• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gross Polluter... EXtreamly high HC

Numbers speak for themselves, some one please help? car was struck in the rear left, was in shop for a bout 6 months. now it wont pass smog, I am located in ca

15 mph 1558rpm
co2% 8.3
o2% 6.9
HC 8790 (not a typo)
co% 3.58
no 1259

25mph @ 2494
co2% 11.2
o2% 3.8
HC 3821
co% 1.83
no 892

Those are high numbers...Maybe the cats aren't doing the job.

There are many threads dealing with just this topic, but off the top of my head: Was the car warmed up before the test?

I mean really warmed up?

That looks like the car wasn't warmed up yet(still running in open loop). If it was warmed up, I would change out your O2 sensors and change your oil(if it was running rich for a long time the oil will be contaminated with fuel) before getting it tested again. Another possibility is that you have a bad coolant temperature sensor or your thermostat is stuck open which is preventing the engine from reaching proper operating temperature.

Last edited:
co2 if way too low. -> exhaust system. Any reputable shop should be able to solve this.

FYI, the 15mph test can be done in first gear. Based on the rpm, the 15mph was done in second gear.

What is the difference between testing on 1st rather than on 2nd?
Also based on m findings on prime, can any one tell me why tcs should be turned off during the test? and is this a common knowledge for the techs?

What is the difference between testing on 1st rather than on 2nd?
Also based on m findings on prime, can any one tell me why tcs should be turned off during the test? and is this a common knowledge for the techs?

First gear will run at a higher rpm and be cleaner than second. Also, the tech will know not to have tcs on because the car won't spin the rollers correctly with it on.

I'm with goldNSX on this one, a reputable shop should be able to handle this. BTW, have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Back