• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

He is dead and I am glad

Washington sniper is put to death
sniper.jpg

Recent undated jail photo of John Allen Muhammad
Skilled marksman Muhammad picked off victims with a high-powered rifle

The man behind the 2002 sniper attacks in and around Washington DC has been executed after a last-ditch appeal was thrown out.

John Allen Muhammad's lawyers say he was mentally ill, but Virginia Governor Tim Kaine rejected a plea for clemency.

On Monday, the US Supreme Court quashed an appeal for a stay of execution.

Muhammad, 48, was injected with a lethal drug for the murder of Dean Harold Meyers, one of 10 people killed during the attacks.

Muhammad's accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo, who was 17 at the time of the shootings, is serving a life sentence in jail.

A psychiatrist examined him and said he's paranoid and psychotic and delusional Jonathan Sheldon Lawyer

Timeline: Sniper killings

Motive remains a mystery

The pair killed 10 people during three weeks of attacks in Maryland, Washington and Virginia.

Muhammad was put to death at the Greensville Correctional Center in Jarratt, Virginia.

The procedure took five minutes, and Muhammad died at 2111 (0211 GMT), Larry Traylor of the Virginia Department of Corrections said.

Muhammad did not give a statement before it began, and seemed quiet and relaxed, Mr Traylor said.

He said he was motionless, with his head slightly tilted to the right as the drug was injected.

His lawyer said that he had eaten chicken in red sauce, followed by strawberry cakes, for his final meal.

Before the execution J Wyndal Gordon, the state attorney appointed to represent Muhammad, said that he would die "with his head held high and no remorse, maintaining his innocence".

He was, said his lawyer, "a martyr for everything that's wrong with the death penalty".

Muhammad's legal team says the ex-soldier suffered from Gulf War syndrome.

Lawyer Jonathan Sheldon told the BBC's World Today: "A psychiatrist examined him and said he's paranoid and psychotic and delusional and gave many examples."

Mr Sheldon also said brain scans of Muhammad had revealed malformations linked to schizophrenia.

The shootings left the Washington area gripped by fear, with victims attacked while shopping, outside schools, or just sitting and reading.

Mr Meyers was shot at a petrol station in Manassas, Virginia.

A skilled marksman, Muhammad picked off his targets using a sniper rifle, always with a single round and from a distance.

After three weeks, he was arrested at a truck stop, along with Malvo.

Seven years on, Washington residents recall sense of fear while sniper was on the loose

Prosecutors say Muhammad has never shown remorse.

In addition to the 10 people they killed around the Washington area, the pair are suspected of murders in other states, including Louisiana, Alabama and Arizona.

Cheryll Witz was one of several victims' relatives who went to watch Muhammad's execution.

Malvo said he shot her father, Jerry Taylor - at Muhammad's direction - on an Arizona golf course in March 2002.

"He basically watched my dad breathe his last breath," she told the Associated Press news agency.

"Why shouldn't I watch his last breath?"

THE SNIPER SHOOTINGS
snipermap.gif

Map showing the Washington sniper shootings

1 and 2. A shot fired in Aspen Hill, north of Washington DC on 2 October. James D Martin is later killed in Wheaton
3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. The following day, James "Sonny" Buchanan, Prenkumar Walekar, Sarah Ramos, Lori Ann Lewis-Rivera and Pascal Charlot are all shot dead in areas to the north of the city
8. On 4 October a woman is shot at a mall in Fredericksburg, Virginia
9. On 7 October a 13-year-old schoolboy is shot at Benjamin Tasker Middle School in Prince George County
10 and 11. Dean Harold Meyers is shot dead in Manassas, Virginia on 9 October. Two days later, Kenneth H Bridges is killed near Fredericksburg
12. Linda Franklin is shot dead at a shopping centre in northern Virginia on 14 October
13. A 37-year-old man is shot in Ashland, south of Washington on 19 October
14. Conrad Johnson is killed on 22 October in the Aspen Hill area

This piece of trash had it easy. One simple potassium shot is no match to all the pain and suffering he caused. My family was staying with a friend's at the time in Manassas. Should have sent him to a firing squad with blindfolded shooter.
Steve

My vote was to send him down a steep slide with random razorblades with a pool of rubbing alcohol at the bottom. After that, peel off each fingernail one at a time with a pair of pliers - then finish him off by a firing squad a day later.

Mapmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
catch me a catch

sacrificial virginians

shootingmap2.jpg

The peace sign is a symbol of Emporer Nero, known for burning the capital.

TDK_TRL3_med_9.jpg

Soooo how much tax payer money was wasted keeping this tool alive all these years? Should have off'd him years ago. Same with all the repeat criminals. Waste of money keeping these losers alive in jail. Life sentence? Please. They still get food, shelter, medical, all paid for by the tax payer. Yes I'll agree it's not the best, but we still pay for it. I for one am sick of paying for it.

Soooo how much tax payer money was wasted keeping this tool alive all these years? Should have off'd him years ago. Same with all the repeat criminals. Waste of money keeping these losers alive in jail. Life sentence? Please. They still get food, shelter, medical, all paid for by the tax payer. Yes I'll agree it's not the best, but we still pay for it. I for one am sick of paying for it.

I agree with you. This guy should have been toast the minute they caught him. No reason to keep anyone like that around.

Best post yet.

Did you read the case on this guy? After he was sentenced to death (and like 50 life terms) they still proceeded to cart him to other cities to try him at those places. That's serious money and time for a whole major new state procecuted case. Finally a few cities decided to postpone. I'd gladly cough up some cash to procecute this guy though.

(btw i got stuck in traffic where i used to live as it was the day he was tried in va beach and that road was my way to work, soooooo many news trucks and cop cars)

It's obscene. How much of an average american's life does he/she spend working to keep criminals sustained? With extremely rough math my guess is if you make 26-36k a year, you spend at least 3-5 years of your working life feeding, clothing, entertaining, and protecting criminals. Probably one year goes entirely for defending them. I think anyone who serves more than a 10 year sentence should be forced to do some sort of work while in prison to help cover his costs. The prison system is every expensive these days due to the many prison guards, health professionals, management, energy costs, etc. they have to cover 365 days a year.

Step 1: All marijuana crimes are no longer sent to jail longer than a DWI. That or legalize it. I think 1 out of 8 is now out of the system and presumable paying taxes thanks to this idea (or at least half of them aren't on welfare you'd hope).

Step 2: Transform 25-33% of government jobs to online services that prisoners can do while in prison. If they do good, give them a cookie. If they do bad, they can dig ditches with tooth picks. If they "earn" 120k for the state over their sentence, they get 5% of that upon leaving in some sort of bond so they can't blow it. Now they have money to live off of for a while and won't be forced immediately back into the streets/crime. In addition, their attitude will be completely transformed. Most that leave prison are so filled with disgust and hate they can barely function. Tell them thanks and a "you aren't worthless, really, here's a couple grand to prove it" so they don't feel like out casts.
Step 3: Real sloppy cases with DNA evidence, guilty plea, etc. gets a 3 month appeal time before execution time. None of this bull $hit I've been in death row for 24 years.

Last edited:
Transform 25-33% of government jobs to online services that prisoners can do while in prison. If they do good, give them a cookie. If they do bad, they can dig ditches with tooth picks. If they "earn" 120k for the state over their sentence, they get 5% of that upon leaving in some sort of bond so they can't blow it. Now they have money to live off of for a while and won't be forced immediately back into the streets/crime. In addition, their attitude will be completely transformed. Most that leave prison are so filled with disgust and hate they can barely function. Tell them thanks and a "you aren't worthless, really, here's a couple grand to prove it" so they don't feel like out casts.
Step 3: Real sloppy cases with DNA evidence, guilty plea, etc. gets a 3 month appeal time before execution time. None of this bull $hit I've been in death row for 24 years.

Great idea. Would never get past the government union, but a great idea never the less. I believe the California State Prison at Camarillo, near Ventura uses female inmates as part of a call center for airline reservations.

It's obscene. How much of an average american's life does he/she spend working to keep criminals sustained? With extremely rough math my guess is if you make 26-36k a year, you spend at least 3-5 years of your working life feeding, clothing, entertaining, and protecting criminals. Probably one year goes entirely for defending them. I think anyone who serves more than a 10 year sentence should be forced to do some sort of work while in prison to help cover his costs. The prison system is every expensive these days due to the many prison guards, health professionals, management, energy costs, etc. they have to cover 365 days a year.

Step 1: All marijuana crimes are no longer sent to jail longer than a DWI. That or legalize it. I think 1 out of 8 is now out of the system and presumable paying taxes thanks to this idea (or at least half of them aren't on welfare you'd hope).

Step 2: Transform 25-33% of government jobs to online services that prisoners can do while in prison. If they do good, give them a cookie. If they do bad, they can dig ditches with tooth picks. If they "earn" 120k for the state over their sentence, they get 5% of that upon leaving in some sort of bond so they can't blow it. Now they have money to live off of for a while and won't be forced immediately back into the streets/crime. In addition, their attitude will be completely transformed. Most that leave prison are so filled with disgust and hate they can barely function. Tell them thanks and a "you aren't worthless, really, here's a couple grand to prove it" so they don't feel like out casts.

Sahtt for President. I dont care whether he's Democrat, Republican, Independent or plain Texan, I'd be voting for this guy :)

Back