• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many of you guys own bicycles?

Custom titanium frame.
Pump is on the back side of the seat tube (allows for water bottle mount on front);
rear brake is mounted on front side of bridge (just to be different):

brake.jpg

Whimsical spoking pattern in the front wheel:

wheel.jpg

14 speed hub gearing (I wouldn't take a derailleur over this for anything):

hub.jpg

The gearhub comes with a shifter for MTB bars; no road-bar shifter was available when I bought it, so I made my own out of wood:

twist1.jpg
is that a ruhloff hub? i'm considering installing a multi-speed hub on our upright tandem so appreciated your brief endorsement of a hubbed approach.
hal

I love the look of the Tokyo langster. Since I was such a bmx buff back when I was a kid I couldn't get used to the low sitting position of a ten speed.

I went with a Specialized Globe San Francisco III. It has an internal 8 speed hub. Everyone that rides my bike loves how smooth it is to ride.

Tektro’s Auriga Comp dual-piston hydraulic disc brakes.

If you see one in the shop you gotta try it out. Kind of funky looking but very nice to ride. Even the single speed is great.

9298-20_GLB_SanFran_3_Navy_l.jpg

5212_130660050119_595705119_3585878_4355532_n.jpg

Last weekend I was at the seaotterclassics where they rented out the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca track for road biking and the dirt areas where for MTB.

I saw this neat bike made from bamboo and another made from various wood.

www.renovobikes.com

It sorta reminds me of the old speedboats made from varnishes wood.

2528739-2787788-thumbnail.jpg

2528739-5984225-thumbnail.jpg

The other thing that caught my eye for my yellow softride where the Mavic shoes that might be a good match:

10600036.jpg

mavzarap200.jpg

But I can't decide between these magnesium soles from DMT:

CYP206.bs_bench.dmtmag-399-75.jpg

I just bought a Fuji Nevada 4.0. I just wanted something to ride to the gym and also ride a little when camping. Now a question for you experts.I haven't ridden a bike in a while and the seat puts a lot of pressure on the perineum. I've already pointed the nose of the seat down and that helped but other than standing while pedaling what can be done? Do I just need to keep riding and it will go away? Any recommendations for a different seat maybe? Thanks guys.

I currently ride a Specialized ruby expert that I bought in April and it's fine for a bike. I used to run until my back couldn't take it anymore and. I quit running in April 2005.

Anyone here familiar with the ElliptiGo? I rode one last week and may drive down to the company store today (Solana Beach, CA) to get more informed information than I am getting in my local bike shops.

elliptigo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Ryl-TkJag&feature=youtu.be
^Video of people who love them and ride them.

Last edited:
Anyone here familiar with the ElliptiGo? I rode one last week and may drive down to the company store today (Solana Beach, CA) to get more informed information than I am getting in my local bike shops.

elliptigo.jpg

My friend has had one for a few months. He swears that it's better than a bicycle. He currently does 30-50 mile rides daily with it. He got it because of chronic back pain that prevented him from riding a traditional bicycle.

My friend has had one for a few months. He swears that it's better than a bicycle. He currently does 30-50 mile rides daily with it. He got it because of chronic back pain that prevented him from riding a traditional bicycle.
^Thank you for the info, DocL. Great to know. :smile: I'm on my way out the door to check them out again.

I have been on bicycle for as long as I can remember. I had a nice BMX bike that I built. Ok I had a few, but one that I kept around for a few years. I had few freestyle bikes as well. After a break, I am trying to get back into ridding, however with age I realize that it hurts a lot more when you fall. Not to mention my knees pop like crazy when I am on my 20" freestyle bike.

I currently ride an older Hoffman Condor frame.

I am also considering getting either a 2011 Jamis Ventura Comp or Race. The price difference would only be approx $200. If you have feedback please PM as I do not want to clutter up this thread.

I have a bike. I rode freestyle for many years with my friends. Those were some of the best times in my life. Partying back in the woods and hitting dirt jumps. Such an easier time back then. I dont have my original bike but I do have this Haro. I havent rode it in a good 2 years. It has two flat tires right now. I was thinking about riding it around when I saw this thread till I found out about the flat tires thing.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 365
just last week i began tearing down our ibis cousin it tandem ('92 w/~25k miles on it) to refresh it (powdercoat, modify to a more upright riding position) and convert it to an electric hybrid w/ruhloff internal hub for gearing.

I"ve got a rare teal colored ELF BMX bike sitting in my dining room in place of a table (or whatever people normally put in rooms they don't use). When I lived downtown I used to ride it often; I tend to take the RC51 out more often these days. They dominated the BMX frame market for a few years in the 90's.

I bought an ElliptiGo today.

IMG_5306110927ElliptiGO.jpg

Interesting trainer / bike. I read every link on their pages and my go check one out. I look forward to reading your impressions and experiences with it.

^My first impressions are it's way fun! I loved to run for exercise from the time I was 18, until I was 47 and my back could not take it anymore (herniated disc). I even dreamed about running when I had to stop when I was very prego. Anyway, I've settled for the elliptical at the gym (yawn) and riding my bike for the past 6 years. I'm 53. The ElliptiGo feels much closer to running and put an instant happy face on my head. Between using an elliptical and bike riding, it was easy for me to feel comfortable right away on the ElliptiGo. The thing weighs a ton, though. It's around 44 lbs. I normally put my ~20 lb bike in the back of my Crosstour, and take it to a parking lot next to a bike path where I can get in 30 miles. This thing is too heavy. I have rheumatoid arthritis, which normally doesn't bug me, but man did it hurt my hand trying to get this pig in the back of the Crosstour. I'm going to see if I can't get good enough on the steep hills where I live to get to the bike path just by riding there, instead of driving to it.

I look forward to hearing what you think of it, queenlives.

^My first impressions are it's way fun! I loved to run for exercise from the time I was 18, until I was 47 and my back could not take it anymore (herniated disc). I even dreamed about running when I had to stop when I was very prego. Anyway, I've settled for the elliptical at the gym (yawn) and riding my bike for the past 6 years. I'm 53. The ElliptiGo feels much closer to running and put an instant happy face on my head. Between using an elliptical and bike riding, it was easy for me to feel comfortable right away on the ElliptiGo. The thing weighs a ton, though. It's around 44 lbs. I normally put my ~20 lb bike in the back of my Crosstour, and take it to a parking lot next to a bike path where I can get in 30 miles. This thing is too heavy. I have rheumatoid arthritis, which normally doesn't bug me, but man did it hurt my hand trying to get this pig in the back of the Crosstour. I'm going to see if I can't get good enough on the steep hills where I live to get to the bike path just by riding there, instead of driving to it.

I look forward to hearing what you think of it, queenlives.
thx for the quick feedback, kyras. reading their webpages i did note that it was heavy - heck, just think of it as extra resistance to help you :) i showed the vid and your notes to my wife and i think we're going to go check one out early next week. looking forward to any / all feedback you have going forward.
hal

thx for the quick feedback, kyras. reading their webpages i did note that it was heavy - heck, just think of it as extra resistance to help you :) i showed the vid and your notes to my wife and i think we're going to go check one out early next week. looking forward to any / all feedback you have going forward.
hal

^I got ElliptiGos accessory bundle and have put the toe clips on the foot platforms. They are supposed to help riding on hills but it haven't tried it out yet.

Back