• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

High beam not working

I have a '94 and my driver side high beam light does not come on (but passenger side does). I checked the driver side high beam bulb by testing it in the passenger side bulb socket and it worked so I know it's not the bulb. Is this a fuse or connection issue? Another very strange symptom is that the driver side low beam sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Do you think this is a related issue?

I would do a close inspection of the driver's side wiring harness, to include checking that the connector between the headlight assembly and the car wiring harness is securely plugged in. I don't think it is a fuse issue.

The headlight assembly is easy to work on; you will need a very small flat screwdriver, a large phillips screwdriver, and a ratchet with short extension and 10mm socket.

Pop up the headlights with the interior pop-up button, then remove the screw covers on the sides of the painted headlight covers. They are sort of like fingernails and just pry off with a very small screwdriver. Be careful not to drop and lose them! Now use a large phillips screwdriver to remove the four cover screws, two on each side. Now tilt the cover forward without trying to remove it yet (just tilt it forward) and remove the four 10mm bolts, two on each side, to loosen the headlight assembly. Now you should be able to move the headlight assembly enough to remove the cover that you have tilted forward but not removed yet. Unplug the wiring connector and remove the headlight assembly, it will just lift out.

Put the headlight assembly on a bench and examine it closely, both wiring and connector. Also examine the other half of it as well as the wiring harness of the car. I think if you do a close visual inspection of both the wiring and connectors you will be able to identify the problem. If the connector looks corroded inside try and clean the contacts with an emery board, contact cleaner, etc and pack the connector with silicone dielectric grease (available in small tubes an an auto parts store).

My gut instinct is that the problem is in the headlight connector.

Last edited:
Back