• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Gullwing NSX Concept

The next NSX needs to have Gullwing Doors!

There...I said it...somebody had to.

I think some of the details look nice on the HSC but I dont like the overall form. It looks awkward from the most important viewpoint, the front quarter.

I really dislike the Lexus LF-A's nose.

That said I started sketching up some shapes in 3-D using CATIA V5 software. Here is the first pass just to get the overall body flow working. The details such as lights, grills, scoops, exhaust are all just placeholders till I get the body shape working right. It is a lot harder than one thinks to get something that looks good from a lot of angles.

Gullwing doors would set it apart from everything else being offered. Also the thing should be set up for the track from the factory with Harness mount points already integrated into the structure and a fully functional rear wing out of the boundary layer so it has a chance to be effective. Also it needs an integrated undertray diffuser system from day one because that stuff cannot be bolted on and maintain the right downforce distribution. There have been enough discussions about power so I won't dwell on the fact that we are getting stomped by the Vettes on the road course. Sweet handling alone cannot compete with a 500hp Z06.

We can dream...

Attachments

• Car-animation2-120WTITLED.gif
    Car-animation2-120WTITLED.gif
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,464
  • Car-animation1-160W-paused.gif
    Car-animation1-160W-paused.gif
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,363
  • CAR9BSMALL.jpg
    CAR9BSMALL.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,328
  • C0004SMALL.jpg
    C0004SMALL.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,320
  • C0027SMALL.jpg
    C0027SMALL.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,300
Last edited:
I still don't believe there will be a next NSX. This one is ending with 2005 and then that's it. I'd like to see it continue with a new car but don't think it will.

Oh, and that is a nice C7 concept. :smile:

NSgallardovette. :rolleyes:

Cool 3-Deeing though!
I thought wings were for airplanes.

loNfastNSX said:
Nice!

I like the front alot, but the rear end looks like a cross between a F360 and a Vette. Overall it ooks good though. Now give us a picture with the Gullwing doors opened!!! That will be interesting to see. :biggrin:

Here is a peek at it with the doors opened. I don't have an interior done yet or door panels but you can get an idea.

Attachments

• gullsopen3-600w.jpg
    gullsopen3-600w.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,128
  • gullsopen1-600w.jpg
    gullsopen1-600w.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,151
  • gullsopen2-600w.jpg
    gullsopen2-600w.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,149
Juice said:
I can't imagine how hard it is to work with that program, but that is the flattest car ever.

Thanks! There are too many tall and narrow soap bars on the road so low and flat is my goal. :biggrin:

Looks pretty good except for the scoops and rear. The B-pillar is good but i would like it more if it was pointing forward. For the rear, i would add a bumper that sticks out and not flush with the taillights.

ADNOH said:
Looks pretty good except for the scoops and rear. The B-pillar is good but i would like it more if it was pointing forward. For the rear, i would add a bumper that sticks out and not flush with the taillights.

Thanks to all for the feedback keep it coming, because it will take 4 or 5 iterations before I am happy with it. It just takes a lot of time I dont have.

I knew I would catch it for the placeholders (scoops, bumpers etc.) but I could not release the blank form because it does not look finished. There just is not any point putting a lot of time into the details until the entire outside shape is finalized because you have to redo it all anyway. The scoops will transition the length of the door like the current model and the rear will have less blank acreage when I figure out where I want to go with it. I am not a car designer by trade, I design jet engines and airplanes for a living so this is just an exercise for fun.

I will keep bouncing ideas off the forum as the design evolves because this forum is of course the most discriminating set of eyes one could hope for.

-Frank

I would not be interested in gull wings, but I think people are being a bit too hard on the concepts you made. I would be pretty proud if made some pics like that and put that much thought into it. Keep up your concept, the entire HSC/Next NSX talk is 99% speculation anyway! We can all have our dreams and hopes, but only Honda knows what is next.

Get rid of the boyracer, rice wing. No credible car has that. Gullwings might be a bit impractical in parking lots. Rather have the Lambo switchblades.

Get rid of the boyracer, rice wing. No credible car has that

Yeah super-gt cars aren't credible either. Damn those functional wings, damn them to hell. That goes the same for all the rally cars too! Damn ricers :rolleyes:

liftshard said:
Get rid of the boyracer, rice wing. No credible car has that. Gullwings might be a bit impractical in parking lots. Rather have the Lambo switchblades.

The Lambo doors are cool, no denial, but the opening is the same as a conventional door (unless it is not executed well and the door covers part of the opening like some of the conversion kits). The idea behind the gullwing is that part of the roof is now open to the side so getting in and out is similar to that of a targa, so you can make the car even lower and wider than normal and still be a tall driver (which I am not). See also the GT40 for a little of the same idea. My goal is to have the car down to around 42 inches high, the reason of course is to lower the center of gravity. Also a gull wings opening width is a function of how close to the center you hinge it, it will take up less width in a parking lot than the normal doors the NSX has now.

I agree a big wing looks silly on a Civic struggling to keep up on the highway but for those of us who see 130 mph on the track it makes a lot of sense. Look at F1, they corner at multiple Gs because of the downforce. If you have power to spare (Please Honda) you can afford the drag penalty and trade for a higher cornering limit. It makes no sense to make a street car go more than 200 mph so instead, set a reasonable top end, a respectable lb/hp ratio and make it stick in the corners with wings and ground effects.

Honda F1 Racing said:
So a McLaren F1 GTR is not a credible car? Have you seen the wing on that thing? :rolleyes:

Those are freaking race cars, not road cars. Give me a break.

The Lambo doors are cool, no denial, but the opening is the same as a conventional door (unless it is not executed well and the door covers part of the opening like some of the conversion kits). The idea behind the gullwing is that part of the roof is now open to the side so getting in and out is similar to that of a targa, so you can make the car even lower and wider than normal and still be a tall driver (which I am not). See also the GT40 for a little of the same idea. My goal is to have the car down to around 42 inches high, the reason of course is to lower the center of gravity. Also a gull wings opening width is a function of how close to the center you hinge it, it will take up less width in a parking lot than the normal doors the NSX has now.

I agree a big wing looks silly on a Civic struggling to keep up on the highway but for those of us who see 130 mph on the track it makes a lot of sense. Look at F1, they corner at multiple Gs because of the downforce. If you have power to spare (Please Honda) you can afford the drag penalty and trade for a higher cornering limit. It makes no sense to make a street car go more than 200 mph so instead, set a reasonable top end, a respectable lb/hp ratio and make it stick in the corners with

Wings are ugly. On road cars, they look rather foolish. For road cars, form leads function. Focus on aesthetics. Otherwise, why have doors at all? Climb in the window like a NASCAR.

Hey All

I am enjoying the model you guys are designing. The one thing I think that would make a newer NSX stand out would be the integration of the Air intake on the Roof of the car. Something like the S7. I think that really makes the car look racey. I was also watching a Supercar show and they were making a comment that Super cars have to have at least 54 gills or intake fins. That is why the S7 has 64. LOL. I am not sure if that is true.

Not sure about the Gullwing doors. I would not have a problem with a Lambo style door.

Do beleive the car has to sharp of a corner lines. Like the front and hood to fenders. I might suggest losing the front side scopes. Not sure what functionallity they will play if it is still a mid engine car. The front some what reminds me of the new little Cadallic

I am totally with you on the integraded diffsuer and harness mounting points.

I think you have a good start with car. I think the sharp corners need some softing. Make it less like a Cadallic

liftshard said:
Those are freaking race cars, not road cars. Give me a break.
Wings are ugly. On road cars, they look rather foolish. For road cars, form leads function. Focus on aesthetics. Otherwise, why have doors at all? Climb in the window like a NASCAR.

Then just drive a beetle with a body kit.

For me it is always form follows function as I enjoy the drive as much as the look. Too each his/her own.

Diveboy said:
Hey All

I am enjoying the model you guys are designing. The one thing I think that would make a newer NSX stand out would be the integration of the Air intake on the Roof of the car. Something like the S7. I think that really makes the car look racey. I was also watching a Supercar show and they were making a comment that Super cars have to have at least 54 gills or intake fins. That is why the S7 has 64. LOL. I am not sure if that is true.

Not sure about the Gullwing doors. I would not have a problem with a Lambo style door.

Do beleive the car has to sharp of a corner lines. Like the front and hood to fenders. I might suggest losing the front side scopes. Not sure what functionallity they will play if it is still a mid engine car. The front some what reminds me of the new little Cadallic

I am totally with you on the integraded diffsuer and harness mounting points.

I think you have a good start with car. I think the sharp corners need some softing. Make it less like a Cadallic
I like a roof scoop myself and have considered it, the problem is if you take a direct path from the scoop to the engine intake, you block all the rear view, but hey closed circuit rear video screen could make up for that, I was already figuring that in for the side mirrors so why not? For a roof intake to be effective you have to have it protrode quite a bit from the body since you are in a low pressure zone of the car and need to get it high enough to recover total pressure, that is why the F1 scoops are vertical not horizontal. NACA type ducts in that position would not work at all, they would be trying to suck air out of the engine.

Last edited:
What happens on a gull-wing door car when it's raining or wet and you open the doors? Lap full of water?

As for the wing, I'd lose it soonest but that's just me.

The back end of the car is too high and square. Need to be able to look out the rear view and actually have a useful view. Not a wing and rear deck-lid, but to see actual cars that are behind.

Back