• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how low can I go, and still have an 'in spec' alignment?

Sometime this month, I'm hoping to have some BC coilovers installed.

I currently have koni yellows + h&r springs. When I took the car for an alignment, they said they couldn't get it 'in spec' as it is too low. I think the h&r springs drop it 1.5"?

So how low should I tell the shop to set the BC coilovers? 1.25" drop? 1"? Where should it still be in spec?
A separate shop will be doing the alignment, from the one installing the coilovers, and I won't have the ability to raise the coilovers on my own.

If you drop an inch on the rear you will be out of camber spec. Likely you'll end up at 2 degrees on the rear. Still good though.

If it were me I would have them set the ride height so visually the car looks even with fender gaps the same front/ rear then just deal with the best alignment you can get.

If you drop an inch on the rear you will be out of camber spec. Likely you'll end up at 2 degrees on the rear. Still good though.

Totally agree. At about a 1" drop I was around 2 degrees negative camber and that was the best they could do. I wanted it lower still so I dropped it another 8mm. I think the front can be that low and still in spec, it's the rear where there isn't enough camber adjustment available.

If it were me I would have them set the ride height so visually the car looks even with fender gaps the same front/ rear then just deal with the best alignment you can get.

I second that. Set what you want visually... I would also add to give the suspension about a week to settle in, then make any last adjustments and then bring it into the alignment shop.

To answer your original question, I think the lowest you could possibly go and still be able to be within OEM spec is like a 0.25" to 0.5" drop and the camber is going to be the item that you won't have enough adjustment to make the "spec".

Last edited:
added Camber isn't what wears tires fast, its the combination of Camber and Toe together. unfortunatly the rear toes on the NSX is insane from factory so much so they lessened the spec after the first year sales becasue of complaints of excessive tire wear. I personally have -4 + on the front and -2.6 camber on the rear but with 0* toe and i drive on R comps to and from the track with no issues over standard wear.

I think the lowest you could possibly go and still be able to be within OEM spec is like a 0.25" to 0.5" drop and the camber is going to be the item that you won't have enough adjustment to make the "spec".
So, if that's true .. I'm guessing that Bilsteins on the lower perch (approx 3/4" drop) is going to be outside of the spec?

So, if that's true .. I'm guessing that Bilsteins on the lower perch (approx 3/4" drop) is going to be outside of the spec?

I believe that was the case when I had Bilsteins, but just because it's "out of spec" doesn't mean it doesn't work or can't be adjusted to your driving needs.

Back