• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Formula Red Clearcoat

I'm in the process of polishing my 1991 NSX I just got. The paint is really soft with swirls and light scratches all over. Using a Rupes green pad with Menzerna FG400. It was working well until I spent about 20 seconds polishing out a scratch. It appears I blew through too much clear. Not all the way through. The spot appears much darker in color now. I must have removed too much tinted clear. I wonder if it's possible to repair it.

Last edited:
What year is the car? Just to be clear, there is "Formula Red" and "New Formula Red".

There's always the trade-off of letting the scratch be visible by some degree or polish it completely away. You've decided to option two and on multi-stage color that the worst option.

As the paint is not removed there's no way to repair it unless you respray it again. But is it really necessary?

Just polished ours with menzerna and chemical guys products, came out great. Always start out with lightest compounds and work your way higher so you don’t cut too much too fast.

Back