• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gran Turismo 3 - OMG

As some of you guys may know, I'm the owner of GranTurismo.com. I just wanted to share with you guys the work of some of the most insane computer programmers in the world.

To download some footage of the new racing game just released in Japan this weekend go here: http://www.kenjim.com/~kenji/videos/gt3/

the AVIs are in DivX format, so download the DivX decoder too. (Those are REALLY worth it)

This game is going to rock the world!

gt3pr02.mpeg has some NSX footage.
Also cool snippets of Laguna Seca and Monaco are in those videos as well.

As you probably know, I'm a frequent visitor and active member of your site too! I have been going nuts over all the clips that lucky owners of the Japanese version have been so generous to post (OMFG is an understatement).

Just a few days ago, I posted a ton of NSX-centric screen shots on the Prime:

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000151.html

I can't wait! I'm dying reading all of the posts of happy owners. I've been praying that SOMEONE brings the import to our office because I don't know if I can wait any longer. I've already preordered it and now realize that I must get that FF controller.

And to think, Sony sold 720,000 copies of GT3 on the first day (more amazingly, over 300,000 with that force feeedback controller). It's probably going to be the biggest selling video game of all time (until we come out with our next game, of course)
wink.gif

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 01 May 2001).]

That has to be the most beautiful game I've ever seen. The only thing that would make it better is to have an in-car display like Porsche Unleashed.

What is a "force feedback" controller?

"Force feedback" is a term usually applied to video game controllers that physically respond to in-game events (torque to a steering wheel, directional tension on a joystick, even simple vibration).

The controller I'm specifically talking about is Logitech's GT Force steering wheel. This USB contoller uses motors to simulate the feel of the road. Essentially, the wheel fights you in the turns and loosens up when traction is lost...the effect is said to be quite convincing in rally events.

Hey Eric. I hope you're enjoying GT3. It's an awesome game. I've been playing it this weekend too and it just kicks butt.
This game is STINGY on the money. The progress has been slow going, but I'll get to that NSX type S zero eventually.
Driving my blown toyota hatchback for now.
biggrin.gif

I am extremely pleased with the tracks. There are tons of them and most are sweet.

LOL!
ilya Thats _exactly_ what I'm doing now.
You driving the Trueno? I still havn't been able to beat all the clubman cup races... I got the force-feedback controller too. It seriously kicks major ass!

actually, I didn't like the truenno too much. I got some hatchback toyota instead. It seems to stick to the road a bit better.
I've won one of the clubman cups. Hopefully will finish them off tonight.
I'll look into the wheel. sounds cool.

Help! My son has a first generation PlayStation and Gran Turismo 2 and I enjoy competing with him when I visit. What do I need to buy to get the latest hardware (so that two people can race) and Gran Turismo 3? Is the force controller everyone is talking about a steering wheel or the normal PlayStation controller? I would like to hook it up to my Sony bigscreen and practice enough to give my son a run.

You will have to wait till mid-june or later to get the US version of GT3 unless you are a GT fanatic like we are.
wink.gif
Also, you will need to get a Playstation 2 if you don't have one already. The force-feedback controller is the official controller for GT3, so you should see more information about it in the GT3 manual. Make sure you don't get the wrong one because there are many steering wheels already out there for Playstation 2. If you havn't seen the graphics yet, you will be blown away... the NSX looks almost perfect in the game. It satisfies your craving for driving for the times you can't be cruising the real thing.
smile.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Okay, now I'm REALLY going REALLY nutz. I guess you guys didn't realize that I do NOT have the game yet. Nor does our office have a copy. Supposedly, one of my coworkers will be getting back from Japan tomorrow...and he promised to bring GT3 for the office. I'm crossin' my fingers...but, who am I kidding? I'm not going to have time to play with E3 just a couple of weeks away!

For those of you with the Japanese release of GT3, how are you playing it? Modded PS2? Or do you have access to Japanese or "TEST" PS2 stations like I do?

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 07 May 2001).]

Hi Eric. That sucks. I thought you had it already. I have a Japanese PS2 so that's how I'm running it... waiting for a good chip to be released so I can play US games too.
wink.gif

Well... if your friend falls through and you still don't have the game, you're always welcome to come by and play at my place (although I figure you work weekends these days). Brag to your coworkers that you saw it and got to play it. Maybe I'll have the NSX by then. Until then, I can drive it in Arcade Mode.

I bought a PS2 on the day it was released in Japan. It cost me $600, which considering the amount they were going for at the time was a good deal. It was dissapointing at first so I sold it a couple months later and got my $600 back.
Now that GT3 came out and with Final Fantasy X coming in just a couple months, I bought it back for $400. A US system is only $300 now, but it's worth the extra hundred for me. I await a quality chip.

GT3 also has the JGTC NSX and it looks sweet.

I am a game nut ok? I ordered the Japanese PS2 when the initial batch of PS2s came out in Japan in March of 2000. I had a friend in Japan do all this for me. I got a hold of GT3 through a local import shops that work really hard to get Japanese releases ASAP for the fanatics like myself. I'm not such a hard-core gamer like I used to be because I don't have time to play games, but there are few games like GT3 that MUST be had ASAP right?
smile.gif
I played GT3 for about 5 hours this weekend... I just wish I could have played it even more. Every NSX owner should get GT3 so he can drive Laguna Seca in his car.
smile.gif

My boss bought a Japanese PS2 for the office when they first came out, but, having easy access to such a unit made it hard for me to justify doing the same for home...so I patiently waited for the U.S. release. I'll do the same and await the U.S. version of GT3...but I know it's going to be hard if we DO get the game in here tomorrow.

Ilya, that's a pretty sweet setup. I'm going to buy the GT Force controller, but have NO idea where I'm going to set mine up (our coffee table is too nice to clamp the controller to). I'd drop by, but the E3 deadline will make that a near impossibility. And you bet I'll be checking out the GT3 area at E3...maybe I'll challenge ya there!

The REAL test will come when my coworkers all get copies of the U.S. GT3. I half imagine our game testing area being overrun by GT3 6 player i-Link madness. We already have three PS2's and three 27" Sony WEGAs conveniently located side-by-side...just need to buy a few i-Link cables and a Firewire hub, right?

Nice setup.
The pic I posted is not mine. I just found it funny and figured I'd post it. I'm not THAT psychotic to actually sit in a Recaro while playing the game. Plus, my place isn't that clean.
biggrin.gif

Ok, ok. Maybe I would if I had extra money to burn?

Where did you get that wheel? Is that the official one that is made for GT3? I thought it wasn't out yet.

I just finished getting golds on the first license last night. That last b-8 was a #$#!!!

Eric, I'm sure you guys will have a blast linking them all to the screens like that.
Maybe I'll see you at the drive on the 20th. I just met another NSXer yesterday. He works at a performance shop in my neighborhood. He has a supercharged NSX. I told him about the drive and he'll be there too.

Yup, thats the official GT3 force-feedback controller. It feels AWESOME. The peddles are extremely sensitive and really helps the driving experience too. You can never go back to playing it with your thumbs.... Whats really cool about GT3 is that you can really tweak the simulation factor. In GT1 and GT2, the physics model was not really that realistic unless you put on the simulation tires, but still it was lacking. I think GT3 solves all those problems... you can still play it with GT1/GT2 physics models too.

Eric,
as a side note, I'm assuming you know that Akira was redone and rereleased in theatres.
I never talked to you about it, but I figure since your handle is Akira3D you woould know.
biggrin.gif

It's currently playing in Burbank.
I can't wait to go see it one of these days on the big screen. It's going to be awesome.

It's playing in a theater in San Francisco too. Go see it. Just use moviephone, I don't know which theater.
It also has a completely new dub with different voice actors and remastered sound.

I have a friend that lives in San Jose. I used to live in Oakland before moving to LA.

Back