• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Intresting 02 NSX information from Cush Acura!

I wanted to let you know we have just received our “one and
only” NSX for this year. The total NSX production for the model year 2002 will
be 245 vehciles, 230 are slated for the United States with 40 of those coming
into California, San Diego will receive 2. The NSX's are build at the Motogia
plant in Japan, that plant is located right next to a race track and each
vehicle is tested before it is shipped. As a result the NSX we have has just
under 60 miles on it. It is a silver NSX-T with silver leather and a 6 speed
manual transmission. We will be selling the NSX at MSRP which is $89,765.00
plus tax, license and documentation fee.

Dealers kill me. Why is nothing they say about their own products ever completely correct?!?!

There is no Honda facility called "Motogia."

Maybe they are thinking of the famous race track in Japan named Motegi (see the current Picture of the Month).

The NSX is produced in Honda's Takanezawa plant in the Tochigi prefecture. That plant was built specifically for building the NSX, though some other cars (S2000, Insight) are now built there as well.

Sorry for the rant... I know there are good dealers out there, but they seem to be the exception.

Lud,

Agreed. But the sad part is what they probably got correct.

Only 245 cars.

About 1/25 of the original anticipated production number.

What a shame.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Fifteen NSX for the ROW? They will never sell.
smile.gif

Saw the Twin Ring Motegi CART race last night and I think the pace car looked fanfugutastic. FUGU ME!

I was told the same by Hoehn, 245 total production and 230 would be delivered to N.A., the remainder would be distributed throughout the globe. Second, each dealership would only get or be alloted ONE '02 car.

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Lud,

Agreed. But the sad part is what they probably got correct.

Only 245 cars.

About 1/25 of the original anticipated production number.

What a shame.

-Jim

They anticipated to sell 6,125 cars? That is a lot more than they sold the first year the car was in production and I believe almost as many cars as they have made to date.

Originally posted by Carguy!:
They anticipated to sell 6,125 cars? That is a lot more than they sold the first year the car was in production

No, it isn't. The first year, they hit their annual sales target of approximately 7,000 cars worldwide including 3,000 in the United States.

Originally posted by Lud:
Dealers kill me. Why is nothing they say about their own products ever completely correct?!?!

Shouldn't this thread be in the "NSXs for sale" forum? Or has it been allowed to stay because of the misinformation and the production figures?

------------------
'91 Black/Black

It's kind of weird to think that perhaps half of all the NSXs ever produced are those produced in the first two years.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by bb6:
I was told the same by Hoehn, 245 total production and 230 would be delivered to N.A., the remainder would be distributed throughout the globe. Second, each dealership would only get or be alloted ONE '02 car.

These numbers don't pass the common sense test. Well actually they do, but only in typical dealer double-speak. Let me explain.

They are probably absolutely correct that there will only be 15 Acura NSXs sold elsewhere. They will be sold in Hong Kong! The car is a Honda NSX in the rest of the world. Actually I would not be surprised if 15 was for Canada + Hong Kong but I'm not really sure what NSX annual sales are in either place.

US sales of the NSX are historically a little less than half of worldwide NSX sales, so total 2002 NSX production (Honda + Acura) will probably be 500+. I'm sure they will sell more than 15 Honda NSXs just in Japan.

230 delivered to the US does sound about right. That would be in line with annual sales for the last few years though, so I it doesn't come as a huge revelation or surprise.

Finally, the claim that there will be one of the 230 cars allocated to each Acura dealer is more "dealer math." According to www.acura.com there are more than 230 Acura dealers in the US. Hmmm.

...breathing...deeper...calming.....down....

I really am a positive person and try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have just had such bad dealer experiences that I think I am now jaded for life. Stuff like this only reinforces my negative feelings
frown.gif
It seems so many dealer employees (esp. in sales) have a compulsion to take one bit of factual information (such as # of 2002 NSXs slated for the US) and spin a story full of sounds-credible-to-the-average-Joe BS around it.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 27 April 2002).]

Finally, the claim that there will be one of the 230 cars allocated to each Acura dealer is more "dealer math." According to www.acura.com there are more than 230 Acura dealers in the US. Hmmm.

I believe there are around 280 or so Acura dealers in the U.S. That would make the average allocation would be about one per dealer. However, I believe that there will be some dealers who are allocated, and sell, more than one NSX. I also believe there are well over 50 of those dealers that haven't sold a new NSX for the past several years and probably won't get one allocated this year either.

Acura 101 West (in Calabasas, California) has 2 '02 NSXs, one yellow and one black in their showroom.

Second, each dealership would only get or be alloted ONE '02 car.

Don't believe everything you hear... especially from a dealer. Goodson Acura (hosts to NSteXpo and NSXPO this year) is on their third 2002 model... two black and one red.

EDR

Originally posted by gomaidy:
230 NSX for the US and ONLY 15 for the rest of the world? Those 02 NSXs are rare.
To release this low a volume, and to comply with Federal/other crash tests, is a sign of Acura's commitment to this market IMO. Most other marques won't even bother.

From the 230, assuming 20% are auto-box (or 26 cars); they'd need to crash-test at least one C30 slushbox. The economics suggest that are probably NOT really planning to sell '02 slushboxes. As an aside, no '02 coupes or special editions either
frown.gif

Is anyone familiar of the crash-test program for the 02 re-skin model ?

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in anything stated by this dealership, other than the approximate quantity to be sold in the States, which we already knew. Don't worry about analyzing what it all means. Just drive your NSX and forget about it.

Originally posted by cojones:

To release this low a volume, and to comply with Federal/other crash tests, is a sign of Acura's commitment to this market IMO. Most other marques won't even bother.

I don't believe US DOT requirements would force a crash test for simple cosmetic updates like the 02 has. As long as you can show resonable evidence the design change would not alter the crash test data, you can use the earlier certification.

I have just had such bad dealer experiences that I think I am now jaded for life.

It is very apparent!
wink.gif

And, boy, do you guys get upset easy..... Whew, the poor dealer just sent out an ad with one mistake in it. Do you all really think they were trying to lie to you? I'd say they were just dumb about the place of production rather than deceiving. By the way, there are only 245 02 NSXs bound for 'North America', of which 230 will be sold in the U.S. And yes, there are well over 230 Acura dealers countrywide and allocation will be based as all allocations are based. Those that sell 'em will get 'em. Most Acura stores will never even see one. About 40% of the total Acura dealers will sell 100% of the NSXs.

When did the 2002's hit the show rooms anyway? I've seen 2003 of other cars already? When does the 2003 NSX come out? I think they are going to find it hard to sell the 230 or so this year. I think the other sports cars have closed the gap that existed in the early 90's and are making cars that simply have better performance stats per dollar. The NSX is my favorite car, but even I think the 2002 is over priced (and doesn't look as good as the pre 2002 cars IMO). The NSX NEEDS 400+HP to compete in todays market place IMO. Maybe Honda should just let the NSX die and start from scratch with their electric hybrid thinga-majig.

------------------
1994 Red/Black NSX #418

Originally posted by hendu:
When did the 2002's hit the show rooms anyway? I've seen 2003 of other cars already? When does the 2003 NSX come out?

The manufacturer can sell a car as part of a given model year as early as January 1 of the previous year. Thus, since the 2002 came out a couple of months ago, Acura could have skipped the 2002 and called the refreshed version the 2003 if they wanted to, but they didn't.

It's not clear when the 2003 will be out. In past years, the introduction of the new model year designation has been as early as September 1 of the previous year (in 1990 for the 1991 NSX) and as late as February of the current year (for the 2002 NSX).

Back