• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GapGate - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 shipping with gaps in it's frame!

Oh no! Will this get blown out of proportion like #BendGate ????

Probably not, it's Samsung, so most people won't even know about it.

http://bgr.com/2014/09/29/galaxy-note-4-screen-separation-issue/

In related news, Samsung sold out of the Galaxy Note 4 on launch. All 30,000 of them. That's a long way to the 15,000 million they hope to sell in the first month.
In contrast, Apple sold over 10 million in it's first weekend.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-sold-out-in-south-korea-29-09-2014/

I read gapegate and was excited to see where this would lead.
Disappointed.

My friend is on his 3rd GS5, the camera fell apart on the first two. I am not a big fan of samsung build quality.

In related news, Samsung sold out of the Galaxy Note 4 on launch. All 30,000 of them. That's a long way to the 15,000 million they hope to sell in the first month.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-sold-out-in-south-korea-29-09-2014/

Wait, so Apple "sold" 10 million on it's first weekend, but how many did they actually ship the opening weekend? Just curious..
Most of my friends bought the iPhone 6 plus the opening weekend, but it won't ship until October and November.

Wait, so Apple "sold" 10 million on it's first weekend, but how many did they actually ship the opening weekend? Just curious..
Most of my friends bought the iPhone 6 plus the opening weekend, but it won't ship until October and November.

Yes, sold, meaning currency was exchanged between people and the Apple stores, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Walmart, Best Buy, and any number of other stores. Whether some people actually received their phones on Sep 19th or had/have to wait for a later ship date, well, that doesn't matter. They were still sold. Just like when Ferrari produces it's halo car, like the Ferrari Enzo, most, if not all are sold and spoken for before they are even delivered.

Unlike Samsung, which is known to fudge their numbers, usually publishes shipped numbers vs actual sales numbers.

Yes, sold, meaning currency was exchanged between people and the Apple stores, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Walmart, Best Buy, and any number of other stores. Whether some people actually received their phones on Sep 19th or had/have to wait for a later ship date, well, that doesn't matter. They were still sold. Just like when Ferrari produces it's halo car, like the Ferrari Enzo, most, if not all are sold and spoken for before they are even delivered.

Unlike Samsung, which is known to fudge their numbers, usually publishes shipped numbers vs actual sales numbers.

The Note 4 isn't sold in the USA yet, so you cant really compare it to the iphone. Plus, it is not a high volume device. People who buy the note might cross shop the 6+ but not much else. How many of the 10 million were 6+? I bet we will see high return rates on the 6+ also for people who didnt realize how big it was when they pre-ordered.

The Note 4 isn't sold in the USA yet, so you cant really compare it to the iphone. Plus, it is not a high volume device. People who buy the note might cross shop the 6+ but not much else. How many of the 10 million were 6+? I bet we will see high return rates on the 6+ also for people who didnt realize how big it was when they pre-ordered.

You can also argue that both iPhones are not available in other countries as well, including China. iPhone 6/+ launched in 10 countries. I don't know the breakdown of sales between countries, but let's just say 6+ sales only accounted for 10% of total sales. That's still 1 million iPhones. Lets further divide those numbers evenly between those 10 countries, that comes out to 100,000 iPhone 6 Plus per country. Still a lot more than 30,000 phones in one country.

Samsung themselves have said the reason for moving up the Note 4 launch date was due to the iPhone 6/+. I don't see how they would be surprised at how many phones Apple is selling, since Samsung IS a supplier and they know exactly how many units of whatever components they supply Apple with, are actually delivered to Apple. Samsung have also stated that they hope to sell(ship) 15 Million phones in the first month.

As for high return rates, don't you think we would have heard about it by now if that were the case? It would be the next *gate. ReturnGate perhaps?

The big difference with these returns is that they will be for a six instead. Apple won't lose customers from it. But I could be totally wrong.

The big difference with these returns is that they will be for a six instead. Apple won't lose customers from it. But I could be totally wrong.

Most likely would be in exchange for a 6, but there's still no evidence of any kind of substantial amount of returns.

Apples to oranges.
Android is like the PC market. Just like it's not just Dell making PCs, it's not just Samsung making Android phones.
I've had several android phones and never a samsung. I've had HTC, LG, etc, etc.
Android has something like 70-80% of the market BTW. Honestly, Apple isn't really a player anymore.

Apples to oranges.
Android is like the PC market. Just like it's not just Dell making PCs, it's not just Samsung making Android phones.
I've had several android phones and never a samsung. I've had HTC, LG, etc, etc.
Android has something like 70-80% of the market BTW. Honestly, Apple isn't really a player anymore.

Apple is doomed too right?

I don't think Apple will be doomed anytime soon, but if the iPhone loses popularity they will not be the company they are today.

but didn't you know, Apple is not a player anymore. Android has 70-80% of the market. Shirley Apple must be making up these sales figures.

I'm failing to see your logic here. So Samsung releases "shipped" numbers (or actual completed sales transactions - money for product), vs Apple releasing "sales numbers" (which means Apple took your money with a promise to deliver a product at a later date).
Sales numbers are always going to be higher than shipped numbers. So what is Samsung's "sales numbers" like? I guess we can't really compare since it hasn't been released outside Korea or China.

I'm failing to see your logic here. So Samsung releases "shipped" numbers (or actual completed sales transactions - money for product), vs Apple releasing "sales numbers" (which means Apple took your money with a promise to deliver a product at a later date).
Sales numbers are always going to be higher than shipped numbers. So what is Samsung's "sales numbers" like? I guess we can't really compare since it hasn't been released outside Korea or China.

It means that Samsung has released shipped numbers in the past and try to pass it off as sales numbers. Meaning, they shipped x amount of phones, but only sold y amount, while the rest of the stock sits on store shelves.

It means that Samsung has released shipped numbers in the past and try to pass it off as sales numbers. Meaning, they shipped x amount of phones, but only sold y amount, while the rest of the stock sits on store shelves.

Oh ok... But in this instance, they've both shipped and sold all 30k? So that's good I think.

Anyway, as a side note I just saw this on Yahoo news about an iOS virus going around.. Probably ok here in the US but let's hope a fix is out soon.
http://news.yahoo.com/advanced-ios-virus-targeting-hong-kong-protesters-security-210741365.html

Apple is doomed too right?

Honestly, yes. I really don't see apple being in business 15 years from now.

Maybe they'll file a chapter 11 and just steal their shareholder and bondholders money like GM did and reopen, but I don't see them staying healthy.
They're falling WAY WAY WAY behind and haven't innovated in YEARS.
Remember, Blackberries used to be cool. Motorola Razors used to be cool.
You can see now days that Apple products are being made fun of left and right.
It's no longer a superior product, and more important, it's no longer a 'cool' product.

Apple makes money from selling MP3s and cell phones.
Their cell phones are behind in quality and functionality, and people only buy MP3s through them because they have their cell phone.
Once everyone jumps to another phone, they'll use a better MP3 service like Amazon or Google, and that will be it for Apple.
It could happen in 3 years or maybe 15, but yeah. I doubt they'll exist very long unless they pull something out of thin air.

Last edited:
Oh ok... But in this instance, they've both shipped and sold all 30k? So that's good I think.

Anyway, as a side note I just saw this on Yahoo news about an iOS virus going around.. Probably ok here in the US but let's hope a fix is out soon.
http://news.yahoo.com/advanced-ios-virus-targeting-hong-kong-protesters-security-210741365.html

So is it a virus or a trojan? And from what I read, it's not an iOS specific virus/trojan, it was found while they were researching malware on Android that was targeting protestors in China.

Honestly, yes. I really don't see apple being in business 15 years from now.

Maybe they'll file a chapter 11 and just steal their shareholder and bondholders money like GM did and reopen, but I don't see them staying healthy.
They're falling WAY WAY WAY behind and haven't innovated in YEARS.
Remember, Blackberries used to be cool. Motorola Razors used to be cool.
You can see now days that Apple products are being made fun of left and right.
It's no longer a superior product, and more important, it's no longer a 'cool' product.

Apple makes money from selling MP3s and cell phones.
Their cell phones are behind in quality and functionality, and people only buy MP3s through them because they have their cell phone.
Once everyone jumps to another phone, they'll use a better MP3 service like Amazon or Google, and that will be it for Apple.
It could happen in 3 years or maybe 15, but yeah. I doubt they'll exist very long unless they pull something out of thin air.

Ok, we'll just have to check back on Oct 1, 2017 and Oct 1, 2029, well if NSXPrime is still around of course. :)

If by huge vulnerability you mean for phones that have been deliberately jail broken, then yes. It illustrates why jail breaking opens you up to being exploited like this. This might work better in some countries where jail breaking is common. I personally don't know one person who still does it nowadays.

Yup, looks like an iOS device needs to be jailbroken for it to be vulnerable.
Not only that, but this is a Trojan, not a Virus. You need to install it through Cydia.

My last phone was an iPhone 5, I jailbroke but the tweaks I would install have been shrinking with every new iOS version.
I think the percentage of jailbreakers is very small, and shrinking.

First and foremost I would like to say I am not loyal to any phone company. I can't understand why people argue over a phone. But from my experience with the original Samsung Galaxy S, iPhone 5, and Galaxy Note 2, I think Samsung is the better phone. IOS is much smoother than Android, and they give you software updates faster because they are not third party. Samsung has more features, and is more customizable. Drag and drop files, custom ROMS, etc. I prefer open source to proprietary. The thing I hate about Samsung is they have to wait for Google to update Android software. If Samsung had IOS smoothness it would be perfect. While the retina display is superb, I hate the greyed out blacks and washed out colors. Samsung colors can be too saturated but at least you can customize it in the display settings. The thing I hate about Apple is they are sitting upon a pile of cash suited for King Tut, but they don't give you the latest and greatest hardware. They could have easily offered sapphire glass and a more rigid chassis (for the premium price they charge). They could have also designed a more futuristic looking phone. Instead of coming out with a bang, the iPhone 6 looks like my two year old Galaxy Note 2. With almost $200 billion in net worth, I can't see why they didn't. I can understand when people prefer Apple to Samsung based on user experience, but when they swear its technically superior I can never comprehend. Here's the specs for the base model.

iPhone 6+ ... 1080p screen, 1 GB of RAM, 16GB storage 1.2 MP front camera, and 8MP rear camera. Non removable battery and no SD card.
Note 4 .........1440p screen, 3 GB of RAM, 32GB storage 3.7 MP front camera, and 16MP rear camera. Removable battery and SD card accessibility.

I can't believe people would wait in line for hours for a phone. But to each their own. When I was at the apple store to get the iPhone 5, it was full of snobby people. I began to feel like its a smug phone for smug people. I almost felt the people in there were robotic/brainwashed. It's a good thing I'm not obsessed with smartphones. My contract is up and I am awaiting the Galaxy Note 4. Not because its a Samsung, but because of its hardware and internals. If I wasn't getting the Note 4 I would be buying the LG G3 not the Galaxy S5.

Back