• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

USA SPEC PA11-HON compatabilty with iphone v 5.1

I upgraded my iphone 3GS to version 5.1 last week and since then the message “Charging is not supported with this accessory” is displayed on the iphone screen. The unit plays fine through the car unit but no longer charges......rendering the unit useless for anything more than a short journey.
I spoke to USA SPEC support (after they failed to answer my email) who told me to reset the unit by disconnecting the 8 pin din plug then reconnecting. Should this not resolve the problem, I should send the unit back to them for repair. The unit is just over one year old.

Has anyone had this problem or if you have version 5.1 on your iphone, does the unit still charge?

Cheers,

It looks like this is a common issue (the unsupported charger with 5.1 not a PA11-HON issue)

found this on the web, give it a shot and let us know if it works.

Had the same problem when upgraded to ios 5.1 . Fixed the problem by turning wi-fi off and replugging in charger. Charged normally while wi-fi off."

" turn airplane mode on then power off your phone, plug your phone into your computer and power it back on, then turn airplane mode off and power your phone down again - when you power back on - charging works!!"

It looks like this is a common issue (the unsupported charger with 5.1 not a PA11-HON issue)

found this on the web, give it a shot and let us know if it works.

Had the same problem when upgraded to ios 5.1 . Fixed the problem by turning wi-fi off and replugging in charger. Charged normally while wi-fi off."

" turn airplane mode on then power off your phone, plug your phone into your computer and power it back on, then turn airplane mode off and power your phone down again - when you power back on - charging works!!"

Hi and thanks for the reply....

I've tried everything you mention a few times including turning off WiFi but still the same message of no charging supported.

Anyone else have any solutions or bright ideas?

Cheers,

I know someone who works for Apple and does testing for their iPod interface. I'll ask if he knows anything about this issue.

Here's the response that I received. Hope it helps.
I'd check and see if his phone has problems charging with
other things or if its just with this adapter. I would also borrow a
friends phone or iPod and see if that also displays the message, or if
its just his iPhone in particular. That should narrow it down a bit.
If it seems to be a problem with the adapter, it's possible his
adapter isn't supplying enough power... which could be a problem with
just his unit or else it could be a problem with this accessory in
general. Or else it could be a communication thing and the
manufacturer would need to update the unit or provide an updated
replacement.

Here's the response that I received. Hope it helps.

Thanks for that Phoen$x.....much appreciated!

My iphone charges correctly with numerous other interfaces. I've plugged in various friend's ipod/iphones and none charge from the USA SPEC PA11-HON which leads me to conclude this unit is at fault.

I spoke to USA SPEC support yesterday and the first question from them was "Why did you upgrade your iphone os?". Their website clearly states this unit is compatible with version 5.1. They also told me that if I purchased a new unit they couldn't guarantee it would work with my iphone!

I shall send the manufacturer (and SOS who supplied the unit) a request to update the unit or provide an updated replacement. Unfortunately USA SPEC do not reply to my emails so I'm hoping SOS can push them into action......CHRIS, can you help please?

Cheers,

Last edited:
The firmware of your unit may need to be updated. Unfortunately, when Apple makes a significant change to the protocal, this can cause a communication problem. It is best to contact USA Spec tech support directly for this to be done. They can be reached by the e-mail ([email protected]) or telephone number on the support guide (626-336-3836). If you e-mail, please allow 2-3 days for response. If you are not able to receive a resolution, please e-mail us and we will help.

-- Chris

The firmware of your unit may need to be updated. Unfortunately, when Apple makes a significant change to the protocal, this can cause a communication problem. It is best to contact USA Spec tech support directly for this to be done. They can be reached by the e-mail ([email protected]) or telephone number on the support guide (626-336-3836). If you e-mail, please allow 2-3 days for response. If you are not able to receive a resolution, please e-mail us and we will help.

-- Chris

Thanks Chris....I appreciate your input......what you say makes sense: getting sense out of USA Spec support is a different matter.

I've already contacted USA Spec support and am awaiting a positive response.....will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Back