• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help!!!

I just bought a black 91' in the Dallas area, and on the first night I had it, I hit a giant pothole and bent my front driverside wheel...should I get the wheel repaired, or buy a new one? A new wheeel will cost me around $1000 Yikes...Also, my spare was in bad shape once I put it on and is no longer reuseable, I went to Acura and they said a replacement was over $900, does this sound right? And are there any alternatives to the spare....thanks.

You can buy another wheel I suppose. Do you have the original 5 spoke wheels? If so there's a number of people who have these and would be willing to sell them.

You see them in the marketplace here and on the other NSX sites as well as eBay.

You should be able to pick up an entire whole set of 5 spoke wheels with tires for around $500 to $1000.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Yes, it costs $900, and is only available as a complete assembly. Or you could get it at a discount from Tracey Townsend at Gunn Acura.

However, if you want to save some money, your best bet is to post a new WTB (wanting to buy) topic to this forum (and maybe on the e-mail lists) seeking a spare tire assembly. There are quite a few owners who have installed larger brake caliper packages on their cars, and their spare won't fit over the calipers, so I'm sure you can find one who would be happy to sell his for not a whole lot of money.

Also - my spare has never been used. However its outer lip got scraped at the track. It's otherwise perfect and should work fine. I was thinking of buying a replacement from an owner who has the big brakes, in which case I'd be willing to sell the one I have for an even BETTER deal. Let me know if you're interested (or if you're as anal as I am in insisting on a perfect spare wheel that nobody ever sees
smile.gif
).

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 March 2001).]

Originally posted by humanoidtyphoon:
I hit a giant pothole and bent my front driverside....thanks.

If you bent the rim, then you probably also bent a tie rod without even knowing it. When I hit a brick and bent my front wheel, I brought it to a local wheel shop that straightened out my BBS rim. Then, when I took my NSX for the 15k service, they weren't able to align the front end because of a bent tie rod that had no sympotms at all. I would sugesst having you alignment checked too, as the suspension parts are very delicate in the NSX.

I once looked for a spare tire as well...I posted everywhere when I first purchased my '91 (mine is functional just old with some cracking). I never did find a used one, I thought it would be easy with many people using the Dali/RM Lemans Hood....NOPE.

I also searched for the OEM spare tire pump as mine was missing and a new one retails for around $750.00
eek.gif
if I remember correctly.....NOPE AGAIN. I finally found a new unit made by "Mass Air" that is very close to the OEM size. I had to modify the foam insert in the trunk using an exacto knife
frown.gif
, but the pump now fits perfectly and looks as if it's original.

Still looking for a good OEM spare though.

Still looking for a good OEM spare though.

How much are you willing to pay? I would think people with Brembo brakes have no use for the spare OEM wheel?

Originally posted by humanoidtyphoon:
I just bought a black 91' in the Dallas area, and on the first night I had it, I hit a giant pothole and bent my front driverside wheel...should I get the wheel repaired, or buy a new one? A new wheeel will cost me around $1000 Yikes...Also, my spare was in bad shape once I put it on and is no longer reuseable, I went to Acura and they said a replacement was over $900, does this sound right? And are there any alternatives to the spare....thanks.

Hey Jim,
This is Mike, What's happened to the rim ? You can call me anytime to see I can help.

Are you saying that if the spare *tire* (not wheel) goes bad that one has to buy the entire unit for $900? I hope that is not the case.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Read on if you have the factory 5 spoke rims.

If you have the 5 spoke rims, hitting that pothole was a blessing in disguise. Take that rim, along with the other 3, to the tallest bridge in your city and throw them off. Acura sure had their head up their ass when they came up with that rim design!! Get yourself a set of 7 spoke, or aftermarket rims for your car, and you will be much happier (and so will I for some reason) with the way your car looks.

If you don't have the 5 spokes, there are many places that will fix your rim for a fraction of the cost of a new one, even if you have to ship it to them.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the bad news!!!!

Are you saying that if the spare *tire* (not wheel) goes bad that one has to buy the entire unit for $900? I hope that is not the case.

That IS the case.

Back