• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

in need of factory 1997 rear wheel asap

Got it covered - McCool, you're the man! I owe you big time!

Last edited:
I made it just outside of Indy and stopped to get fuel. As I was pumping fuel, I saw the air compressor at the next island over and figured I better check the tires since Jamie said he hadn't driven the car in about a month. Started on the fronts and when I made it to the passenger rear I noticed 2 spoked were cracked clean through. I know it wasn't like that when I left Cinci, and I know I didn't hit anything while driving (not even a pothole), so I'm sure he was unaware of them too.

IMG_20130628_183210_407_zpse05536cf.jpg

It was weird, no curb marks and when I had the tire shop pull the tire off and put it on their balancer, it came out true as could be. Anyway Mr. McCool came to my rescue and brought me his stock rear wheels to get it home on (shipping them back to you tomorrow bud!).

Strangely enough, I actually had a matching factory rear wheel in my garage. A guy I know who builds trophy and offroad trucks gave me a pair a couple years ago (before I had thought an NSX was a possibility). I had sold the one that was in better condition and the other has followed me from 2 different shops I've rented and 2 different houses now. I would always joke when people asked what it was for and say "My NSX, I'm building it one piece at a time and that's the start". Well, thankfully me being lazy about selling it paid off. Got home and swapped the good tire on it and the car is good to go.

Oh, and the "Too tall guy" cushion I bought off you guys works excellent. Install was straight forward and it made the car that much more comfortable to drive! Hell, I even drove the car to go get some groceries for the wife today, because I didn't feel like firing up my 1 Ton diesel.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it was shipped to Source1 when they bought it from Florida, but I do know the PO told me that they had to send more than 1 truck, because the original wasn't low enough. I've been keeping a close eye on the other wheels and haven't seen anything of concern yet. I plan on ordering aftermarket wheels for it in the near future, but after finding out yesterday we'll be having a baby girl this go around (we've got an 18 month old son) I figure I better not get too crazy since I can already see the wife is going to go on a spending spree for girly stuff, lol.

That is VERY odd!

We are the only shop as far as I know that has touched that car since Jamie bought it so I am sure the wheel wasn't overtightened. Those wheels were not on the car when it was shipped so not sure honestly what would cause that other than hitting something. Wow. Glad Chris hooked you up ( super cool guy ) and you made it home safely. Also glad you like the cushion. Enjoy it! Saw it cleaned up some and it looks amazing. Congrats again!

That is weird... could it be pure fatigue? I don't think so... perhaps there was some wheel damage on one of the spokes, it cracked as a result and then the other spoke went because it was taking more load?

Back