• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HP Performance's Turbo Kit for 91 NSX

cash84 said:
I see that some of you think that price is too low to be true. Well in my words I think thats way too expensive. The only way I would pay for that price is have that company install it and tune it for me and if any problems occur they would fix. Its just my 2 cent.

Well then I guess your not going FI anytime soon:wink:

525hp on a stock motor? sounds like a ticking timebomb to me.

zahntech said:

500+hp is what was obtained running 15psi with a stock compression, obviously 15psi would require a significantly modified low-compression build for any kind of long-term reliability.

As you can see above the conclusion most of us have reached is to run boost much closer to the 8.8psi curve, which the company probably 'gets' as well, as they did runs at 8.8psi in their magazine article, next to the 15psi curve. With an aftercooled 8.8psi setup you would be comparable to CTSC boost, assuming the fit and finish is good, it would be a good seller, for $8000 with AEM and an aftercooler.

As Danny inferred, several people *hope* this is a quality kit, and it would be great for the nsx if it is indeed a quality kit, but the pause comes at gambling the $8k for a more or less untested nsx turbo kit. The prototype car is still running around, even after these 15psi curves, but the owner, while a member of prime, isn't a very 'showy' member, eg there isn't a wealth of info about his car, there aren't non-mfgr dyno graphs, etc. - with that info, and some first hand input (non-biased) about the quality of the kit, it might be easier to rationalize the purchase.

cash84 said:
I most like would perfer steel anyway. I've heard too many SS pipes crack but some has put alot of abuse on SS pipes and lasted. But there are more chances of having a SS crack somewhere down the road. In the pic it is steel with ceramic coating.

I see that some of you think that price is too low to be true. Well in my words I think thats way too expensive. The only way I would pay for that price is have that company install it and tune it for me and if any problems occur they would fix. Its just my 2 cent.

Stainless has less of a chance cracking than steel...period.
You are probably referring to the exhaust header, rather than the IC piping, related components, etc. The correct combination of dissimilar metals when applied to a header and welding material will prevent cracking for a longer duration, but it can still happen. A lot of this comes into play with the tuner and using enough fuel to bring down the EGT's.
Steel has a lesser thermal expansion than stainless, so the material is best suited for a flange. Stainless has a higher heat retention which is necessary for keeping the thermal charge at a maxmium.

Last edited:
Hoover said:
Stainless has less of a chance cracking than steel...period.
You are probably referring to the exhaust header, rather than the IC piping, related components, etc. The correct combination of dissimilar metals when applied to a header and welding material will prevent cracking for a longer duration, but it can still happen. A lot of this comes into play with the tuner and using enough fuel to bring down the EGT's.
Steel has a lesser thermal expansion than stainless, so the material is best suited for a flange. Stainless has a higher heat retention which is necessary for keeping the thermal charge at maxium.

well there are different SS out there 304 308 and 316 I think those are the three. Maybe I didn't look at the right comparision. Yea I was referring to the exhaust header. I just read up on one of the racing website think it was SDS site (simple digital system).

But as for this kit as well other single turbo kit. Is it true that you lose alot of torque on having a longer travel from the exhaust port to the turbo? Thats what I was iffy about the torque #'s even tho these engines weren't ment to be torque power.

zahntech said:

lol. Of course not. But in the near future I plan on it. This is what scares me if something like this would happen. As for internal, it would be a low-compression stroker kit.

cash84 said:
well there are different SS out there 304 308 and 316 I think those are the three. Maybe I didn't look at the right comparision. Yea I was referring to the exhaust header. I just read up on one of the racing website think it was SDS site (simple digital system).

But as for this kit as well other single turbo kit. Is it true that you lose alot of torque on having a longer travel from the exhaust port to the turbo? Thats what I was iffy about the torque #'s even tho these engines weren't ment to be torque power.

Great question!:smile:

A turbo header has a different criteria for optimum performance than an N/A header. I've heard quite a few different theories on long tube header vs. short tube headers on turbo applications. However, there are always trade-offs between the two. Longer primaries are less turbulent due to the fact that each bank has a longer time to establish form. There are many different types merge collectors on the market that allow for the smoothest entry to the turbo. The longer primaries carry more weight and the length of the tubing will allow more heat to escape (which may be only a very small amount). The turbos geometry to the header flange will also add more weight and a higher possibility of cracking unless braced properly. Short tube turbo headers are much more cost effective, lighter weight, less strain on the tubing which will prevent cracking for longer periods of time.

Generally, a turbo manifold should be free flowing by design. Some people will want them equal length so that each cylinder is neither richer nor leaner than another. A free flowing manifold will help decrease spool time as the larger volume of thermal energy helps get the turbine rotating. HP gaines are usually noticed at higher rpm bands and are proportinate to the boost levels applied.

HP Prototype car (i guess for lack of a better name) checking in here....reason for not posting recently is oil seal in the turbo has made a departure and so the car has been sitting till I get my Turbo Mustang out of the 'large' garage spot so i can work on it...

After discovering the VVIS secret for our cars...i had to have the car retuned by a local AEM tuner who is excellent for any of you in the KC area. I am guessing the 8.8psi Dyno chart is going to be more impressive once i get it back on the dyno.

i will post back with my progress and videos....sorry for the delay

**oh...I'm blaming the horribly rich tune and backfires for the oil seal problem...live and learn :)

phoenix8 said:
HP Prototype car (i guess for lack of a better name) checking in here....reason for not posting recently is oil seal in the turbo has made a departure and so the car has been sitting till I get my Turbo Mustang out of the 'large' garage spot so i can work on it...

After discovering the VVIS secret for our cars...i had to have the car retuned by a local AEM tuner who is excellent for any of you in the KC area. I am guessing the 8.8psi Dyno chart is going to be more impressive once i get it back on the dyno.

**oh...I'm blaming the horribly rich tune and backfires for the oil seal problem...live and learn :)

Thanks for chiming in.......:smile:

phoenix8 said:

Did you get a chance to make it to the Dyno yet?

I've been researching turbo kits for the last few months and think I am about to place my order for one of these kits. I talked to HP a couple of times and I think I will have them install it and dyno it. I will keep you guys posted if I pull the trigger on it.
Craig

The HP kit doesn't have cats on it. I guess if you needed them, you could probably go to a muffler shop and have them put in. I would assume that you would want to tune the car after you made that modification.
Craig

scorp965 said:
F&F = fit & finish

Craig, do you know if there is anyway to retain catalytic converters with this kit, perhaps as an option?

No Cats unless you want to pay a custom shop to do it. I haven't seen a system yet that has the Cats....

Last edited:
I called HP and ordered the kit a couple of weeks ago. I will keep you posted with any updates that i get. I may have HP install and dyno tune the car when the kit is ready, not sure yet.:biggrin:

Craig

ccathey said:
I called HP and ordered the kit a couple of weeks ago. I will keep you posted with any updates that i get. I may have HP install and dyno tune the car when the kit is ready, not sure yet.:biggrin:

Craig

Have you gotten it yet?

I think I am in the midst of purchasing this kit as well.

I had one of my friends, who is very familiar with turbo's and such call them and talk with them. I think this may be our best bet...ALTHOUGH, we will see how it turns out...

Any news on yours yet?

And whats this about VVIS?

Well, I got my kit a few days ago. The tubing looks awesome! Much better than the pictures in this thread. I'm trying to get the car in to HP Performance for the install, but they're slammed with other installs. They are trying to fit me in, but it looks like it might be a couple of weeks. Sorry It took so long for this post, but I wanted to make sure I had it in hand first.
Craig

P.S. I don't know much about the VVIS. Maybe someone else can tell us about it.

Back