• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

internal motor work

From all the information I've seen, it would seem to me that the NA1 motor can only handle around 400 hp at the crank. Does anyone know what exactly is the weekness in the motor if somebody was interested in attaining more horsepower. What should be replaced or changed?

The weak link in the NSX motor is the cast pistons. The crank is probably not very strong either. I have seen 600hp turboed NSX, but they are no stock engine
smile.gif

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

You are right -- the motor will not take more than 450hp for very long because it is an open deck short block. you can get the block rebuilt by Comptech or JG with an aluminum girdle and forged pistons. This design is much stronger than stock. My shortblock will probably take 700/800hp with no reduction in reliability.

Originally posted by David:
You are right -- the motor will not take more than 450hp for very long because it is an open deck short block. you can get the block rebuilt by Comptech or JG with an aluminum girdle and forged pistons. This design is much stronger than stock. My shortblock will probably take 700/800hp with no reduction in reliability.

David,

Who (CT or JG) did your block? How much did it run? Did you have to ship the car to the shop to do the block?

Thanks in advance.

-nel

JG did the block and screwed the rebuild up worse than any machine work I have ever seen. Refused to refund a penny.

Had the motor re-done in Dallas and now all is well, but pissed away too much money on JG. I would have Comptech do the work over anyone else in the country. They are a great machine shop and know the motor very well. I talked an acquantance here in Austin into having his motor decked and forged pistons put in and Comptech did a great job on his motor. Some of the nicest machine work I have ever seen. Not too expensive for that kind of work, either.

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you would like to discuss this in detail. There are a couple of other things you should get done if you are going to crack the engine open.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 24 February 2001).]

From all the information I've seen, it would seem to me that the NA1 motor can only handle around 400 hp at the crank. Does anyone know what exactly is the weekness in the motor if somebody was interested in attaining more horsepower. What should be replaced or changed?

The car. If you're looking for a car with 800+ hp, there are better cars to start out with. Of course, they don't have the reliability of the NSX, or the handling of the NSX, or... well, you get the picture. Decide what you want - if it's only horsepower, there are better places to look.

I think that's missing the point. If jon69 can get 400+ horsepower from the NA1 motor more power to him. Following that philosophy nobody would be drag racing civics or integras, they'd all be in camaros or mustangs. Many NSX owners would love more power above what a supercharger, headers, exhaust, chip, and intake provide. What would be wrong with handling precision, excellent build quality, ergonomic ease, braking ability, AND MASSIVE HP?! At least they'd like to know what's possible. I say explore the limits but just make sure to keep us updated - that means you too David.

Shawn

Back