates may not necessarily be a good thing, as Lexus owners found out recently.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...-but-temporary-tricks-may-help-until-then.htm

Last edited:
The other issue for cars with ICE systems is that they really can't monkey with engine/exhaust systems too much without getting the whole system certified for emissions. Not a concern for Tesla, but would be an issue on the NSX.

That's a point I hadn't thought of.
Any changes made by an OEM would have to comply with many regulations.
I imagine creating the NSX engine mapping would be an enormously complicated task having to meet emission, reliability, and performance requirements.

Tesla updates have been quite good. They are facilitated by the always-on data connection built into the cars, which is itself critical to the data-collection effort. I think it's a great point made by [MENTION=32457]chrisn[/MENTION], that you wouldn't be able to change much in the ICE-related systems because of emissions. Many of the Tesla updates relate to the user interface and automated systems, neither of which are really relevant to the NSX. I suspect updates will be similar to the Alfa 4C, where dealerships periodically receive updates for, e.g., transmission operation (probably a result of the release-half-baked approach).

Back