• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FIRST TIME BUYER HAS QUESTIONS

HELLO ALL!

First a little story...

Well It all started about 9 years ago...I was working in high school at a bowling alley...cleaning lanes..emptying ash trays...and becoming more and more weary of the drudgery of non stimulating manual laboer..(as opposed to stimulating manual labor...smirk.)...the manager of the bowling alley was meeting with the owner, who stopped by to check things out. Well..little did I know my love afair would start with a tragedy...the bike I used to get back and forth to work was stolen that night...and at 8pm am when I would usualy get off, I needed a ride home. The owner said he would be happy to give me a ride...walking out in the parking lot...parked across several spaces under the amber glow of the tower lot light...I saw a vehicle thats appearance stunned me...It was low...really low..and wide..way to wide for a corvette..and as I approached further..I felt this little shake and twinge in my stomach...exactly like kissing a girl you have been dating for the very first time...this feeling of excitement... so, mustering up all the vocabularly power in the english language a 16 year old can ...I stated...WOW!..thats it...just WOW!...not "that is a very nice looking car"..or "beautiful car..have you owned it long?"....well nedless to say, after a spirited drive home...I was hooked...I learned this machine...this work of art.I couldnt possibly call it a car...a Yugo is a car..this is a piece of emotion if emotion could ever take physical form.. was called an NSX.

September 20th, 2000.

I am ready....

So naturaly I have read every thing there is to read and tried to learn everything there is to learn...I cant get enough...and I fear this will only get worse!...my god! you mean there are others like me out there...lol

so...on to the questions..

1) I would like to buy a Targa top model

a) In the spirit of good value I know they came out in 95.So I would like to look for a 95.. But speaking with a guy in Phoenix Arizona (where I live now) who aparently is a GURU ( I forget his name) said if I buy a targa, I will not be able to put in the japanese gears (6 speed). Is this true? I think I have read in here that it can be done??

2)Is a 95 and newer out of the snap ring failure range?

3) should I just go with a 6 sped year instead..and spend a little more?

4) for those of you whom have lowered the car do you have a problem with speed bumps?

Thats all I can think of for now....I have to tell you though....I am just as excited about joining the NSX clubs as I am about owning the NSX...I have never seen anything like it...this fellowship of people...Like a quote of one of the posters.."the reality IS better than the dream" I certainly hope so!

Take care,
Matt

Originally posted by mattchu:
So I would like to look for a 95.. But speaking with a guy in Phoenix Arizona (where I live now) who aparently is a GURU ( I forget his name) said if I buy a targa, I will not be able to put in the japanese gears (6 speed). Is this true?

Hi Matt,

That is not correct for two reasons. First, the Japanese "short" gears are for the 5-speed transmission only - there is no set for the 6-speeds. All the 6-speeds are the same. Second, yes, you can put the Japanese short gears in a '95 5-speed. You can also change the R&P.

2)Is a 95 and newer out of the snap ring failure range?

Yes.

3) should I just go with a 6 sped year instead..and spend a little more?

In my opinion, yes. The '97+ cars offer a number of advantages over just having the 6-speed transmission.

Ahhhhh, another with a story I can relate to. Check out my NSX website's "A Dream" section to see what I mean.

I was in your position about a year ago, but my debate was purely whether I should buy used or new. I absolutely had to have a Targa which meant I absolutely had to have a 97+ version of the car.

I figure, if you're going to spend a lot of money on one of these fine vehicles, you might as well do it right. IMHO, '94 is the perfect value/performance for the coupe, and '97 is the best for the targa as they had not fully adjusted the car for such a modification before then (improved structural rigidity, offset the weight with larger engine and tighter gearing, etc.).

Good luck and hope I can welcome you to our enthusiastic group soon.

As for lowering the car, I scrape the chin guard all the time and my NSX is completely stock. If you do lower it, you'll just have to get used to approaching every driveway at extreme angles and crawling over every dip.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 21 September 2000).]

Thanks for the info Lud and Akira...I will let you know as soon as I get one... I have about 60 days to wait ..(I will problably be moving to the Los Angeles area) Are there any clubs in this area?

Yes...the NSXCA Southwest Region holds monthly meetings down in Huntington Beach. Unfortunately, that usually means nearly two hours of traffic hell to get there...

The meetings are usually held at Team NSX (NSX Modified), as far as I know the only NSX-specific service shop in the country. Alex Vizcarra, NSXCA prez, usually hosts the meetings.

Let me know how things go in your quest to NSX and perhaps I'll meet ya when you get out here
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 21 September 2000).]

Back