• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Further troubleshooting of A/C system

The A/C system on my '92 was not working when I bought it in March, but I plan on changing that. I have done some basic troubleshooting, and here is what I have discovered:
1) The fan blows just fine - The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a difference between running with or without the A/C on, regardless of the temperature.
2) The fuse for the left condenser was blown, so I replaced it.
3) There is pressure in the refrigerant system, although it smells more like stale air, and has about 50psi of pressure - Shouldn't it be higher?
4) The sight glass on the A/C system is not clear - Instead, it looks like the other side of the glass is milky or coated in a white/grey gunk.
5) Both condenser fans are running as expected when the A/C is on.
6) I ran the "Self-Diagnosis Circuit Check" described on page 22-12 of the shop manual, and no problems were displayed.

The two things that trouble me are foggy sight glass and the fact that the pressure valve seems to be spitting out more pressurized air than freon out. I'm thinking about getting the system retrofitted to R134A, but I'd like to know the cause of the sight glass problem first.

At this stage, the main question on my mind is why the sight glass would be foggy - Any suggestions? What other steps should I take myself before getting the A/C system inspected/worked on?

Thanks,
Aaron

Back