• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Front calipers on the rear ?

Just a (stupid) idea but perhaps someone already had the same. When going front BBK, would it be possible with specific brackets to install the front stock calipers on the rear ? Would the 21 vs 28 mm thick rotor be a problem for example ?

Do you thin too that it will be good in term of :
- brake bias ?
- long term pad availability (front pads beeing of a more common size) ?

If you have large enough front brakes with:
1. big enough pad surface area
2. big enough piston area

It could be done.
You would require custom two peace rotors on the rear axle with specific rotors hats and calliper brackets.
Big problem is you'd lose your handbrake

Unless your running serous power or racing heavily it pointless in a pure performance perspective.
Back to the matter of bias, my first thought when I think front caliper on the rear axle would be add a KB1/2 Legend 4 piston calliper on the front with let say a 330mm disc.
Running a 300x28 rear.

I'd need to dig up my pad and piston calculations for both calipers to calculate the bias ratio.

Last edited:
It would be in a race only application '91 NSX. For example, put a Brembo or Stoptech front and re-use the stock front calipers on the stock rear rotors.

I don't think anyone has done this before.

First of all, you would have to try if your front calipers will fit under the rear wheels. It's the whole packages that needs to fit (bracket + caliper).

Second, you cannot run the front calipers with the rear disc. Like you said, the thickness is different (21mm or 23mm rear versus 28mm front). With thinner discs, your pistons have to come out much further than designed and that doesn't sound good to me.
Mounting a thicker rotor might help, but you might need longer wheel studs in that case as well.

Third, you will loose your handbrake.

That said, if you are going to mount a front BBK anyway, there is no one stopping you from trying.

I contemplated putting the front caliper at the rear a long time ago:rolleyes:
As far as I remember the primary issue came from the fact that the rear hubs are much larger than the front.
This means that there is not enough space to "lower" the front caliper on the rear disk!
Good try:wink:

I contemplated putting the front caliper at the rear a long time ago:rolleyes:
As far as I remember the primary issue came from the fact that the rear hubs are much larger than the front.
This means that there is not enough space to "lower" the front caliper on the rear disk!
Good try:wink:

Using the stock rear discs is out of the question.
Not only will you run in to mounting issues in terms of space and bracket.
but you'd need huge shim spacers to make the pistons line up.

Only viable option is a custom 2 piece disc

Back