• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First month of ownership...hidden costs!

Not bad guys all I have to say is I paid $36,500 for my 91 nsx....drove it 4 miles and dropped about $22,000 or so in mods.......its becoming an addiction buying stuff for the car :tongue: .....I think another $5,000 in misc parts and $20k in engine mods and I'll be pretty much done with the car..........hopefully :biggrin:

"$20k in engine mods and I'll be pretty much done with the car..........hopefully"

If you spent $20k on engine mod's, its just the beginning! :biggrin:

First off, you should download the repair manual (pdf) from FAQs section. Next is to observe if there is anything not right with the car (engine not running smoothly, smoke, oil drips, etc). Most of the time CEL (Check Engine Light) will come on if there is something wrong. It would be good to always bring your car to the dealership for routine servicing and maintenance.

And always stay tune to this forum and do not hesistate to ask if you have any question. Before you are scolded by Forum Nazi do the search. :biggrin:

Enjoy the NSX ownership as I have been for the past 4 years.
NSXFreak00 said:
First off, how does someone without car experience like me know when it is time to replace some of these parts mentioned above?!

Octan, unless you are on your 3rd DWI and under 21, you pay wayyy too much for insurance. you should shop around!!

I'm almost at the one year mark, so far:

Volk GT7 Rims: $~3000 with tires
Eibach springs: ~$300
Comptech Exhaust $750 used
Floormats $100
RPS Clutch + install $2700
Slave cylinder $160 installed
2 AC condensors $400
Alarm $500
JDM Shift boot and Trust shift knob $150

Total: $$8060 :eek:
(hope the old lady doesn't see this)

Still need:

New Coolant tank
HID's
Climate control rebuilt
New Audio system

Since others also include upgrades in the list I will put mine also:

Upgrades

1. 02 Lamps Front and Rear.
2. 02 NSX-R replica hood.
3. Sorcery widebody kit (removed early January 2005)
4. 18/19 white Volk TE37 wheels (removed early January 2005)
5. Tein RA coilovers (removed early January 2005)
6. 99 Blade Silver OEM Acura wheels (thanks to WiqaasNSX-T)
7. 02 Rear valence.
8. OEM shocks (pending).

Jin1976 said:
Hidden expenditre for me after 4 years of ownership
1. Valve cover gasket.
2. Top head gasket.
3. Coil packs.
4. Oxygen sensors.
5. Extra bulb sockets for rear lights.
6. Coolent tank.
7. Evaporator.
8. Rear wheel bearings.
9. Drive shaft boots.
10. Aftermarket radio.
11. OEM sun cover.
12. New power steering.
13. New door lever.
14. New driver side power window.
15. T-belt service.
16. Oil pan gasket to be replaced soon.

I'm a rookie with only one month's worth of ownership, and just dropped $1500 on dealer-recommended timing belt/water pump/other crap that they say i need. I hope this is not indicative of my month expenses with my new baby :smile:

What year and milage is your car. I think the $1500 looks about right. That would settle you down for another 70K miles. Other than that new rear tires after 10K miles, normal oil service. Not much actually. Parts maybe a little expensive than other japanese sportscar but they are not called supercar are they?
whatisreal7 said:
I'm a rookie with only one month's worth of ownership, and just dropped $1500 on dealer-recommended timing belt/water pump/other crap that they say i need. I hope this is not indicative of my month expenses with my new baby :smile:

I was planning to do a similar list of all costs incurred over my 2 years of ownership, sometime this winter. I'm not ready for the bottom line number right now. It's tough enough to deal with the end of summer, haha :smile: . We have had pretty good weather so far this fall in Seattle, with plenty of nsx!

First 4 months of ownership for me...

:tongue: 1991 Sebring/all stock 27,000 mile...$36,000
:biggrin: Wheels/Tires...$2800
:biggrin: HIDs...$360
:biggrin: New Stereo (Alpine HU/Kenwood EQ/Ipod/JL Sub-speakers/redesigned console...$2000
:biggrin: LED bulbs for interior/parking...$50
:biggrin: Eibach springs + install/allignment $550
:eek: Clearcorners.com taillights...$1675
:eek: New taillights/center for conversion...$900
:biggrin: Ark Exhaust/Installation...$450
:frown: ABS system maintenance...$80
:mad: Coolant overflow tank...$200
:mad: Front pads (integra type-r)/installation...$200
:wink: Couple of oil changes...$80
:tongue: Endless cleaning supplies...?

Total...$45,345 :eek: :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

I love it though...good thing I am not married. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Jin, I have a 98 w/ 24K miles that I picked up for $41K. My front tires are pretty much shot, so gotta think about either two front tires, or just getting new rims and new tires all around.

Back