• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need some opinions on this 97 on ebay JH4NA2168VT000043

This 97 have a 112,327 miles and I know that is high for a 97 and a NSX however it is a Acura/Honda so I know it is very reliable. The reason i'm interested is that, the overall condition looks excellent inside and out (from the pictures) and I'm willing to give up some mileage for that.

I wanted to get you guy's opinion on a price range. I compared it to the pricing on FAQ but the high mileage makes it a little hard to determine a ball park price.
I have been reading this forum for over a year so I know you guys always give honest and great feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5337&item=2488961176&rd=1

Thanks in advance.
Gee

Re: I need some opinions on this 97 on ebay

I would guess around 40k. The car seems to be in good condition albeit with high mileage. The only blemish seems to be the scratch in the lower front drivers side and the front spoiler is missing.

Make sure to run a carfax, get service records (i'm assuming timing belt is done by what the ad states), and the most important part is pay to get a Pre Purchase inspection done. Pay particular attention to the climate control system. This can be a common problem in the NSX and can add up to big$$$ depending on the problem.

If you need someone to do a visual for you, I do live in Maryland about 15 miles north of Baltimore. I'm not sure where in Maryland this owner lives. edit:I just noticed the owner lives in Ellicott City so that's not so far, about 45 minutes away. I cannot drive the car as shifting gears is currently out of the question (I recently broke 8 bones on my right side). But if it's not too far away I can get a good idea of the condition as I also own a 97'.

Good luck

GEENSX said:
I wanted to get you guy's opinion on a price range. I compared it to the pricing on FAQ but the high mileage makes it a little hard to determine a ball park price.
Yes, exactly. I agree with the advice hlweyl gives. As for a price estimate, it becomes a matter of how much you deduct for the mileage. If this car had 35K miles on it - average for a '97 - then it would probably sell for high forties, maybe fifty. With this many miles, how much do you deduct? Because there aren't a whole lot of similar cars, it becomes a guessing game. I would have guessed lower than hlweyl, somewhere in the $35-37K range, but we're really both just guessing. It's almost impossible to precisely say that $X is the value of this car, when its mileage makes it fairly unique. It's worth whatever it can be sold for.

Re: I need some opinions on this 97 on ebay

Thanks, hlweyl and Nsxtasy for your feedback.

hlweyl, let me do some additional research on the car and I will let you know if I would like you to do a visual on it.

Thanks agian.

Could some run a carfax report on this vin# JH4NA2168VT000043.

Thanks again

I'd stay away from this one

Report Generated for
you from sgvnsxrated
For Personal Use Only

Since its establishment as an independent company in 1986, CARFAX has collected the largest vehicle history database in North America. This database currently includes over 3 billion records from thousands of public and private sources.

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

ALERT! Severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043). This vehicle does NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This coupe has had 4 owners and was owned in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland. The first title for this coupe was reported to CARFAX by a New York DMV in 1997.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It was issued an Exceeds Mechanical Limits title by a Maryland DMV. This title is issued when the owner discloses an odometer rollover.
It was not reported to a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
Its basic warranty has expired. You may want to discuss an extended warranty with your dealer.
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Report Summary
1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported to DMV
Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported
2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check Odometer Problems Reported to DMV
Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found
Mileage Consistency Check No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found
3. LEMON CHECK®
No Mfr. Buyback Reported to DMV
4. OWNERSHIP CHECK

Number of Owners 4 Estimated Owner(s)
Type of Owners Checked 8 Types of Vehicle Registrations
5. RECALL CHECK
ACURA Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX
6. WARRANTY CHECK
No Coverage Remaining on Basic Warranty
DETAILED VEHICLE HISTORY 12 HISTORY RECORDS REPORTED
Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Year/Make/Model: 1997 ACURA NSX-T

Body Style: COUPE
Engine: 3.2L V6 PFI DOHC 24V
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: JAPAN
Safety Equipment: 4 wheel ABS, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Removable roof, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer

FREE to you from CARFAX. With the CARFAX Vehicle History Report, you get all this additional information to help you make the right decision when buying or selling a used car or truck.

Looking for other 1997 ACURA NSX-T vehicles like this one in your area?
Get a complete, up-to-date list of CARFAX Hot Listings

What are other CARFAX customers saying about this 1997 ACURA NSX-T?
Share what you know about this vehicle - Add a CARFAX Customer Rating & Comment.

Helping your teen learn to drive?
Get safe teen driving tips and information with the CARFAX Safe Teen Drivers Program.

Total Loss Check:

None of the following severe damage events were ever reported by a DMV for this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043).

No Salvage Title Reported No Loss Due To Fire Title Reported
No Junk Title Reported No Flood Damage Title Reported
No Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Reported No Hail Damage Title Reported
No Dismantled Title Reported No Canadian Total Loss Record Reported

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043) had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX from its sources. This section checks for accidents and/or related damage reported from many public and private sources. Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional mechanic is recommended.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported
No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported
No Police Accident Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 05.Sep.2004 14:39:08. New data will result in a change to this report.
Not all accidents are reported to the Police. Tell us if you know of other fender benders, accidents or damage.

Accident Check FAQs:
Accident FAQs | Glossary | CARFAX Help Center

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

ALERT! Major odometer problems were reported by a DMV under the Truth-In-Mileage Act for this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043). This vehicle does NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

Not Actual Mileage Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses mileage fraud or a broken odometer.
Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses an odometer rollover.

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043).

Date: Mileage:
02/20/1997 25
09/01/1999 20,489
10/28/1999 20,578
10/24/2003 106,345
11/19/2003 106,948
03/30/2004 108,130

Do you know this vehicle's current mileage? Tell us and help protect others from mileage fraud.

Mileage Accuracy Check FAQs:
Mileage Accuracy FAQs | Glossary | CARFAX Help Center

No manufacturer buyback was ever reported by a DMV for this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043).

Lemon Check FAQs:
Lemon Check FAQs | Glossary | CARFAX Help Center

Ownership History:

CARFAX estimates that this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043) had 4 owner(s). CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history and other supporting events to identify potential ownership transfers. In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Estimated Owners: Date: Location:
1st owner 02/20/1997 New York
2nd owner 09/08/1999 Pennsylvania
3rd owner 10/01/2002 Virginia
4th owner 03/30/2004 Maryland

Types of Owners:

This 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043) was checked for 8 types of registrations.

Personal Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported
No Lease Registration Reported No Commercial Registration Reported
No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported
No Taxi Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported

Do you have information about how this vehicle was used or driven? Tell us what you know.

Ownership Check FAQs:
Ownership FAQs | Glossary | CARFAX Help Center

ACURA does not report recall information for specific vehicles to CARFAX.
Go to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for a list of all the safety recalls issued for the 1997 ACURA NSX-T. You can also contact an authorized dealership or ACURA at 1-800-999-1009 to find out if this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043) still has recalls that require repair.

Recall Check FAQs:
Recall FAQs | Glossary | CARFAX Help Center

CARFAX estimated the remaining original manufacturer warranty coverage for this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043) using the date this report was generated (05.Sep.2004 14:39:08) and the last odometer reading reported to CARFAX. If you have a current odometer reading, you may recalculate the remaining warranty coverage.
CARFAX used time only to calculate the remaining warranty coverage because mileage problems were found in this vehicle's history. See Mileage Accuracy Check.

Estimated start date of warranty: 01/28/1997
Last reading reported on 03/30/2004: True mileage unknown
Today's Date: September 5, 2004

Type of Coverage: Original Warranty: Estimated Remaining Coverage:
Basic 48 months or 50,000 miles Coverage expired
Drivetrain 48 months or 50,000 miles Coverage expired
Emissions 24 months or 24,000 miles Coverage expired
Corrosion 60 months or unlimited mileage Coverage expired
Transferable Transferable at no cost Same
Roadside Assistance 48 months or 50,000 miles Coverage expired
Safety Belt & Inflatable Restraint No data reported to CARFAX
Specific Components 96 months or 80,000 miles 5 months
Notes: Manufacturer covers emissions components under basic warranty. Emissions coverage may vary by state. Refer to owners manual for specific details. Roadside assistance covered for 4 years or 50,000 miles. Warranty transferable at no cost to subsequent owners.

CARFAX Warranty Check provides an estimate of this vehicle's remaining warranty coverage. It does not take into account some vehicle history events. For example, major accidents resulting in Salvage or Junk titles that may void the original manufacturer warranty or ownership transfers that may decrease warranty coverage. Complete warranty coverage information is available for this vehicle at the ACURA web site.

Warranty Calculator FAQs:
Warranty FAQs | Glossary | CARFAX Help Center

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 12 record(s) for this 1997 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2168VT000043).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

01/28/1997 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Roslyn Heights, NY
Registered as
personal vehicle

02/20/1997 25 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
South Hadley, MA
Title issued
First owner reported

09/01/1999 20,489 Auto Auction
Sold at auction
in Eastern Region
Listed as
a fleet vehicle

09/08/1999 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Bala Cynwyd, PA
Title or registration issued
New owner reported

10/28/1999 20,578 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Barrington, IL

07/12/2001 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

10/29/2001 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Barrington, IL

10/01/2002 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Eden Prairie, MN
New owner reported

10/24/2003 106,345 Auto Auction
Sold at auction
in Pennsylvania
Listed as
a fleet vehicle

11/19/2003 106,948 Auto Auction
Sold at auction
in Georgia
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

03/30/2004 108,130 Maryland
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Ellicott City, MD
Title #33979720
New owner reported
EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS TITLE ISSUED

CARFAX AdvisorTM
An EML title is issued when the owner discloses an odometer rollover to a DMV. Rollovers occur on vehicles with 5-digit odometers that go from 99,999 to 00,000 every 100,000 miles.

Mileage reported after this reading is potentially unreliable

03/31/2004 Maryland
Motor Vehicle Dept.

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Detailed Vehicle History Definitions:

Exceeds Mechanical Limits
A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Truth-in-Mileage Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer.

First Owner
When the first owner(s) obtains a title from a Department of Motor Vehicles as proof of ownership.

New Owner Reported
When a vehicle is sold to a new owner, the Title must be transferred to the new owner(s) at a Department of Motor Vehicles.

Personal Use
Vehicle was registered by the owner for private or personal use.

Detailed Vehicle History FAQs:
Detailed Vehicle History FAQs | Glossary | CARFAX Help Center

CARFAX Disclaimer:

CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®

Need help? Please visit our Help Center at www.carfax.com.

© 2004 CARFAX, Inc., an R.L. Polk & Co. company. All rights reserved. Patents pending. 05.Sep.2004 14:39:08

I don't really understand this carfax, it seems the only problem it found was "odometer rollback". To quote the report "Exceeds Mechanical Limits
A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Truth-in-Mileage Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer."

The problem with these findings is that the NSX does not have a 5 digit odometer. It has 6 digits so it is showing true mileage.

The only finding I would find slightly abnormal is that the current owner only purchased the car 6 months ago. Kind of unusual to turn over an NSX so early if there are no problems.

hlweyl said:
I don't really understand this carfax
I don't understand it either, for the same reason.

There is nothing on this Carfax that would make me want to avoid this car, if I were otherwise interested in it...

Thanks for the carfax sgvnsxrated.

That "odometer rollback" on the report was confusing to me too hlwey.
I'm not an expert at reading carfax but I don't see any other issues on the report.

Thanks again guys.

Its now at $29.1K with 8 days to go...
At THAT price I'd be interested too :)

Scanning the CARFAX report its VAGUE as to where it has the potential discrepancies...

10/28/1999 20,578
10/24/2003 106,345

This suggests that 4 years, one of the owners put 86K miles on it, or approx 21K + miles/year. A bit high IMO, but these are "Honda reilable" motors, right? I'd be curious in finding out if its got good service records (e.g., t-belt service, etc).

Also it looks like its been titled in a few places:
- 1st owner 02/20/1997 New York (or Hadley MA)
- 2nd owner 09/08/1999 Pennsylvania (sold at auction, listed as "fleet vehicle")
re-titled 10/28/99 in Barrington IL
- 3rd owner 10/01/2002 Virginia (titled in Eden Prairie MN)
sold at auction in Georgia 11/19/2003
- 4th owner 03/30/2004 Maryland (108K miles)

An EML title is issued when the owner discloses an odometer rollover to a DMV. Rollovers occur on vehicles with 5-digit odometers that go from 99,999 to 00,000 every 100,000 miles.

03/31/2004 Maryland (Ellicott City MD)
Motor Vehicle Dept.

unclear WHY they issued this "EXCEEDS LIMITS" title

Exceeds Mechanical Limits
A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Truth-in-Mileage Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer.

FYI: This car last sold at auction for 31k... something to keep in mind! ;)

From the ebay listing: "You can literally drive across the US and with out any problems"

From the milage it would appear that has already been done several times :eek:

The person to talk to here, IMO, would be the person who put the 86K on it over 4 years...got to be a story there. It would appear current owner bought at auction, so he probably didnt get an background. Current owner seems legit, however selling the car after only a few months of ownership-what is story there.

I don't know, I think if I was going to buy a very high milage car (and I have in the past) I would want to have service history and buy from someone who knows the history (and can document it) of the car.

Current owner just woke up one day and discovered the car was too small :confused: , I think he either can afford it or has run into an expensive
problem, etc. Guy seems honest but uninformed, which is just as dangerous.
I'd pass unless you can get a full inspection and the motor is super tight.

ceeya32 said:
Jam how do you know that?
I am a silent partner in an Auto Brokering firm based in NY, and I have access to auction records. From those records, and the miles/color and date of auction... you can tell what the car sold for and when/where.

Well, it is true that this car sold at auction for $31,000, but that was in October of 2003, and it had 106,345 miles on it at that time (and it was also rated "above average" in terms of condition). So, in the last 11 months, someone put on around 6000 miles, which is nothing unusual. Clearly, this was sold at auction to a dealer, who then sold it to a user who drove it for a year, and now wants out. Nothing strange about that in my opinion (especially since the seller is in Maryland, and he may have just enjoyed it for the summer, and now wants to sell before the winter). Just an opinion, I don't know the car, or the people involved.

There was a buy it now of $35,000 when I saw the car on eBay the first day. Once a bid of 29k was placed the buy it now automaticlly went away. Has anyone noticed that the seller has a VT email. Virginia Tech? pretty nice car for a student.

Another thing I don't get is why it was Virginia registered in IL and MN?

anybody ask the seller if the t-belt and clutch has been serviced?

Lud said:
Here are several posts from the owner of the car in question when he first bought it earlier this year: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29346

Faculty/staff/alumni can all have a ???.edu address.

The detective skills of this Forum amaze me!!! :eek: :cool:

Read the last owner's thread. It sounds like he was driving it HARD after he got it serviced. A lot can go wrong with any car with > 100K miles if you drive the snot out of it.

Buyer beware!

Read the last owner's thread. It sounds like he was driving it HARD after he got it serviced. A lot can go wrong with any car with > 100K miles if you drive the snot out of it.

I would suggest you do a pre-purchase inspection including a LEAK DOWN TEST/Compression test on the motor. The car has had a lot of owners so its hard to know its history.

I've been monitoring the car, and thinking about its purchase. I found out its been through 2 auctions in the last year.

1) Car was purchased by Original owner from NY and lived in MA.
3) In 99, car was auctioned at Manheim. Does not note reposession, but would assume such was the case as their was no bill of sale from owner to dealer, etc.
4) Car purchased by PA owner (#2)
5) Car sold from PA owner to VA owner in 1 month (#3)
6) Vehicle Service Incident usually comes up when an incident has occured by a certified dealer that also has an authorized repair body facility OR an authorized facility that also has a carfax license and issues registration checks. This was done in July, and most inspections are only valid from 30-90 days dependant upon the state.
7) End of October, the car is renewed for registration. (Past 90 days of 7/12)

Note at 10/28/99 Car had reported only 20k miles. In 10/24/03 Car had reported 106k miles. In 4 years, 86k miles were reported. More then 20k a year.

It looks like the VA owner was the one who had established the miles. In Oct & Nov 03 Car went from Auction in PA to Auction in GA. Sold from one Auction company, bought by independent dealer, and then resold at auction in GA by another dealer. That is where the owner from MD bought the vehicle.

As you can see it has had a hard life. A possibility of the Service remark in the carfax might be an Odometer change as a nother possiblity, and title might have been branded as such. When MD owner purchased vehicle, that is how the TMU/EML was placed...

Any how, the punchlist the dealer gave is about accurate in my opinion. I tried emailing the owner a few times when he had listed it on autotrader and then on ebay about visitng the vehicle, and I didn't get a reply...

Hopefully this weekend I'll take a look.

Charlie.

Back