• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Funk in the trunk

Ever since I've owned my NSX (about three years now) there's been a noticeable mildew like smell in the trunk. I'm fairly certain this is due to a faulty/worn taillight gasket but since I never drive the car in the rain, this repair hasn't been a priority for me. At any rate, I think I'm going to remove and clean the trunk lining in an effort to get rid of the objectionable odor. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what product(s)/method I should use to do this? Regards - Brett

well to get rid of the smell you have to stop the water coming in. that is the reason that the smell persists.

I'm giving you an award for best thread title of the month.

Ever since I've owned my NSX (about three years now) there's been a noticeable mildew like smell in the trunk. I'm fairly certain this is due to a faulty/worn taillight gasket but since I never drive the car in the rain, this repair hasn't been a priority for me. At any rate, I think I'm going to remove and clean the trunk lining in an effort to get rid of the objectionable odor. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what product(s)/method I should use to do this? Regards - Brett

The first issue I dealt with when I got my NSX was the funk in the trunk- in my case it was about 2 inches of water in the trunk pan where the tool kit sits! :eek:

Bottom line, my tail light gaskets were shot and every time there was a torrential rainstorm, the water just poured into the trunk. You need to do two things to finally get rid of that funk:

1. Replace both gaskets with new ones. Make sure not to overtighten the lights. You want them snug but not crushed.
2. Remove trunk carpet trim and foam toolkit holder and lay them in the hot sun for the whole day. Make sure to lay the foam holder upside down with the bottom facing the sun. Once they are completely dry (since you are in San Antonio, I doubt this will be a problem lol), spray them with some febreeze to kill the musty smell.

I did this in 2008 and my trunk has been bone dry and musty smell free ever since.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Honcho, the problem I'm having sounds identical to te one you describe. I suppose this will be my next project. Cheers!

Man I am having the same problem and I thought it water was coming in from the Antenna that was missing.....so it is the gaskets around the lights ? If so, where is the best place to get the replacement gaskets ?

Man I am having the same problem and I thought it water was coming in from the Antenna that was missing.....so it is the gaskets around the lights ? If so, where is the best place to get the replacement gaskets ?

Tim Poliniak at Acura of Peoria. Call him.

I just RTV caulked where the lens and black plastic was starting to separate and didn't have any more leaks.

I did a pretty professional looking job where I masked the lens to avoid over caulking and before it dried I peeled off the tape.

I used clear RTV, but looking back I think if I used black RTV it was have probably been better since it would match the black plastic trim better.

The tail light gaskets are not the same as the lens gaskets here. The water seals are the foam gaskets between the black plastic and the metal bulkhead as opposed to the glue between the lenses and backing.

I had a similar issue because whoever did this last on my car double-gasketed them. So there was one set of foam stuck to the bulkhead, and one set stuck to the light assembly, and those were stuck to each other. The hardest part was peeling/wiping/and scraping the old foam off before putting the new ones on (one per-side this time).

Back