• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help me find a mechanic please (for Porsche)

Guys I'm kinda desperate as no one on rennlist has been of any help. My sister is in the SF/Bay area and needs a Porsche mechanic. Does anyone know of one in the area? I know not NSX related but thought maybe someone can help me.

Thanks

Guys I'm kinda desperate as no one on rennlist has been of any help. My sister is in the SF/Bay area and needs a Porsche mechanic. Does anyone know of one in the area? I know not NSX related but thought maybe someone can help me.

Thanks

Can you narrow down which part of the Bay Area she lives in and what level of expertise in a mechanic are you searching for?

PM steve aka whitensx.

I always used Heyer Performance in Mountain View. The guy is really good....used to race 944s and is honest.

I have also used Jimmy from Porsche Mobile Works. He will come to your location and work on your car. A few years back when I was using him I thought his rates were reasonable.

Can you narrow down which part of the Bay Area she lives in and what level of expertise in a mechanic are you searching for?

She lives in Tiburon.

Thanks for the references guys.

If she has an AIR COOLED Porsche...

Allen Klingen
The Stable
San Francisco
(415) 776-2707

Simply the best (air cooled) Porsche shop in Northern California.

FYI the Porsche dealer Sonnen is in Tuburon/Mill Valley.

Last edited:
If she has an AIR COOLED Porsche...

Allen Klingen
The Stable
San Francisco
(415) 776-2707

I wouldnt recommend The Stable. Very expensive. I used them a few times and the last time, I had to bring my porsche back 4 times cuz they couldnt get it to run correctly. His mechanics are all young guys and get on the job training sometimes.

I ended up going back to my old friend Albert at AVR. Albert kinda looks like that sargeant Schultz in the old TV series Hogan's Heroes.

The owner at The Stable used to work for Albert a long time ago.

Last edited:
AVR is excellent, The Stable is better.

SHARKWERKS (Fremont)...they are big time tuners. They installed my Stage2 kit on my 996TT a few years ago. A bit expensive, but worth it!

AVR is excellent, The Stable is better.

I'm not recommending AVR for all Porsche repairs. Albert is pretty much semi-retired now and just advises. But if you have an older Porsche, the air cooled ones, then Albert will still work on them. I've been taking my Porsche to Albert for close to 17 years.

If you have a newer Porsche, then The Stable should be fine for you. I recall a reputable Porsche mechanic in San Rafael but the name currently eludes me.

Last edited:
I highly recommend these two:

Autopoint in Port Richmond
Owner- Art Butradee
(510) 232-0000
http://autopointmotors.com/index.html
(rebuilds and services all the NASA 944 Spec cars and did an engine swap for me for my race car. Honest, great work and very low priced.)

Don's Autowerks in Campbell
Owner- Don Wise
408-871-9108
http://www.donsautowerks.com
(Don's team works on air and water cooled and has rebuilt a 944 engine for me. Very good work and has lots of race experience.)

Good luck.

What year/model Porsche does she have? There's S-Car-Go in San Rafael.... most of the suggestions above (including mine) are quite far from Tiburon except Sonnen (the dealer which is just a mile or two from her).

Guys I'm sorry if I was not clear. She has a Cayenne just out of warranty and just wants maintenance. No performance stuff. She has an issue with wheel bearings now and a couple of other things. There is no air cooled vintage 911 that needs performance parts here. She used to go to Sonnen but the dealer is a little pricey. She had her brakes and tires done to the tune of $4700. I yelled at her for it and she said "OK tell me where to go".

Last edited:
Guys I'm sorry if I was not clear. She has a Cayenne just out of warranty and just wants maintenance. No performance stuff. She has an issue with wheel bearings now and a couple of other things. There is no air cooled vintage 911 that needs performance parts here. She used to go to Sonnen but the dealer is a little pricey. She had her brakes and tires done to the tune of $4700. I yelled at her for it and she said "OK tell me where to go".

Wowee!

My cousin owns Cayenne S. I'll ask him where he takes his Cay.

She lives in Tiburon.

Thanks for the references guys.

I take all of my cars to Marin Auto Works at the corner of Miller and La Goma, diagonally across the intersection from the infamous 2am Club in Mill Valley. The owners, Pierre and Marcel are as honest as anyone, and they do good jobs. If she works in the city, she could easily hop on the express bus right in front of the shop.

I take all of my cars to Marin Auto Works at the corner of Miller and La Goma, diagonally across the intersection from the infamous 2am Club in Mill Valley. The owners, Pierre and Marcel are as honest as anyone, and they do good jobs. If she works in the city, she could easily hop on the express bus right in front of the shop.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Marcel is an NSXer. You see NSXes being serviced there from time to time. His dad, Pierre owns a 300SL gull wing... Yep, a real deal.

Back