• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

heat cycling? important or no?

guys i'm buying the khumo v710 racing tires. Is heat cycling a must? discount doesn't offer it, and i usually use them for my purchases.

gerry

Here's what TireRack says:
TireRack said:
Care and Feeding of the Kumho Ecsta V710
Tire Break-In

The Ecsta V710 does require break-in. New tires will be slippery for their first laps, and will begin to feel better as they get scuffed in and build up heat. We recommend that drivers heat cycle their tires 3-5 laps before using them in competition. Heat cycling helps you get the most consistent performance and tread life out of your tires. It is the process of gently bringing the tires up to temperature for a short duration and letting them cool. Ideally, you should break in your tires, remove them from your vehicle, and set them aside for more than 24 hours before your track sessions and races. Often this requires running a practice session on new tires to prepare them for a future race, while you use tires prepared previously for the current race. The Tire Rack offers an automated heat cycling service which can complete this process before your tires are delivered to you.

More info here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=155

Are you using them for competition? If not, you could just heat cycle them early on a track day.

Last edited:
Here's what TireRack says:

More info here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=155

Are you using them for competition? If not, you could just heat cycle them early on a track day.

+1.

My track tires when they are heat cycled by TireRack last longer than when I do them. And besides them doing it on rollers with consistency, the key is: An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.

unless you intend to race them outa the box then no.Another point with dot R compounds is shaving...you should shave them to be more consistant and to actualy last longer....how much depends on how many mm of tread they start with.

I was going to use them for my de4 events. I don't want the down time of only doing a couple laps then having to swap the tires during my 20min session.

I was going to use them for my de4 events. I don't want the down time of only doing a couple laps then having to swap the tires during my 20min session.

honestly with the RA1 I'm used to, I'm not sure that heat cycling from the dealer was crucial.During any day of hpde the tires will peak and trough,you just have to adjust your driving style depending on grip.I have no experience with the kuhmo.

Back