• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with new tire suggestions.

I've gone through the wiki archive on tires and it's not really useful any more. OEM tires don't exist and the replacements listed aren't sold anymore - except in two cases, the Kumho and the Sumitomo - assuming you stay with the specified size.

I've a 2002 which I don't track. I bought it new, it is totally stock. I've 35K on the car and I drive it 3-4 times per week. I push it once and awhile and like tires that stick, but probably like something that lasts more than 5K miles even better than sticky.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

Steve

I recommend the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, which is indeed in the "max performance" category. It should last longer than the supersticky "extreme performance" tires (although one owner recently reported somewhat short treadlife, while several others did not), and it's a good performing tire, almost as good as the really sticky ones. And the price is right, too ($96F/$112R plus shipping at the Tire Rack, and that's before the $50 rebate offer).

The spreadsheet is indeed awesome. I'm unsure what the "treadwear" number refers to, other than it appears that the higher the number the better the tread life. But I'm unsure that is correct. Also, I don't know how to interpret the "section width" column.

I'm still digesting it, but it is full of good info.

Oh, I'm also unsure on Class. What does XPS mean? I figured out that UHPAS means Ultra High Performance All Season. But does that mean that UHPS means Ultra High Performance Season? And if so, which season, winter or summer?

Last edited:
UHPS is ultra-HP summer; XPS = extreme perf. summer (the best street tire); MPS = max perf. summer (one step down). They are all taken from TireRack.com

Treadwear rating is supposedly a percentage life compared to the 100-rating. So a 400 would last twice as long as a 200. But I can't remember is that is actually the basis, just how I remember it. And I'm sure it's more of a guideline than a hard fact but I believe it is a government standard. Reading on TireRack will teach you a lot.

Glad someone found the spreadsheet useful. I'm thinking it would be good to add some additional sizes that are likely to work. Like 265 or 275 rears.

I'm unsure what the "treadwear" number refers to, other than it appears that the higher the number the better the tread life. But I'm unsure that is correct.
Treadwear rating is supposedly a percentage life compared to the 100-rating. So a 400 would last twice as long as a 200. But I can't remember is that is actually the basis, just how I remember it. And I'm sure it's more of a guideline than a hard fact but I believe it is a government standard.
That's correct, and its inclusion and the procedure for calculating it are indeed government standards. However, each tire manufacturer uses one of its tires as a "baseline" tire from which the calculations are made, so the numbers can vary from one make to another. Also, it's really not precise at all; as they say, YMMV (your mileage may vary). I know one manufacturer that changed the rating on one of its tires without any changes whatsoever to the tire itself. As a general rule, though, you'll find that R-compound track tires (typically with treadwear ratings of 100 or less, or none at all) give you fewer miles than extreme performance summer tires (typically 140-200), which give you fewer miles than maximum performance summer tires and ultra-high performance summer tires (both typically 250-350), which give you fewer miles than all-season tires (typically 400-600 or more).

Oh, I'm also unsure on Class. What does XPS mean? I figured out that UHPAS means Ultra High Performance All Season. But does that mean that UHPS means Ultra High Performance Season? And if so, which season, winter or summer?
These are the performance categories as determined by the Tire Rack; you can see the list of categories, along with brief descriptions, on their website here.

Incidentally, I would not recommend any all-season or winter tire on an NSX unless it is regularly driven in snow or below-freezing temperatures. Those types of tires are designed for colder temperatures and performance is compromised in warmer temperatures, compared to summer tires.

Also, I don't know how to interpret the "section width" column.
It's the spec that tells how wide the tire is at its widest (at the "bulge"), when mounted on a specified width of wheel (the "approved rim width"). You can ignore it for purposes of selecting tires. Just go with the nominal tire size (e.g. 215/40-17), in which the width is the width of the tread, not the section width.

Again, for an NSX with stock 2002-2005 wheels, if you're looking for a bit better treadlife than the "extreme performance" tires, I'd get the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, in the stock sizes 215/40-17 and 255/40-17.

Last edited:
I can't thank you enough for all of this help. I've downloaded the spreadsheet to Excel and added some clarifications that will help me - although probably no one else. Thank you for creating it!!!! I'm in Arizona, so I don't need to consider anything but summer tires. Even when it's winter here, it's 70+ degrees.

Right now the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, 215/40R17 and 255/40R17" at $422 are extremely tempting, mostly because at least one person likes them and they're so darn inexpensive! Last time I put tires on the NSX it cost me nearly $1500. I can't believe I might be able to get a very good tire set of tires for less than $500.

I second the Kumhos. I too have a stock '02 that I drive, daily. Just put a new set of four on my car after ~13k miles on the previous set. The reason for replacement was road hazard and the fronts had plenty of tread leftover.

Yeah, I pretty much drive my '02 daily, too. I like to think I take one of my motorcycles on occasion, but truth be told, it is usually the NSX.

Steve

UPDATE - I ended up getting the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, ordering them through Discount Tire. The Discount Tire store a few miles from here is just excellent (Hwy 51 and Cactus Road in Phoenix, AZ). They have the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancer. This is a great machine and I think doing this helps a lot. The machine recommended a 180 degree rotation on one of the wheels and in the end, we got super low numbers on all for tires - some of the best they'd seen at the shop. Although with less than 100 miles, I can't be definitive on them, but so far I really like them. The car is rock solid, no vibration and a noticeable improvement over the worn out ones I was using.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post! You provided the information I needed to make a confident decision and I very much appreciate the help.

Steve;

As you know for the bike that there are only 2 things between you and the road and in the car it's 4. Don't compromise on performance over price as for a bit more money you can usually find some good tires that stick well and give you optimum performance. How we drive determines the life we get on the tires and the stickier the faster they wear..........but boy do they stick!! Tires are a lot cheaper in the US then here and you'll like the Kumho.

It's good tire. The problem though is once you put ad08 or direzza z2 and then go back to ecsta le or similar it will feel like winter tires or smth

I'm leaning toward the AD08-R, I just wish it were a 200 wear tire like the Z2's, etc.
Treadwear ratings are not comparable from one brand to another, and they are also not very precise at all. It's quite possible that the 180 treadwear rated AD08R will last just as long as the 200 rated ZII.

The only significance is that SCCA autocross will require a 200-or-greater treadwear rating in 2015 for the stock (street) class. For 2014 I believe the minimum is 140 but don't remember for sure.

Edit: I'm just going back to update references to my spreadsheet, which I moved to a new sheet to take advantage of some newer features from Google. New sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...69VkgjBTQ3nYpD-zKhiYwC-4nc/edit#gid=792074479

Last edited:
Back