• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Insurance at NSXPO

Da Hapa said:
Normally, I would agree with you and that's really the reason why I'm so bummed out about this. I've done some autocross driving in previous cars (Honda S2000) but I've never had the chance to get any "real" high performance driver's ed.

But, and this is just my own personal decision, in as much as I realize the risk of something happening in a well organized event with mature adults is slim... I'm a conservative guy (hell... I'm a banker) and I can't risk wrapping my $50K asset around a concrete wall without insurance. I couldn't look my wife in the eyes and more importantly... I probably would be wound up so tight that I wouldn't enjoy the driving.

I think I'm still going to go to NSXPO, however. My wife can't make it but I have family in Scottsdale/Cave Creek and this is a great opportunity to meet some fellow NSXers and socialize.

But I'm pretty bummed.

FYI,

Check out the Shifter Kart classes that are offered by Bondurant in the evenings, you might enjoy participating in one of those classes while you are in AZ for NSXPO :cool:

Ken

2slow2speed said:
I personally run with multiple clubs all over CA/NV/OR/WA/AZ and most of them do have good programs for HPDE's and there are plenty of good racing schools too unlike other parts of the US that might not be that much into motorsports or might lack the facilities, schools, etc.
Boy, does that sound provincial (if not arrogant)! You should try traveling to track events in other places instead of making false claims about them.

I've driven in track events at every NSXPO (in Colorado, Ohio, California twice, Georgia, Wisconsin, Texas, and New York, and planning to go to Arizona and F..., I mean, another state ;) next year) and I've driven in track events all over the United States (throughout the Midwest, as well as a few other assorted states elsewhere). There are good programs for HPDEs in every part of the country. Some of the non-profit marque clubs and for-profit groups hold events nationwide, while others cover only a certain region or even just a single track. The truth is, you can do this everywhere. Okay, I don't know of any tracks in Alaska, and I think there's just one in Hawaii (and if you're on the wrong island, it might not be so easy to get there). But pretty much everywhere you go in the Lower 48, there are one or more tracks holding good programs within a day's drive, and from almost any good-sized metropolitan area, within half a day's drive or less.

However, again, none of them are geared specifically towards NSX drivers, except for NSXPO and an occasional event put on in cooperation with the NSXCA. And only NSXPO features a school in which every student is driving an NSX.

Wow guys. I certainly didn't mean to get all of this started.

First of all, I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and everyone's viewpoints.

I'm a really conservative guy. Always have been, always will be. I realize that the chances of something happen on the track at NSXPO aren't very good but that 1 in 100 chance is too much risk for me to be comfortable with.

I like the idea of buying a track car (say used Miata) but I'm already on three cars with two drivers. Heck... really on 1 driver since my wife hates driving and I do 99% of the driving (we carpool to work). I doubt I can make that sale to the wife.

I'm still leaning towards attending NSXPO for the other activities and the chance to meet other owners. Maybe I can mooch a ride along with one of the instructors instead ( :biggrin: ) but for now I think I'm going to remain bummed that my little black beauty and I won't be able to play in the arena she was designed to enjoy.

OK, I did not mean to *insult* anyone nor be *disrespectful* either. I think that everyone should take a deep breath chill and relax :cool:, hehe.

I don't think that I was being provincial nor arrogant, I don't have problems attending other track events in other states and I was not dissing other tracks/states/schools/organizations/etc either.

My comment had to do with someone from SoCal like DaHapa, if a NSX owner from SoCal decided to attend a track event/racing school in the future they can do so almost year round simply because there are so many tracks here in CA and the number of schools/organizations that are here run almost year round, and the weather conditions make it possible to do so. In other words the freedom and flexibility factor that we happen to have here in CA for example. (That might apply to other states as well, but hopefully you do get my point)

Someone from a different part of the US or from Canada might not have the same flexibility to do so, because there might be issues with the weather, conflicts of schedule, lack of track days, lack of facilities, lack of other fellow NSX owners who track, etc, etc, that's it, nothing more nothing less.

Sometimes the desire might be there but it might be impractical to do so for some folks.

For those folks they will need to plan *way* ahead because of one reason or another and perhaps for those folks NSXPO might be a good place to learn to track their NSXs, but that might not hold true for *every* NSX owner.

As you mentioned, the various NSXCA chapters are pretty active putting up events as well, so there are plenty of opportunities available for us to drive along with other NSX owners if we chose to do so, and even without direct participation from the NSXCA you can manage to go to track events with other NSX owners as long as folks coordinate with each other.

Don't we see that all the time in the regional forums here in NsxPrime?

And to clarify, if someone wants to attend the NSXPO05 track event, that's fine with me, if someone does not want to attend the NSXPO05 track event that's fine with me as well. I have no vested interest either way.

However I don't want to see people been peer pressured to attend an event if they are not comfortable doing so, regardless if it's NSXPO, or any other track event.

There are usually 2 types of students that are a real pain to deal with, those who are overconfident about their own abilities and drive way beyond their skills/means and those who are so worried about their cars that they will do *anything* to prevent their cars from getting any scratches, dents, etc.

And those of you who have instructed know what I am talking about. If someone is not comfortable driving their car at the track, I would rather have them *not* drive at the track at all, driving at the track requires concentration and a positive attitude as well as a willingness to take responsibility for their *own* actions. Sometimes it might be easier to just go off straight and get some scratches from pebbles, rock chips etc rather than just trying to save the car at all costs which in turn can lead to a big mess that could have been prevented.

BTW: You can disect and read whatever you want from my comments, but I hope that I'm making some kind of sense here.

Ken

Thanks for clarifying that, because your earlier statement sounded, well, you know what it sounded like.

The fact is, though, that even in northern climates, we get plenty of track time. Events typically are run for seven months a year (early April through late October), and those who feel a need to extend their track season can drive to events at tracks further south (not even the deep south, just further south than here). No one is suffering from a lack of track days or facilities or events or the other factors that you seem to think characterizes the rest of the country. Anyone who is interested can easily drive in track events every weekend for those seven months, and can drive further south in the other five months, too. Just ask Mark Bartlett, who has driven in 35-40 events in the past year.

I also think that you are mischaracterizing some of the other posts here. No one is trying to tell DaHapa (or anyone else) to sign up for a track event if he's not comfortable doing so. I don't see that in any of the posts, yet you seem to be claiming this over and over again.

I still think that NSXPO is an excellent track event for those who are interested in participating. The safety is stressed as much as with any group I've driven with. And that's not just my opinion; the management at Road America said the same thing following the track event there as part of NSXPO 2001. But the simple fact is that accidents still can happen, anywhere, with any group, no matter how safely the event is run; it's an inherent risk in this activity.

And you're also correct that 90 percent of the risk is in the control of the driver. Of the incidents that I've seen over the years (and DaHapa was correct in characterizing the rate as 1-2 percent in most events), all have been single-car incidents, and almost all have been caused by driver error. I have perhaps never seen an incident by a driver driving at "seven tenths" of his, and his car's, capabilities; the incidents occur among those who are intent on driving faster, usually too soon, rather than building up speed in gradual increments. I don't think it's a coincidence that some drivers can drive in dozens, even hundreds, of track events without an incident, and others have them. I've seen track drivers that I knew, from their personalities, would have an incident sooner rather than later, and in most cases, I unfortunately turned out to be right. What I'm getting at is that the driver who is more deliberate about learning and about building up speed with experience is more likely to be safe, and less likely to have an incident, than one who is not. Not that the risk goes away entirely, but it can be greatly reduced by a degree of self-awareness and self-control on the part of the student.

Da Hapa,

I can definitely relate to your being conservative and it seems that not participating at the track event at NSXPO 2005 is the right decision for you. Needless to say that the Social aspect of this years NSXPO will be a lot of FUN and we're happy to hear that you're probably going to make it this year. I'm sure that you'll really enjoy the comraderie among other NSX owners and getting the opportunity to see so many beautiful and unique cars in the same location, in addition to all of the fun activities planned.

Definitely get a ride with one of the instructors if you get the opportunity. That is a great way to see the potential of the car in the hands of an experienced track driver & a real thrill.

Looking forward to meeting you at NSXPO 2005!

Back