• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Higher speed limits save lives

I found an interesting article which goes to show that if anything is unsafe it's artificially low speeds. I have always had to explain to people that the cause of accidents is driver distraction, not higher speeds. Another interesting thing is that even with all of the added driver distractions in cars nowadays (cell phones, nav sys, touch screens etc) fatalities are still down overall with the higher speed limits now.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008621

I think the fatalities are also down because of more airbags being put into cars. Now it seems they have airbags for almost every part of the body.

Reminds me of the red light cameras. Accidents increase by 8% as the nationwide average when red light cameras are installed in a given intersection. There was also a study, only on 21-25 y/o males, that showed driver focus and reaction improved and was more consistent traveling at 80mph than 55mph. This was supposed to be a study vaguely in support of higher speed limits as well, though it was obviously too specific.

sahtt said:
Reminds me of the red light cameras. Accidents increase by 8% as the nationwide average when red light cameras are installed in a given intersection. There was also a study, only on 21-25 y/o males, that showed driver focus and reaction improved and was more consistent traveling at 80mph than 55mph. This was supposed to be a study vaguely in support of higher speed limits as well, though it was obviously too specific.

Red light cameras are awful things that only exist to generate revenue. A red light camera won't make a bit of difference when some joker (usually drunk) plows through a red light 3 seconds after it turns red. That's how most intersection fatalities occur--it happened to me in 1983 and I'm lucky to be alive. Do you think if a camera had been there instilling fear of a ticket in the driver who went through she wouldn't have plowed into me? Give me a break.

The reality of red-light cameras is this: people get freaked out by the camera and when the light turns yellow they stop when it is unsafe to do so ending up in the middle of intersections and/or have people rear-end them. What a joke they are.

And believe me, the government will continue to have an unenforced 65MPH bogus speed limit so that the police can pull virtually anyone over at any time since the flow of traffic on all major US interstates is 70-75MPH.

And yes, the vast majority of accidents (not fatalites) on Interstates occurs at speeds under 65MPH.

AndyNSX said:
I have always had to explain to people that the cause of accidents is driver distraction, not higher speeds.

I think I'd agree here, but if you consider the cause of death or serious injury during an accident rather than the cause of the accident itself, speed becomes the all consuming factor. KE = .5*m*v^2

Speed is not relative to the number of accidents that occur, but is proportionate to the number of deaths occuring within those number of accidents.

nsx2tall said:
I think I'd agree here, but if you consider the cause of death or serious injury during an accident rather than the cause of the accident itself, speed becomes the all consuming factor. KE = .5*m*v^2

True, but then the question becomes why not reduce speeds to a ridiculously low level and prevent all deaths? Where's the break-even point where practical speed and safety intersect?

Moral: there is no such thing as a "safe" speed. People are always going to die on roads. Other people want to get where they're going. Kind of an endless philosphical question...I'm sure there's a mathematical calculation that could be done based on stats and, if so, I'd like to see just what exactly is the "safest" speed on the interstate.

Juice said:
Speed is not relative to the number of accidents that occur, but is proportionate to the number of deaths occuring within those number of accidents.

Also true. But reduce overall accidents and reduce deaths. BTW--speed + poor lane discipline, unsafe/reckless driving I would venture to guess is also proportional to deaths.

I agree that there should be a speed limit. But make it realistic and enforce it. 65MPH isn't realistic and isn't enforced either.

I contend that the relaxed enforcement of speeds from 66-75MPH creates an unsafe atmosphere that almost promotes speeding. Once you're going 75 it's easy to go 80--you're already breaking the law. The theory that higher speed limits would result in higher speeding is flawed. The vast majority of drivers are reasonably safe and prudent. The 85% rule is how most speed limits are established, meaning 85% of drivers actually dictate the speed limits, not the government. So it turns out people can police themselves--that's why everyone (85%) drives 70-75MPH on the highway.

I lived in Germany for three years, and on the autobahn I consistently drove about 80 mph as a comfortable speed, when I could have chosen any speed. I still do the same here, in my NSX, when the speed limit is 70.

If you really want to improve DRIVER concentration and safety, remove ALL safety devices (airbags, seatbelts) and ALL electronic aids (TCS, et c.), and put a big SPIKE right in the middle of the steering wheel. :tongue:

Back