• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how to hibernate in Edmonton

Well dude, I have to work but can be home at lunch if your there at 11.45. Should take 12 minutes tops to mount them.
Also my Brother has a great place to rent for you and the wife on the corner of Saskatchewan Drive and 104th, the corner facing downtown across the river valley and east as well. Third floor I think, one stall underground, one outside.
The nice foreign couple that are chemical engineers or something like that are moving out to Toronto for work related stuff, so this is available soon.
Thats right, just movin on up... to the east side!!!
pm me if you want the scoop.
Trev

Okay, there's lots of bad ideas/advice for storage here.

If you're parking your car for the winter, DON'T START IT AT ALL. Startup is the worst thing for the engine and it serves no purpose. Turn it off and the only time you should turn it back on is in the spring when you're going to be driving it on a regular basis.

DON'T set the climate control to recirculate. You'll trap all the air in the car and nothing flows through. It'll smell really funny in the spring. I wouldn't be too worried about critters around here. There's no rats in Alberta and I've never had a mouse problem. If you're that concerned, put traps under or around your car.

Pull the battery out if you want. I never did and it took a charge every spring. It's not too hard to boost

Fill the gas tank. Fuel stabilizer is up to you, but gas won't go bad in 6 months. I never used it and never had problems and won't be using it in the S2000.

I never touched my tires either. I put cardboard under the tires to keep them off the pavement but that was it. I was running 275/35/18 and 225/40/17 on my wheels and never had a flatspot problem.

Wash and wax your car. Make sure you try and get water out of the hard spots. (mirrors and spoiler, if my memory is still good. On that note, you think the NSX mirrors hold water? Try the S2K mirrors. They'll hold a fishtank!) With the NSX, you don't have to worry about rust, so don't worry about putting a tarp under the car or anything. My garage is insulated and doesn't get that cold and the S2K is the only thing in it, so it's not going to see much use at all this winter, except when we're in there doing the suspension and wheels, so I'm not too worried that it's steel (mostly).

Make sure your coolant is mixed. The last thing you want is water freezing and cracking your block.

Change the oil out in the spring. Pull the ECU fuse if you want and crank it a bit to get oil in the heads. I never did this either. When you start it in the spring, let it run till the temp gauge is up before you move it.

Don't put the parking brake on. Leave it in neutral. Put chocks behind the wheels.

Fire it up in spring and enjoy it.

And don't put it away yet, it's still nice out. I'm still top down in the S2K, so you guys can't pansy out yet. :tongue:

Remember, the thoughts and opinions expressed here are only that of the person posting them. I would suggest you find what works for your style and a touch of experience from others.
I personally start all my vehicles and let them run for more than 15 minutes through the winter months. I take my bikes for ride if its not too slippery.
Pulling wheelies with my VTR1000 down Whyte ave two years ago on xmas day was fun!
My experience with batteries is that they need to be tended to.
If you are worried about tyres, throw on your old 15/16" if you still have them.
Just some thoughts from my experience.
Trev

Absolutely Trev.

I'm posting what I've done in the past and what's worked for me.

Hey do you still have Dan's 15/16 wheels..

I have to borrow a set because I'm going to get my wheels refinished this winter and I need a set of wheel for my car to sit on. I don't want my car having the suspension unsprung for a month or so....

No, I don't. The dealer that I sold it to wanted them.

I'm sorry about that Dan. I never even thought about it. If you want them back, I'll pick up a set of OEM wheels for you as quick as I can find some.

Eddie; I have new wheels for my S2K coming in soon, like a month or so. If you want, you can have my oem S2K 16s to sit on while your wheels are getting fixed.

No, I don't. The dealer that I sold it to wanted them.

I'm sorry about that Dan. I never even thought about it. If you want them back, I'll pick up a set of OEM wheels for you as quick as I can find some.

Eddie; I have new wheels for my S2K coming in soon, like a month or so. If you want, you can have my oem S2K 16s to sit on while your wheels are getting fixed.

No problem. What are you going to drive this winter if you plan on storing the S2K?

Dan

I've lucked into my parents van for one more winter. After this, I'm pretty sure they're selling it, so I'll pick up a Civic or something for next year.

My brother is moving to Lethbridge for a job though, so I'll have the garage here to store/work on it all winter. It'll look like this when it rolls out in spring.

sunset01.jpg

i've lucked into my parents van for one more winter. After this, i'm pretty sure they're selling it, so i'll pick up a civic or something for next year.

My brother is moving to lethbridge for a job though, so i'll have the garage here to store/work on it all winter. It'll look like this when it rolls out in spring.

sunset01.jpg

supercharger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or is it

TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its getting supercharged as soon as I hear back from SOS about their supercharger kit.

After experiencing first hand with SoS and their 'promised' delivery date on superchargers. Days becames weeks, weeks became months. What if months turned into years. You could be waiting a very long time. Unless that is the expected time line for force inducting your car...My advice would be to get a proven unit sooner, rather than later and enjoy it !!!!!! When you have the extra power, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner...

moved to Edm from San Diego last week.......why?......at least for one winter:wink:
Found frost in my driveway this morning :eek: and its not even Thxgiving yet.

how does one's NSX make it thru the winter besides making sure the anti freeze is 50/50? No plans to drive the car during winter and the car will be parked in a non-heated garage. so besides starting the car once a week, what else do I need to do? would the tires get flat spots from sitting in cold temp too long?

any tips Oilers fans?

call me in Edmonton and I will run through a few things.
780 431-0338 (Allan)

A guy could tape off the intake and exhaust to keep moisture out and then if possible turn the engine by hand off the crank pulley each month.
Put on the battery tender for take out the battery into a warm location to rest for the winter. I do this with my Harley battery.
Me, I'm just still driving her.
Going to change out the front struts to 04's at lunch....then go for a rip.
Trev

coming out of hibernation.....

and its time for me to go back to the land of fruits and nuts.

it was nice meeting you - Trev, Eddie, Dan, Warren, Cameron.

i will be 10 min. away from the infamous NSXGOD - Dali racing:rolleyes: should any of you dare to order from him and get shafted...i am willing to help:frown:

I am gonna buy a front lic. plate holder from him for the very 1st time and see my luck.

Re: coming out of hibernation.....

and its time for me to go back to the land of fruits and nuts.

it was nice meeting you - Trev, Eddie, Dan, Warren, Cameron.

i will be 10 min. away from the infamous NSXGOD - Dali racing:rolleyes: should any of you dare to order from him and get shafted...i am willing to help:frown:

I am gonna buy a front lic. plate holder from him for the very 1st time and see my luck.

Tim:
How are you getting your car back to SD?
Are you driving it in the snow? If so, what route? My parents used to own property in Arizona and always had trouble going through Montana in March. You may want to head for the coast and then go south.

All the best. Take care. and stay in touch!

PS>> I have ordered from Dali a half dozen times. Never an issue. Just ensure he has the parts available before purchase.

Last edited:
Re: coming out of hibernation.....

Tim:
How are you getting your car back to SD?
Are you driving it in the snow? If so, what route? My parents used to own property in Arizona and always had trouble going through Montana in March. You may want to head for the coast and then go south.

All the best. Take care. and stay in touch!

PS>> I have ordered from Dali a half dozen times. Never an issue. Just ensure he has the parts available before purchase.

I am driving her down with me as I found a set of headers in LA that I am gonna put on....and then the Prospeed chip to round off all the engine mod I can do and still pass smog.

next wk should be warmer and the freeway looks clean enough to drive.
I am leaving at nite to avoid flying pebbles....well, i hope.

>You may want to head for the coast and then go south.
do you mean go thru Edson/Jasper/Vancouver/Seattle? or keep going on 2 South and go thru Spoken?

I started her last wk for 25 min. w/ no drama....heater and a/c are working fine:smile:.........coolant level is perfect and the test we did gave me a lot of peace of mind. I wonder if my tires are still round.

w/ Dali..... that little blinking green light makes me nervous but I just have to pull the trigger and hope there is ROI waiting for me at home. Its like crack, you want to quit but keep going back for more.

Back