• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

H20 pump and belts

Is it normal for the water pump to fail at 25,000 miles on a '94. I just got the bad news and I'm replacing it and all the belts. Is there any other significant service that I should do while the engine is out of the car, like plugs?

TIA.

Is there any other significant service that I should do while the engine is out of the car, like plugs?

Yes, replace the timing belt, absolutely. Based on years, it's due anyway (or will be shortly), and the labor is almost the same stuff as doing the water pump.

You might want to consider replacing some of the coolant hoses as a preventive, too.

Timing belt due at 25k miles!?

I'm doing my timing belts very soon and my 91 has 97k miles on it.... no record of having it done by previous owners...

never heard of having to change the timing belt anywhere before 80K or more...

According to the maintenance schedule, the timing belt should be replaced every 90K miles OR SIX YEARS, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

Guess you didn't read the part where I said "based on years", huh?
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 March 2001).]

Originally posted by Electro:
Timing belt due at 25k miles!?

Actually, the belt is good but the water pump has gone bad. So while the engine is out I might as well replace the belts too. It costs no more in labor to do both at once. Also, at seven yrs old and considering that I won't hit 60k for at least four more years, I will sleep better at night knowing that I have a fresh belt. T costs average out over time, and it is cheaper than needing a new engine.

NSXTASY, good idea about replacing the hoses. Since they have to do a coolant flush, I might as well change the oil cooler and radiator hoses. Thanks for the advice.

nsxotic is correct - you do not need to drop the engine to replace the timing belt / water pump. You just need nimble fingers.

I am curious exactly what is wrong with the water pump? They seem to fail very rarely. Is it just leaking? If it seized it would probably tear up your timing belt (which can in turn tear up your engine!) so I'm guessing that is not what happened.

You should certainly go ahead and replace the timing belt and all accessory belts while you are doing the water pump because the parts costs are very low compared to the labor.

You probably don't need spark plugs. There is a bit of labor overlap for the valve adjustment and you're coming up on 30k miles so it might be worth considering having that done at the same time to save a few bucks.

Thanks Lud.

I've called three dealers and they all have said that they charge 7 hours labor because they have to drop the engine to replace the belt and pump. When I changed the oil last week I noticed that there was coolant all over the oil filter, so I brought it in to be looked at and was told that the water pump was leaking. Why this happened at only 25k I don't know.

Also, I just did the 15k service at 20k last month and that included a valve adjustment, so I'm probably up to date for at least another 30k with my maintanence.

Thanks for your assistance.

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
Thanks Lud.

I've called three dealers and they all have said that they charge 7 hours labor because they have to drop the engine to replace the belt and pump.

Wow! I’d like to hear how this turns out. 7 hours to drop the engine and put it back in is pretty good. BTW, the engine does not need to come out to replace the water pump and timing belt (I’ve done it before). But, it may be easier when all said in done, especially if the shop is experienced with dropping the engine. It’s a good idea to replace the t-belt anyway because it is auto-tensioned during install and it is designed to tension a new belt. $115 (from Tracy) for a new belt is piece of mind if nothing else—as a belt failure is not good $$. If they actually pull your engine, the can look at the engine mounts to make sure they’re OK and as Ken suggested you can replace your water hoses…maybe spool valve seals too???

DanO
eek.gif

Well, I had the belts and H20 pump replaced by an independent technician without the need to drop the engine. If it hadn't been for the advice given through this forum, I would have most definitely wasted a lot of money. The entire job to replace the three belts, tensioner, and H20 pump cost me about $1,000.

FWIW, the belts appeared to have no signs of wear or failure after 7 years with 25k miles. This should not be taken as an indication as to how other belts may wear over time. I am a firm believer of preventative maintanence.

Also, I must give MCA Motorsports in Miami a plug. Mike is a great technician and he now has a loyal customer. I was more than satisfied with his work.

Back