• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much to paint an NSX? (average) price

Maybe $5K for a so-so job, $10K to have it done properly and well.

Once you consider the price as well as the drop in market value from re-painting, it would definitely be more cost-effective to sell the car as is and buy one in the color you want, rather than repainting it.

Mine's in the shop right now for a total repaint, plus a Style nose and an '02 rear valance. The shop will do a disassembly to paint all the pieces off the body (no taping or overspray behind the body panels) and then reassemble it. The cost, to repaint the same color, is about $6K. The parts are extra. I will let you know how the quality is at that price.

It cost $8K to paint my Lotus a couple of years ago. That included sanding off all the old paint, fixing minor stress cracks (darn glass cars) and painting with Glasserit. Quality is equal to NSX factory job. I would guess $10K for the NSX now if you were taking off the old paint and disassembling panels. It's not really worth it to change colors.

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

What if you were wanting a color not available from the factory? I was thinking about painting with one of those new multi-color paints - I was thinking an iridescent black/green/blue (like some beetles, insects not VWs) or maybe a black/red/gold would be really cool. Anyone know if you would have to take off the original coat for something like that? Would painting over the original coat save much money anyway?

ChopsJazz

Could u let me know how you get the Style Front Spoiler? Is that the one from Germany? I tried to email them but could not get any reply.

Also, how much did you pay for the Style Front Spoiler and teh 2002 rear valance.

Many Thanks

Ben

Tak,

To do the job properly requires a lot of work. You need to paint the engine compartment, under the hood and all the visible places that are black.

If the car needs repainting because of damage or chips, then I would suggest repainting it black.

If you're simply doing this for a color change, I would suggest doing what Ken suggested, and sell your car and get the color you want. Consider that you could put that $10K into a newer car with fewer miles too.

To do a proper re-color, you might need to spend even more than $10K when you consider all the labor involved in removing the engine and other components.

To do anything less on a car like the NSX, seems a damn shame. Not to mention the damage to the resale value.

FWIW.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

I am having a complete paint job which should be complete tomorrow (I HOPE). I am keeping the original color, however.

It will cost me about $5500. I am not painting the entire engine compartment or the entire front compartment. The car was disassembled and some new parts have been obtained (ie, rubber parts, plastic grommets, misc items) and that is included in that price.

I have to agree with the others regarding a color change. To do so will be an enormous amount of work and the cost/benefit may not be worth it.

I agree with the statements above that you should consider another car if you want a different color.

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black
Comptech Supercharger
Bridgestone Proline Wheels
SOS HIDs
RM Exhaust
Brembo Gran Turismo Brakes
Passport SRX
Red Roof

Originally posted by NSXWonder:
ChopsJazz

Could u let me know how you get the Style Front Spoiler? Is that the one from Germany? I tried to email them but could not get any reply.

Also, how much did you pay for the Style Front Spoiler and teh 2002 rear valance.

Many Thanks

Ben

Ben, I tried to reply to your emails, but they bounced back. I hope this works.
I live in California where Style Auto, in Germany, is 9 hours difference.
That means that there is about a day from the time I mail until he reads,
then another day for the response. His name is Michael Neumann.
The email that I used successfully is [email protected]
I'll contact him and tell him about you.
I got the rear valance through a private sale on Prime for $450. There is
one on the site now for less, but the timing wasn't right for me. Maybe
it's the right one for you. http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/001014.html
Good luck,
Ken

Much less than your average wedding.
biggrin.gif

I paid $11,000 to have my black nsx painted 97 factory spa-yellow. Now the car is going back to get a 2002 nsx-r update and that is costing me anywhere from $6-8,000. My car was in the shop for 6 months, having the color change done.

Back