• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help - Are My Amps/Speakers Fried

The sound volume from my stock center speaker and subwoofer is very low compared to the door speakers. In fact, the subwoofer is only audible if the bass is turned all the way up. The center speaker sounds muted and appears to only have about 1/3 the output of the door speakers. Is this normal or is it a sign that the amp powering those speakers has gone, or is going, out? Or is there possibly an output problem with the head unit?

The stereo is a stock unit from a '91 NSX. I "discovered" the low sound volume after the amp for the right-hand side speaker assembly went out. I pulled that speaker assembly today to have the amp rebuilt. Without the right-hand side door speaker hooked up, it became apparent that 90% of the output from the stereo is now coming from the left-hand side door speaker and that the center speaker/subwoofer are barely audible.

Just wondering if I should pull the amp for the subwoofer/center speaker and have it rebuilt as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

had the same problems on my 91. I believe you will need three new amp. check FAQ, I sourced mine from Daryl. He sold me new ones and solved the problem. You do not need new speakers but if you want, you can upgrade and no need to use Bose. I kept mine standard and now it is ok. It is just old age .

Originally posted by RACRESQ:
The sound volume from my stock center speaker and subwoofer is very low compared to the door speakers. In fact, the subwoofer is only audible if the bass is turned all the way up. The center speaker sounds muted and appears to only have about 1/3 the output of the door speakers. Is this normal or is it a sign that the amp powering those speakers has gone, or is going, out? Or is there possibly an output problem with the head unit?

Unless the sound you're getting is unusually 'tinny' your sub/center amp is probably still ok. The center channel is supposed to be softer, and if you can hear a difference when you adjust the bass then the subwoofer is still getting power.

My sub/center amp was the first to go, and there was a noticable difference in the quality of the sound when it failed.

If/when the amps do fail, I second the recommendation for Daryl. Good guy.

Back