• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inside mirror

I am interested in replacing the rear view mirror on the windshield with one that has homelink transmitter as well as outside temp and compass. Has anyone done this and how difficult would it be to take the windshield trim off as well as the A pillar trim? Thanks in advance.
George

I have never taken the molding or trim off, but I have watched it being done, twice. A sharp tech at an autoglass shop could probably take it all off in 15 minutes. These guys have the tools and experience - they know how to do it.

Last edited:
I am interested in replacing the rear view mirror on the windshield with one that has homelink transmitter as well as outside temp and compass. Has anyone done this and how difficult would it be to take the windshield trim off as well as the A pillar trim? Thanks in advance.
George

I just had this done. I picked up a Gentex mirror...look on ebay (I found one here on prime). Do a search in the electronics section here on Gentex and you will get lots of info. Just did a search in the vendor section..lots of info here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44341&highlight=gentex

Keep in mind...I went to a very reputable glass shop and he said there is a 50% chance of the glass breaking when heating up the oem "button" to remove it. Others have had success w/ using a plier/razor blade but again leave it up to the pros. I then had the same issues that others had w/ gluing the new gentex button to the windshield. I even went to the pros w/ their commercial grade adhesive. Whatever you do, be patient and let the button dry for several days before attaching the mirror. Even after I did that though, it still fell off. What finally worked for me at least was using an epoxy from Home Depot. I put liberal amount of it on the button, stuck it on the windshield, held it in place with painters tape, and used my golf putter w/ cover (cover dash/console with towels in case it falls) to keep pressure on the button over night. Oh, forgot to mention that I roughed up the button on the side attaching to the windshield. It worked like a charm in the end and is staying on there. I recall another prime member using Krazy glue to finally get it to hold. It was worth it in the end. Just be sure to keep the harness attached to the mirror once you mount it. If the mirror falls off you don't want it to break or scratch up the center console!! It will just hang from the harness. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Back