• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hamp Synergy Oil Filters

i have used them along with Castrol Syntec full synthetic oil for pretty much the whole life of my car (04 RSX Type-S) along with a magnetic drain plug and drive very spiritedly for 50,000 miles and no problems, doesn't burn a drop of oil even with a raised redline of 8800!!!

a magnetic drain plug

Those must come in real handy for aluminum engines.

By the way I still can't find my oil filter. Damn! My car has 193,600 miles on it. I'd better find it soon. According to you guys it should have been replace about 186,100 miles ago. Maybe I should check my oil too. Does the NSX have a dipstick?

Signs of no oil in the oil pan, no oil pressure, oil draining from engine can be signs of a failed oil filter.

I don't think I'm leaking oil. But whenever I park the car after a long drive on a hot day there is this very pretty green puddle under the car. For some reason all the dogs in the neighborhood lap it right up. It must be tasty for them.

Those must come in real handy for aluminum engines.

By the way I still can't find my oil filter. Damn! My car has 193,600 miles on it. I'd better find it soon. According to you guys it should have been replace about 186,100 miles ago. Maybe I should check my oil too. Does the NSX have a dipstick?

then would you please be so kind as to explain why there are metal shavings and filings adhered to the drain plug when i remove it during an oil change.

I don't think I'm leaking oil. But whenever I park the car after a long drive on a hot day there is this very pretty green puddle under the car. For some reason all the dogs in the neighborhood lap it right up. It must be tasty for them.

That would be.. antifreeze. Very tasty, try it out. :rolleyes:
It's what the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles drank to become who they are.. :biggrin:

.....For some reason all the dogs in the neighborhood lap it right up. It must be tasty for them.

Unless you are using the "tree-hugger" coolant the dogs' liver will make an enzyme that will destroy their kidneys.

Complete kidney failure will give them 24hrs~ to live.

There is an antidote, but it does have a finite window of opportunity for it to be administered......

then would you please be so kind as to explain why there are metal shavings and filings adhered to the drain plug when i remove it during an oil change.

Your oil filter sucks, your engine is slowly disintegrating because you're not using Amsoil or perhaps a combination of the two? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Hello, great thread and research gentleman,
i was wondering if anyone knew for certain if the JDM NSX oil filter has a different thread pattern/ direction??
The reason I'm asking, is because I recently imported a 1991 JDM Honda NSX through JDM Expo, and am having my local shop do a check through of the car. The mechanic there said they found one little bit of reseach that claimed, there was a different thread on the JDM oil pan, and to be careful of stripping if the incorrect oil filter was attached. I know you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, but it was enough to make me want to double check.
Sssoooo does anyone here have any experience/knowledge about oil filter threads for the JDM NSX and whether or not there is any need for concern regarding the threading directions?
thanks a ton!!

I don't have first hand experience in buying oil filters for the Acura, however I do own a JDM nsx and ive used oil filters from various different cars, NSX, rover 827, basically anything with a C series engine.

I doubt that, as this is the case, it would be any different from what you chaps got in the USA.

Okay, yes I might have remembered incorrectly what was said.
To the best of my recollection it was described that....... with the JDM NSX, the threads in the oil filter itself, could strip the threads on the car-side when applied or removed...
This could all be a false alarm, and the JDM and USDMs threads could be exactly the same. So that is the main reason I asked, just to see if it is a real issue, or not a concern.

Thanks Hkz286,
It sounds like the C series Honda engine is the same whether it's put in a JDM or USDM car. Which is what I would think makes the most sense. Do you have any experience using the Hamp oil filters and/or those part numbers? Also, is your JDM NSX a C30A motor? I believe that is what is in my 1991 JDM NSX.

You don't need to use hamp filters for your nsx. Just get the denso or similar one and you'll be set.

JDM/USDM are almost exactly the same. There is going to be small differences but overall things like the drain plug and oil filter are interchangeable.

Thanks Hkz286,
It sounds like the C series Honda engine is the same whether it's put in a JDM or USDM car. Which is what I would think makes the most sense. Do you have any experience using the Hamp oil filters and/or those part numbers? Also, is your JDM NSX a C30A motor? I believe that is what is in my 1991 JDM NSX.

yup its a c30a motor :) and you are right, that's what will be fitted to your car :)

I don't have any direct experience with HAMP filters, as I'm in Europe, there are lots of high quality manufacturers of oil filters about so I tend to use those (MAHLE etc) but as is said previously you don't have to use HAMP filters (although they are good so there is no reason not to use them).

Back