• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

? for you

There's one MAJOR thing that I've seen just about everywhere I've worked....

Set FIRM goal dates. Don't say "we need to do this", say "we need to do this by (such and such date)", and then assign a project leader who assigns specific duties and is responsible for getting the project done.

This may seem like a given to many of you, but in many arenas, nobody knows what is involved in a project from the outset, which people think is an excuse for not giving a firm date of completion.

1. Give the employees some motivation. It is sad but true that most people won't work to their potential unless they're given a really good reason. I typically suggest performance-based bonuses since a properly run bonus program lays out required goals/objectives/completions in order to get the bonus (or a portion of it). My last company offered 30% bonuses based on company profitability and personal performance each year. It was awesome! Another option is a long weekend (on the company's dime) once a quarter, or something small like that, just to give the employees an "atta boy!" for their hard work (again, this would be a performance-based reward).

2. Let the employees work. There is nothing more frustrating than having to go to a meeting every two hours to rehash things that could easily be handled by one or two mass emails and/or a phone call or two. A manager should be able to collect, compile, and distribute information in an easily understood form. Meetings seem to be often used as a means of giving information that could just as easily be distributed beforehand.

3. Make it a point to show appreciation and consideration to employees. While monetary reward is nice, some people work and respond better to semi-regular encouragement or approval from their boss. Public recognition is often even better (employee of the month/quarter/year, etc, etc) since it induces a competitive nature to the employees. This could also be tied to a bonus program.

Much as it pains me to say it, my employer could most easily boost productivity by taking away everyone's internet access.

Much as it pains me to say it, my employer could most easily boost productivity by taking away everyone's internet access.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh(!)

my wife says she's gonna take away my internet connection / prime-line until i finish this damn project.

1. Beer tap
2. Xbox and Playstation 3

Well, we have that... productivity remains abysmal.

3. Girls bouncing on trampolines

Getting warmer, as long as it remains in that order.

I'll tell you what I propose.... Free Michelin Racing Slicks. [18X13J]

You wouldn't believe the increase in productivity. It would be truely astounding. Ten thousand lines of code every day. Now the quality... that's a different matter entirely. Let's take a coffee break, we'll talk about rotors. :cool:

Well, we have that... productivity remains abysmal.

Getting warmer, as long as it remains in that order.

I'll tell you what I propose.... Free Michelin Racing Slicks. [18X13J]

You wouldn't believe the increase in productivity. It would be truely astounding. Ten thousand lines of code every day. Now the quality... that's a different matter entirely. Let's take a coffee break, we'll talk about rotors. :cool:
rotors - yes, that would do it (for some :)

1. Be very careful what you ask your people to do b/c almost always you will ask them to do things that don't drive either 1. Revenue or 2. Cost reduction
2. If you ask your people to provide status reports, READ THEM instead of peppering them w/ questions throughout the week (when the answers were IN the status reports)
3. Let people work the hours they need to work to get the job done. Don't stick to the 8-5 if it isn't directly related to goal achievement. Make your people success checkers instead of clock checkers.

2. If you ask your people to provide status reports, READ THEM instead of peppering them w/ questions throughout the week (when the answers were IN the status reports)

This was the #1 PITA at my previous job. Upper management demanded weekly status reports, but they never took the time to read them, and kept calling me in for questions and meetings asking for information that was in the frakking report.

One of many reasons why I don't work there anymore.

1. Be very careful what you ask your people to do b/c almost always you will ask them to do things that don't drive either 1. Revenue or 2. Cost reduction

Some places operate like that, we call them sweat shops.

Be careful what you ask for. The more TPS reports you have, the more middle managers you need to read them, which means more better paying positions.

3. Let people work the hours they need to work to get the job done. Don't stick to the 8-5 if it isn't directly related to goal achievement. Make your people success checkers instead of clock checkers.

Why make them come in at all, when they can tele-commute from beside the swimming pool. A lot of employers make the mistake of having big buildings and fancy fountains and a lot of stuff they just don't really need.

The ideal work environment after all, is none.

If this "Company" has people calling it, to talk to a representitave, please tell them to turn off the Automated BS Recordings! nobody likes that $hit, its irritating and retarded. Put a real person on the phone from the get go. Its more professional and personal.

Just some thoughts based on my time in the workforce.

1. Get rid of e-mail as a management tool.
2. Encourage people to work together.
3. Set goals for the team, reward achievement.
4. Teach leadership not management.

I believe in people are the assets of a company. More Hewlett and Packard.

Miner

More autonomy for lower enlisted but with more accountability, stricter disciplinary action for offenses, involving officers only in cases of criminal behavior, giving NCOs the authority to carry out punishment (rather than simply recommend it).

thx for the continued feedback, all.

reading all of these makes me wonder how many people have suggested these things to their employers and what (if any) action the employers have taken on their suggestions.

i once worked for a company that began a suggestion box program but didn't like the suggestions so removed the box.

otoh, i've worked for several companies where we encouraged employees to say what they had to say in our open / employee meetings. as a management team, we were tasked with addressing each and every issue to resolution. not all were resolved to the employee's wishes, but we addressed them all.

thx for the continued feedback, all.

reading all of these makes me wonder how many people have suggested these things to their employers and what (if any) action the employers have taken on their suggestions.

i once worked for a company that began a suggestion box program but didn't like the suggestions so removed the box.

otoh, i've worked for several companies where we encouraged employees to say what they had to say in our open / employee meetings. as a management team, we were tasked with addressing each and every issue to resolution. not all were resolved to the employee's wishes, but we addressed them all.

<<<<<-------Scribbles down on a piece of paper, Install stripper pole in the break room., deposits the paper in box and smiles. :biggrin: Kidding.

Back