• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

got a few questions.

Hey guys im new to the nsx family, im the guy who recently purchased the red nsx from Pierre, or achouchou, overall i think the car is in good condition and i have all the body parts which ive purchased from him for a great price at the body shop right now gettin prepped. to complete the nsx exterior, so far the transaction with him has been great i live in maine and have been to mass 3 times and each has been helpfull. hes a great guy to deal with. now...

As i am new to the whole nsx thing, i dont know much but the basics that i researched prior to my long search and final purchase of my nsx. Before this i have been a dsm guy with thousands into big turbos and random stuff and im finaly ready for a real sports car. :biggrin:

Now to some of my questions. Everytime I start the car the abs light kicks on when i start to move and then the tcs light kicks in and the car bogs out, and i have to let the rpms drop and get totaly off the trottle for the car to recoup its power and after that it drives excellent.
Another question is when the car starts after it hasent been run a day or two it has a light tick but when it warms up the ticking goes way down and is harly noticable. do you think this is a problem? hopefully no engine rebuilds in the near future. :frown:
And my last question is probably my biggest worry, the car shifts great, although the clutch feels like it could be replaced in a few thousand miles it still grabs strong but sounds a little clunky, but my worry is when i shift from second to third over like 6k rpms it has a small grind then slids in gear easily, so far no performance seems missing, and nothin stoping me from driving it yet and hopfully anytime in the near future either. Im used to driving high mainance cars as dsms break down every other week, lol but i cant afford to have this one breaking down. so can anyone fill me in it will be much appreciated thanks much!

I can't help you with your last question regarding the clutch and trannie, other than to say, "That doesn't sound very good." I haven't come across it.

As far as the "bogging down" thing. It could be the limiter (I don't think that's what it's called). As I have read on other threads, when the engine is cold, it limits the RPMs. Whether this causes the TCS light to come on, or not, I don't know. But that question sounds normal from what I've read in the past.

There is a section in the FAQ section that shows how to check your TCS by using the wire coming out under the glove box; you may want to check it out. Hope this helps,

David.

Congrats on the car! They're very reliable, but it sounds like you have a few issues to sort out. I'll try and fill in until a 'pro' finds this thread.

What size tires are you running F/R? That can trigger the TCS.

Ticking sounds like valve noise. Some of this is normal. Might wanna run a can of techron through it.

As for the 3rd gear grind, could be clutch, synchro or even the tranny. What is the transmission #? How old is the clutch (miles)? Does it get better or worse after it is warmed up? Changed the tranny fluid lately?

More info will help troubleshoot.

Last edited:
nsx_otic said:
Everytime I start the car the abs light kicks on when i start to move and then the tcs light kicks in and the car bogs out, and i have to let the rpms drop and get totaly off the trottle for the car to recoup its power and after that it drives excellent.
My first thought was the same as 93Blk. Are you trying to rev past 7100 RPM? That's where the limiter kicks in when the car is cold.

94White is also correct; if you are using tire sizes whose outer diameter is significantly different from stock, it can cause the TCS to activate.

nsx_otic said:
Another question is when the car starts after it hasent been run a day or two it has a light tick but when it warms up the ticking goes way down and is harly noticable. do you think this is a problem?
No.

nsx_otic said:
my last question is probably my biggest worry, the car shifts great, although the clutch feels like it could be replaced in a few thousand miles it still grabs strong but sounds a little clunky, but my worry is when i shift from second to third over like 6k rpms it has a small grind then slids in gear easily, so far no performance seems missing, and nothin stoping me from driving it yet and hopfully anytime in the near future either.
It's the hub selector (and possibly the synchro as well), as described in this previous post. You'll need to open the transmission up to replace those parts and fix it. Some people have reduced the symptoms by using GM Friction Modified transmission fluid, but that doesn't fix the parts whose teeth are worn.

Where are you located? (This is why it's a good idea to put your location in your profile, so it shows up under your avatar next to your posts.) Do you have a mechanic in your area with a lot of NSX experience?

I have no mechanic with nsx experience, I live in maine, and i dont think there is even another nsx in the state that i know of.
but yea that problem sounds expensive. :mad:

How close are you to Greenwich Acura? I think that's the name of them, according to them, they're one of the biggest nsx sellers in the nation. I'd assume that if they sell that many they must have a tech who can handle your situation. Otherwise, www.acura.com is your friend for finding the nearest dealer.

nsx_otic said:
I have no mechanic with nsx experience, I live in maine, and i dont think there is even another nsx in the state that i know of.
but yea that problem sounds expensive. :mad:
Mechanics Direct Modifiers in Lowell, north of Boston, has a lot of NSX experience on both stock and modified NSXs, and a lot of the Boston-area folks go there, as noted here and here, among other places.

If I were you, if you wanted to try changing the transmission fluid to the GM stuff, you could trust that to any independent mechanic, even one that doesn't have much NSX experience (although I would print out the appropriate pages from the service manual for him; you can find a .pdf version on this website). But if you decided to have the transmission opened up to have the hub selector (and possibly synchro) replaced, then I would take it to Mechanics Direct, who probably have a lot more NSX experience than anyone closer (and there aren't any dealers in Maine anyway). For major service work, it's worth driving a ways to get it done right.

Forgive comquat1; he's a Midwesterner and doesn't realize that Greenwich Acura is about 3-4 times the distance from Maine as Boston is (and Lowell is even closer)... :D (just kidding, Doug!)

nsxtasy said:
Forgive comquat1; he's a Midwesterner and doesn't realize that Greenwich Acura is about 3-4 times the distance from Maine as Boston is (and Lowell is even closer)... :D (just kidding, Doug!)

Doh! :redface: Well you can forgive me for the hair joke I made about Mr. NSXTASY earlier then. :tongue: And you are right, I've got no clue where anything is up there, I just knew from the Dupont Registry that Greenwich was somewhere over yonder in that neck of the woods. :biggrin: I can't believe I forgot about MDM though....

Can't help you with the mechanical stuff, other than the "ticking" noise you mention may just be ABS pump sticking which is normal for these cars.

My biggest surprise is that your engine didn't fall out while driving it home. I, along with numerous other members have dealt with this guy Pierre in Ma. :mad: The consesus is he's a total "crook" who mis-represents what he sells. If you feel you got a good deal from him than more power to you, but I'm not the only one here he's taken to the "cleaners! :mad: I'd also be very afraid of any other defects he didn't disclose to you.

A few weeks back he sold me a POS right Rear QP($700), even sent me a picture describing it as like-new condition only to have it arrive with huge scuff marks, countless rock chips, several grind marks and numerous other defects. :mad: :mad: No way was it the one in his photo, or how he described it. Guess what. He refuses to take it back and now I am forced to bring a lawsuit against him across state lines because I live in Calif.

Still waiting for the pair of speakers I bought from him as well($320) which I never received. If and when(I highly doubt) they do arrive, they most likely will be in the same condition the QP was in which is totally useless to me. :mad:

I can go on and on and give you a list of other poor unfortunate souls here that have had the misfortune of dealing with this "CRIMINAL" :mad: , but what's the point. You get the idea. You may find out the hard way, just as we have. I hope for your sake it works out for you.

Last edited:
Re: the tcs and abs lights coming on simutaneously as soon as you start rolling, it could be a wheel sensor. I just had the same exact symptom with my car and that's what it turned out to be. You need to do a diagnostic check, which will tell you which wheel it is. If that's what is dx'd, you just need to replace the sensor.

Back