• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Future owner has questions

Good evening ladies and gentleman,

I am a true Honda enthusiast and am ready to delve into the ultimate Honda. I started with the standard Civic SI and moved my way up to the beautiful AP1 S2000. But my poor S2000 is getting to the point where it is getting to be a hassle to drive because of extensive engine work and FI. So i need a daily. And i cant go anywhere but up.

So i am looking for a Keiser Silver or Berlina Black. I want to keep it stock with the exception of a drop and some Volk LEs and Exhaust.

I want to know:

1: What year did they go to a 6-speed?
2: What is the benefits of an NA2 over an NA1 and vise/versa?
3: What are normal problems that are found on high mileage NA1s.
4: Any advise on things to look for that are particular for the NSX.

I would like a 96-99. I like the pop ups. So kill me. Ha. I also just want to throw out there, when I do buy this dream car, it will be kept as clean as humanly possible. I cant wait to join the community.

Thanks

Skate

My Baby

BallinOutrageous.jpg

NewEngineBay.jpg

The 3.2 liter and 6 speed started in 97, 95-96 are the T roofs, but the 3 liter 5 speed.02 is when the facelift took place.You will find all this and much more as you navigate the site and the faqs,now called wiki.

"search" is your friend. Not really attempting to be a jerk, but if you use this function, you'll find tons of opinions, and answers to your questions, etc.

I've owned both a NA1 and NA2 NSX and you can't go wrong with either.

You'll find a few of us are ex-S2000 owners and some of us own both. I've just picked up another S2000 as I missed it that much. But I will get another NSX when I return to Canada - that's how it goes.

That being said on the earlier cars the common issues are Snap Ring failure (search for that or check out the WIKI above in the menu), and some electrical gremlins (main relay - also search that). Otherwise the NSX is very very reliable. If you are looking for 97-01's they all feature the 3.2L V6 and 6-speed manual transmission. The 02's and up got a revised updated look and interiors changed ever so slightly with perforated leather seats, different shift knobs, and nicer dash stitching. Subtle to say the least...

Engines:
91-94, 95, 96 - 3.0L V6 w/5-speed trans
97-05 - 3.2L V6 w/6-speed trans
Automatic cars all have the 3.0L V6 standard for all years

Bodies:
Coupes from 91-94 and some specially ordered coupes from 97-01 (rare).
No coupes from 02-05 in North America
Targa's 95 thru 05

Good luck on your search.

I have a '95, and I don't miss having a 6th gear (coming from an '04 G35 6mt). Based on everything I've read on this site, the 6 speed is really no different in gearing from the 5 speed. It just adds the big top gear for interstate cruising (or if you're really trying to reach top speed).

I think I'm at about 3500 RPM at 80mph in 5th, which is a bit higher than my 6 speed G35, but still quiet when you want it to be.

'95+ did change the gearing of second gear, which I think in the older models was ever-so-slightly too tall for the best acceleration out of first. But I don't think it was a big deal either way.

The '97 will give you that extra gear, and a bigger engine, but I honestly don't miss it. The '95 NSX makes my '04 G35 feel like a slow-accelerating, poor-handling POS. (not that the G is either of those things....it just is in comparison)

I might be singing a different tune if I was moving in reverse though from a '97 to a '95. Then those added features probably would be missed.

I wanted a '97, but for $25 for a single owner '95, I couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:
Based on everything I've read on this site, the 6 speed is really no different in gearing from the 5 speed. It just adds the big top gear for interstate cruising (or if you're really trying to reach top speed)...
You haven't read enough, my friend! :D

Reference:

www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/gearratios.htm

Long-story-short, the OE USDM '97+ 6-spd. is in essence more or less JDM 5-spd. short-gears plus a 6th gear. The '91-'96 NSX 5spd. does have it's merits, having a "tall" 2nd gear which keeps the NSX in it's power-band w/ less shifting on most road-courses/tracks.

In terms of overall performance (based on power, weight, gearing, etc')...

'97-'05 NSX 6spd. > '91-'94 NSX 5spd. > '95-'96 NSX 5spd. > '91-'05 NSX 4spd.

You haven't read enough, my friend! :D

Reference:

www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/gearratios.htm

Long-story-short, the OE USDM '97+ 6-spd. is in essence more or less JDM 5-spd. short-gears plus a 6th gear. The '91-'96 NSX 5spd. does have it's merits, having a "tall" 2nd gear which keeps the NSX in it's power-band w/ less shifting on most road-courses/tracks.

In terms of overall performance (based on power, weight, gearing, etc')...

'97-'05 NSX 6spd. > '91-'94 NSX 5spd. > '95-'96 NSX 5spd. > '91-'05 NSX 4spd.
hi friend!! I have a question!! 6speed cruise on highway at 80mph, what rpm reach to?? 3400 to 3500 rpm?? Please let me know!! And 5 speed and 6 speed are no different?? Thanks!!

not sure...

hi friend!! I have a question!! 6speed cruise on highway at 80mph, what rpm reach to?? 3400 to 3500 rpm?? Please let me know!! And 5 speed and 6 speed are no different?? Thanks!!
I'm the wrong fella' to ask, bud! :redface:

My current NSX is a '94 that originally had the OE USDM 5spd. transmission, and the then-owner retrofitted an OE USDM 6spd. transmission w/ OS-Giken LSD which as the 4.44 final-drive (along w/ 17/18 after-market wheels w/ 215/40R17 & 265/35R18 tires, respectively). I'm literally at-or-above 3,500 rpm's most of the time while cruising @ ~80mph! :eek:

The following may help...

Calculate Speed (MPH) for given RPM / Rear Gear Ratio / Trans. Gear Ratio)

Need these, too: Tire Diameter Calculator & NSXPrime FAQ: Gear Ratios

('91-'93, '94-'01, '02-'05 all have different F/R tire sizes)

... which gives ~3,500 rpm's @ 80mph for the '91-'96 NSX 5-spd. (while in 5th gear) & ~3,200 rpm's @ 80mph for the '97-'05 NSX 6-spd.

-or-

Gear-Speed Calculator Program

-or-

rpm = (mph x gear x final x 88) / circ

rpm = engine rpm
circ = tire circumference, in feet
gear = gear ratio of your car
final = final drive ratio of your car
88 = combines several conversion factors

Last edited:
Drive both a five speed and a six speed then tell me there is not a difference. Believe me, there is. I've owned both.:biggrin:

Looking at your current baby I'm guessing you track the car. Or is the Tow hook just for show? If so your a poser but thats a different issue....:tongue:

I ask becuase if your going to track your NSX it might make a difference to you which year you get.

I think I got confused by this statement found on the "changes by model year" wiki entry under the '97 model year:

"The final gear ratio does not change, so 6th gear in the 1997 NSX results in 6.9% higher vehicle speed than 5th gear in the 1996 model."

I took this to mean that the gear ratio from 1st through 5th was the same between the 1996 and 1997 model and that the 6th gear was just a bigger end gear. I guess I just read too much into that entry.

I definitely like that on many of the twisty roads (when the twists are close together) that I don't have to shift out of second too often in my '95.

Looking at your current baby I'm guessing you track the car. Or is the Tow hook just for show? If so your a poser but thats a different issue....:tongue:

I ask becuase if your going to track your NSX it might make a difference to you which year you get.

I have been to track days but do not race it. If that makes sense. I am not good enough to be tryin to win anything yet. That picture was the morning of a benefit show i was attending. But the tow hook does come in handy everytime i break her and she get drug to my tuner for more work. HA.

And no the NSX will be my DD so i can go all out with the S.

To everyone else, thank you for your input. I did search before this post but wasnt satisfied with the wiki changes by year. I am not that interested in the different rear view mirror or stitching on the dash. Not to sound like a douche. The gearing is important cause i cant but help romp a little bit on the back roads and the cruise rpm is good to know cause i do a lot of driving. Like the S2K, i will be putting a lot of miles on the vehicle but i dont plan on ever selling it off. Thanks to all. Peace.

-Skate

Back