• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to disable ABS

How to disable ABS

I am planning to take my NSX to the track for the first time (I've always used their cars before, figure it time to really get a feel for my own). Is anyone aware of a method for temporarily disabling the anit-lock braking system?

any helpfull information is greatly appreciated..
darcon

Uh! Guess I wasn't clear. I have been on the track before. I've completed several racing schools. When I stated that I've only used their cars before I was refering to the cars provided by the racing school. I havn't used my own car on a track since Lime Rock in my old 240Z....I feel it safe to say that I am an accomplished enough driver to not need ABS as a "training aid". In any event I was looking for the parking brake info....and I got it Many thanks...
darcon

[This message has been edited by darcon (edited 01 May 2002).]

I wouldn't recommend disabling ABS on the track. Under braking you will likely engage ABS if it is the first time for you on the track. Do you mean TCS? I do disable TCS on the track, which you can accomplish by pushing the TCS button on the dash or disconnecting the computer. BTW, ABS can be disabled by engaging the e-brake up one click, and driving for about a 1/4 mile. Proceed at your own risk.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

ABS is a good training aid at the track. You can learn to achieve maximum braking through the technique called "threshold braking", which is braking with the tires on the verge (threshold) of locking up. If you feel the ABS kick in, that means you braked too hard, hard enough to lock up the tires.

You can disable ABS by starting the car, engaging the parking brake a few clicks, and driving around a little bit at low speed. In a few minutes the ABS light will come on and the system will be deactivated. At this point, release the parking brake completely and you are ready to go. The next time you turn the car off and on again ABS will reset and function as normal.

Disclaimer: I am not recommending disabling ABS, I am just answering a technical question about the car.

Originally posted by Lud:
You can disable ABS by starting the car, engaging the parking brake a few clicks, and driving around a little bit at low speed. In a few minutes the ABS light will come on and the system will be deactivated. At this point, release the parking brake completely and you are ready to go. The next time you turn the car off and on again ABS will reset and function as normal.

Disclaimer: I am not recommending disabling ABS, I am just answering a technical question about the car.

Lud,
Thanks for providing the exact answer that I was looking for. Disclaimer acknowledged ;0)

Chris,
Where do you disconnect the computer for the TCS? I never use mine and can't think of one time when I would want to use it. Thanks

Back