• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPhone 5 Compatibility Issue With USA Spec PA11-HON

If I knew earlier the iPhone 5 wouldn't be compatible with my USA Spec PA11-HON even with the converter, I would've bought a different phone. The PA11-HON is compatible up to iPhone 4S and wouldn't connect with my iPhone 5. Anyone else have the same problem? Any solutions to this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Adapter...001566?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item1c2d97b61e

this is what i used to try connecting with and didn't detect my new iphone 5. i think apple changed the system settings so a new type of direct cable is needed or a brand new programmed system...

That looks like a very sketchy off-brand 30 pin to Lightning adapter. Try the official one from the Apple store - as far as I know it's the only one that's supported.

i was wondering about this , i hope it works with the oem adaptor , ima buy one on friday if i have time

I agree, it totally looks like a sketchy adapter. This is probably something that USA Spec can answer very easily, but there's a high likelihood that even the Apple branded adapter may not work.

The old 30-pin adapter allowed for both the iAP/MFi specific protocol to work in parallel with analog audio, so that devices like an iPod adapter could search through the iPod library and control the iPod/iPhone with Apple-specific messages, and in response, the iPod/iPhone could then transmit the requested audio back out in analog audio over something like AUX.

From what I've read online, the move to the lightning adapter removes this dual functionality so that you can't transmit analog audio at the same time. The iPhone would transmit digital audio and the sink, or car in this case, would need to have a DAC to process that. BMW seems to have taken a hit on this since their iPod adapters aren't compatible with the lightning cable, while it seems some of the other OEM's solutions might be?

Anyway, I have no idea how US Spec implemented the protocols but finding out is as easy as an email or buying/testing an official adapter. I have the GROM unit myself and rely on BT Audio so i'm still okay, but would be interested to see how this develops.

yeah, so i might try going to the apple store to test out their lightning connector to see if it'll detect my iphone in my nsx with the usa spec. i emailed usa spec and the guy replied
Did you buy the Apple lightining converter or a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party>?
so I'm assuming maybe that's the problem... the chip.

if anyone has already tried to connect with the lightning connector, please chime in on here! thanks!

ok im happy to report that the oem lighting to 30 pin adaptor does work and charge the iphone 5 .yay:smile:

do no waste your money on non oem apple

Last edited:
cool thanks! so i got an email from USA Spec saying that the Apple lightning converter will work with the adapter... i haven't had time to get one.

I see your problem has been answered and solved already. I had a generic adapter on my ridgeline, the oem Apple adapter worked perfectly with my iPhone 5. Now I have the USA Spec BT35-HON and couldn't be happier with the bluetooth connectivity. Too bad it doesn't work with the NSX, from what I've read.

So now I exchanged my previous iPhone 5 for another one at the Apple store cuz of some glitches. The previous one worked like a charm with the OEM lightning converter. But now, the new iPhone 5 I received with the 6.0.2 OS is not playing in my car! All it does is charge. Anyone else have this problem? Do you guys think it's the iPhone itself or the software upgrade?

Did you get this sorted out? Curious to know as I am about to purchase this same kit and own an iPhone 5. Anyone else having issues?
So now I exchanged my previous iPhone 5 for another one at the Apple store cuz of some glitches. The previous one worked like a charm with the OEM lightning converter. But now, the new iPhone 5 I received with the 6.0.2 OS is not playing in my car! All it does is charge. Anyone else have this problem? Do you guys think it's the iPhone itself or the software upgrade?

Just an FYI, I posted a while back about a small BT adapter that just plugs into the 30 pin plug of the us spec adapter. It connects automatically, and will stream pandora, iPod music, audible, and navigations directions through the stereo without any problem. It works with the iPhone 4,5 and android. It doesn't charge of course...

It' the software update I remember mine working flawlessly it use to play all playlist and its songs. But now after the software update it has a mind of its own it still play and charge but the songs and playlist is out of sequence it only plays certain music don't know why. Navigation audio still works.

ok im happy to report that the oem lighting to 30 pin adaptor does work and charge the iphone 5 .yay:smile:

Interestingly, I now have a USA Spec PA11 but it does *not* charge any phones that are connected to it - neither old iPhone 4s over 30pin, or iPhone 5s using the adapter...

What do I have to do to my USA Spec adapter to get it to charge phones?

no idea works on mines both 4s and 5

Interestingly, I now have a USA Spec PA11 but it does *not* charge any phones that are connected to it - neither old iPhone 4s over 30pin, or iPhone 5s using the adapter...

Sounds like a hardware issue.

There is an update on the 30 pin cable to resolve charging issues like this

Back