• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gran Turismo 6 - December 6, 2013 on PS3

Someone has been compiling a list of premiums vs semi-premiums vs standards.

There are at least 120 cars unique to GT6 all of which are premium, GT5 plus DLC totals around 228 premium models (all of which have been carried forward). Someone posted that there are actually over 400 full premiums in GT6. And someone else has counted at least 155 semi-premium models (no interior) in GT6 which would bring the total of HD models to well over 500 (another post suggests this number is actually over 950 HD cars).

This is a comparison of a few GT5 standard models with their semi-premium counterparts in GT6. I suspect these models will continue to be refined over time and it is possible they have been rebuilt to take advantage of their adaptive tessellation tech):

btr-86_v041-jpg.88755

xj220_s021-jpg.89820

Last edited:
Well, it's a drastic improvement, that's for sure. And I'd be perfectly happy if they focused on exteriors and got all the cars done before moving on to interiors...

Well, it's a drastic improvement, that's for sure. And I'd be perfectly happy if they focused on exteriors and got all the cars done before moving on to interiors...

I don't think they would bother adding an interior to one of the standard models...but, if 950 of the 1200+ cars already have HD exteriors, I would like to get more interiors since I predominantly play these games from cockpit view. From inside the car, it isn't THAT easy to pick out the standard competitors from the premium ones.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. I like the "bumper cam" view. The interior view, to me, is not wide enough to simulate a realistic view from the driver's seat. I suppose if I got used to it, it wouldn't bother me, but, in reality, it's too easy to shift the eyes a little to get check the peripherals, as compared to the game, where it's either impossible or takes away from the forward view too much.

The reason I want exteriors is more for photo mode and replays than for racing. My GT photos make a good backgroud screensaver when I'm doing chores or homework or whatever. More photo locations would also be nice, while we're at it :p

Last edited:
The interior view, to me, is not wide enough to simulate a realistic view from the driver's seat.

Do you have your cockpit camera set to the wide view? GT5's cockpit was the first that I felt was wide enough to be completely usable. There were a few cars I had issues with, but everything felt more believable from in the cockpit. Why they don't include a bonnet cam is beyond me.

I do like the bumper cam. I hate that I had to resort to it in wet weather races...GT5's rain effect, though cool at times, made it really hard to see.

They still haven't improved the sounds of the cars. It seems like they have used the same sound files since GT3.

They still haven't improved the sounds of the cars. It seems like they have used the same sound files since GT3.

They probably are for the standards, possibly for the semi-premiums.

Polyphony has mentioned that they have been working on a totally different approach for sounds, but it wouldn't be ready for GT6's launch...and there is a good possibility it would be applied during an update. Seems kinda silly how long the list of not-ready-for-launch features there are.

yeah...Though Forza wasn't impressing me either. Not with the News I kept reading.

Do you have your cockpit camera set to the wide view? GT5's cockpit was the first that I felt was wide enough to be completely usable. There were a few cars I had issues with, but everything felt more believable from in the cockpit. Why they don't include a bonnet cam is beyond me.

I do like the bumper cam. I hate that I had to resort to it in wet weather races...GT5's rain effect, though cool at times, made it really hard to see.

Honestly, I've tried the default cock-pit setting and then I zoomed it in to see the difference. The zoomed in setting is nice for forward view, but I can only see half the mirror, and of course, in either view, I cannot see the passenger side mirror. I could probably manage once I got used to it, though. But for me, the most rewarding aspect of the game is replays and photo mode. The racing has been the same old thing since GT3, and I've found that playing through the game eventually becomes a grind (race--->win money--->buy/modify car--->race, repeat).

What I would like to see is more useful things to spend money on. Unique modifications that improve performance better than whats at the tuning shop might be cool. When they come up (rarely), they can be purchased after certain milestones, or they could even be prizes after certain championships. Heck, I'd even like to see a limit on garage space, with progressively bigger garages being something that I could spend my credits on. Most casual players, however, would probably not like this.

I'd love to see a better paint system (why can't I at least keep my paint chips ??????).

And if we are going to bother with fully modeled interiors, why not add in some racing seats after a certain stage of weight reduction is applied, or else make them a further option (like the windows and CF hood, etc) in the weight reduction section.

I know this stuff takes time and design work and money, but these types of advancements are what would make a new GT game feel like a new GT game. I haven't opened mine up yet... it's "from Mom, to all [her] boys" (including Dad), but it's sounding more like GT5.1... okay... that's enough... /rant.

And if we are going to bother with fully modeled interiors, why not add in some racing seats after a certain stage of weight reduction is applied, or else make them a further option (like the windows and CF hood, etc) in the weight reduction section.

In GT5, you would get all that with the racing modification...but not all cars supported it. I hate when they a feature can't be applied to all cars (like cockpit views).

BTW, here's what my racing seat looks like...easily folds to be stowed away and surprisingly portable (I moved it out to the garage just for this photo):

i-QQwqHng-X2.jpg

Oh wow, that's cool!
Do you "climb" into it, or does it open up?

The bar the wheel plate is mounted to swings open to the side (a little kickstand can be extended to support the shifted weight since the weight of the wheel controller would topple the thing when no one is seated in it)...and there's a piece that rotates to lock the bar in place when you are seated or when you store the seat.

The thing is also quite adjustable...a lot of velcro.

This review sold me on it ( that, the price, and the fact I could convince my wife that I would be more likely to put the whole thing away when I am not using it :) ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_lxcNdMdmU

Last edited:
if anyone wants to run around willow springs in gt6 add me to PSN: Over_Doser

just uploaded new time attack vid on Willow Springs.

1:26:464 sports hard tires
sports exhaust, headers, intake, chip, full suspension

sgy1OZa.jpg

I4sH2zm.jpg

Willow Springs looks really good in that vid...what hardware are you using to capture your PS3?

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive!

GT5 and apparently GT6 allow you to save your run, then you can take the video and copy it from the PS3. No necessary video capture stuff needed, it's built right into the game.

GT5 and apparently GT6 allow you to save your run, then you can take the video and copy it from the PS3. No necessary video capture stuff needed, it's built right into the game.

Uh...not that I'm aware of.

My mistake, I was reading about it on the Polyphony forum, but apparently it's old info and the feature was removed from the game at some point.

Willow Springs looks really good in that vid...what hardware are you using to capture your PS3?

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive!

avermedia live gamer portable, pretty easy to set up, you'll need to remember to load up the computer program first and choose component source before you will see video on your screen.

some pics i took today, will upload HSV willow springs video shortly

R8ScN29.jpg

zwy1xbd.jpg

3aj4aul.jpg

xr43LBb.jpg

Last edited:
avermedia live gamer portable

I have the Avertv HD DVR High Definition / Analog Video card...sounds similar in that I have to use component connection (I usually capture at 720p). I haven't used it to capture any GT footage...just stuff I've worked on.

couple new vids uploaded

My copy of GT6 arrived at home today...and I'm at work. :(

Earlier this week, one of my PS3s at home died (completely dead power supply...the red light doesn't even show up), so I ended up taking home the PS3 I had setup at the office. Guess I won't be playing GT6 during lunch hours after all. Grrrr.

Hopefully I'll have some time to play GT6 over the weekend.

Bummer. We opened ours for Christmas and I just got it installed this morning. One thing is for sure: when ALL of the cars are available at the dealer, the sense of just how much 1200 cars actually is is quite staggering. But from what I'm seeing, it is very doubtful that 950 cars have already been updated with high res skins. The standard res cars still look very standard, in my opinion.

I also did not appreciate how the game pigeon holes you into buying a Honda Fit as your first car. Lame... but at least I got the 25 special cars....

I'm also really glad to see the Ferrari GTO in there! Still would like to get a 360 Modena and a 575M, though (my two favorites). And the new Charger is a nice addition. And of course the Trans Am looks amazing and I'm glad they finally got a Firebird into the game (the 2nd gen F-body was somewhat of a glaring omission from previous installments, in my opinion). And now I'm just hoping that they can somehow, some way get a hold of some Porsches for DLC. Not that its likely going to make the list, but an '04 C4S would be the car I most want to see.

Last edited:
Well, I did get some time with GT6 last night...really enjoy playing from the seat as it pretty much addresses all of the issues I ever experienced while playing with wheel/pedals from the sofa.

The driving feels great...as I expected it would...though the real test will come next time I play since most of yesterday was spent in the initial Fit. I quickly grabbed golds on the first couple of events and license challenges (only earned a bronze on the first coffee break).

I enjoyed the Andretti's Hudson challenge in the seasonal events because it takes place on Streets of Willow, a course I've driven in real-life. GT6's version of it looks very accurate. Earning silver nabbed me the Hudson and 500,000 credits or so...more than enough to buy a few good cars. Of course, my first purchase was a '91 NSX...perhaps not the most strategic purchase I have ever made playing the GT series, but I would rather make the NSX my first purchase than the BMW M4 coupe (which strangely was marked as recommended car at this early stage of the game).

So far I'm liking it, but the shadows are killing me. Horribly low res with some really odd artifacts. The exposure was a bit on the dark side so I bumped it up a stop (which makes the first straight in the Hudson challenge blinding).

I'm also a bit upset that, once again, Polyphony elected to not use their awesome premium NSX model to represent all models of NSXs. Many (like the '97 Acura NSX) are still an evolution of the standard model for no discernible reason. Speaking of the '97 NSX, they put the '91's 5-spoke rims on it too!

Last edited:
Of course, my first purchase was a '91 NSX...perhaps not the most strategic purchase I have ever made playing the GT series...

I'm also a bit upset that, once again, Polyphony elected to not use their awesome premium NSX model to represent all models of NSXs. Many (like the '97 Acura NSX) are still an evolution of the standard model for no discernible reason. Speaking of the '97 NSX, they put the '91's 5-spoke rims on it too!

This right here echoes so many of my gripes...

Any car I buy should have the potential to make as much horsepower (given enough money, of course).

Back