• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Intermittent sub woofer amp?

Senario: When I start the car up and begin to drive, only the door speakers work with no sub and no rear middle speaker working. Maybe after 10-20 min of driving and listening to the music constantly (not turning it off), eventually the sub amp turns on and I hear the sub and rear speaker working.... most of the time the rear middle speaker will start to have a "weezing" or static sound coming from it (I assume the amp). But it does this all the time, like the sub amp needs to "warm up" or something before the sub begins to work.

I did a search and I assume that the sub amp can/should be rebuilt or fixed, or I may just be able to resolder some of the connections if I take it apart (I'm familiar with EE design). But my question is, is the amp going bad, thus the intermittent problem that I'm having, and will repairing it or changing it out fix the problem? Or is the problem else where and somebody has previously come across this and fixed it?

Thanks

by Jerry Seinfeld
Hello, Newman .......
Typical - Defintely bad amplifier(s).
The failures are not bad connections, but bad components. The caps typically fail & occasionally the output FET's - see the other question directly below in this forum for other references of info
Replace them all (both doors & sub). If you can handle a soldering iron you could try a home repair - many references for what value components you need & where to buy them.

It's probably the amps, but there's something you should check first, because it's very, very easy to check and, in some rare cases like mine, it's the actual problem. I had symptoms like yours. The sub/center would be off when I started the car, and then start cutting back in after a while. Months went by and then the sides went out too. After driving for a while, they'd come back in first, and then the sub/center.

See here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32491

Aiken Drum said:
It's probably the amps, but there's something you should check first, because it's very, very easy to check and, in some rare cases like mine, it's the actual problem. I had symptoms like yours. The sub/center would be off when I started the car, and then start cutting back in after a while. Months went by and then the sides went out too. After driving for a while, they'd come back in first, and then the sub/center.

See here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32491

I saw that already and tried it a couple of weeks ago.... no change (even borrowed some from another NSX and still no change). Looks like I'll just install an aftermarket amp, possibly behind the passenger seat, and run new door & rear speakers and a new sub :p

It was the amp

It was the amp that was the problem. Just swapped out the unit for a 97 unit (thanks TurboNSX) and the sub and rear speaker is working great now. Actually they're working so good that I notice that my door speakers are really shot (amps) and there is poor sound and a slight weezy/static noise coming from the speakers (when I put my ear up to them), so it looks like I'll be changing out the door speakers next.

I posted up in the NSX Wanted forum for some door amps..... anyone have any that they're not using anymore? PM me if so. Thanks.

Back