• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First generation NSX

Sensors - as in engine sensors, accelerometers, steering position, torque for EPS, ABS/TCS, light and temperature for the climate control, speedo sensor ...?

The only sensor it has and is required is the soul sensor.:biggrin:

Your light! If the 1995 happens to be an OBDII engine you are super light (4- O2 sensors and 6 spark plug voltage detection sensors not counting the voltage detection module. Its over 30 if you include the dash fuel level sensor, speedometer sensor, oil pressure sensor, water temperature sensor ......

prime is awesome:biggrin:

Just for the hell of it, I decided to count

ABS wheel sensors - 4
TCS (steering wheel and lateral accelerometer) - 2
Air bag -3
Climate control (In and outside air and sunlight sensor) - 3
Engine - 18
- CKP/CYP (4 separate sensors in one blob - lets count 1)
- IAT sensor
- MAP sensor
- EGR lift sensor
- TPS
- Engine coolant
- Knock sensor (2)
- O2 sensor (4 on OBDII cars)
- spark plug voltage sensor (6 on OBDII cars)
Cooling fan temp sensor - 1
Gas pedal position sensor on DBW cars - 1 (maybe 2 because I think there is some redundancy?)
Fuel tank pressure (EVAP system) - 1
speed sensors - 2
oil pressure sensor - 1
dash coolant gauge sensor - 1
fuel gauge sensor - 1
key sensor (immobilizer equipped cars) - 1
EPS (torque sensor, current sensor) - 2

That got me to 41.

If you have an automatic transmission I think you get to add in a few more. There are level switches in the brake reservoir and the infamous clutch interlock switch and all the switches associated with the security system. They are all technically sensors; but, I got tired of counting.

Last edited:
and the "phone":tongue:

Open/closed sensors for doors, hatch, trunk - 4, add 1 for NSX-T top sensor.

Sensor to let you know if you left the lights on and the car is off. - 1

Sensor to let you know if the key is in the ignition. - 1

Okay who’s next to add to the list? :)

Seatbelt sensors

Old guy, just a follow-up three nsx drove Down to Palm springs for the expo when we got there one of the cars wouldn't start again now with your expert help I'm just wondering if I bought all of those sensors what would they cost me just for Insurance in case my car brokedown...

Last edited:
Old guy, just a follow-up three nsx drove Down to Palm springs for the expo when we got there one of the cars wouldn't start again now with your expert help I'm just wondering if I bought all of those sensors what would they cost me just for Insurance in case your car brokedown...

Seriously???

First off, failure of most of those sensors will not disable the car so you would be wasting money if your objective is 'being able to drive insurance'. Even some of the mission critical engine sensors have a limp mode with the exception of the CKP/CYP sensor. You are dead in the water if it goes. However, if on some off chance you did need to replace a CKP/CYP sensor, you are not going to be doing that out in a parking lot (might as well plan to do the timing belt at the same time!). Anecdotal evidence on Prime suggests that even though the CKP/CYP sensor tends to ooze black goo and look like its on death's doorstep, they continue to work just fine and are not a significant source of failure (although people pinching and breaking the wires during timing belt changes can be a bit of a problem).

If you feel the need for parts insurance, the anecdotal evidence suggests that top drawer spare parts would be the FI main relay, the clutch interlock actuation button (and travel with a dwarf who can fit under the dash to re insert the button), and worn ignition switches. As the NSX ages, I expect that the next common dead in the water failure items may be the fuel pump and the starter solenoid/motor. You can carry those if you want to; but, the fuel pump has about the same level of field serviceability as the CKP/CYP sensor. You might be able to do a starter motor replacement in the parking lot (I haven't really checked); but, the better ticket would be to get your travel companion dwarf to push the car so you can bump start it.

My advice, save your parts money to invest in regular fluid changes and other scheduled maintenance stuff. So far, sensors are generally way down on the list of things that cause a dead NSX. My travel insurance (which I have never used) consists of the service manual in the trunk, a length of about 4 m of 16 ga wire, a roll of electrical tape, needle nose pliers and one of those multi bit screwdrivers. Being an Old Guy, I should probably have some baler/binder twine; but, these days the smallest rolls are like 7,000 ft which is a bit large for the trunk on the NSX. Maybe I should go modern and get some duct tape.

Finally, Larry B., Kaz et al would be the 'expert help'. I kind of fall into the 'guy' category, someone who answers the question because they were asked, not because they know the answer :smile:.

Last edited:
I keep Larry B in the back seat................

I keep Larry B in the back seat................

Does he complain about the accommodation? Is he amenable to doing the pushing when the starter quits or does he make you do that? These are all important factors to take into consideration when doing your contingency planning.

he sleeps in the map pocket.....anytime I complain about something he pulls the clock fuse.....

Back